"Paging passenger X to gate Y for immediate departure..."

TomBascom

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
3A
www.greenfieldtech.com
What are these pages all about? What does a passemger have to do to qualify for such a page? I can''t believe that they do this for everyone that isn''t on the plane on time... What happens if they don''t find the passenger?

It is all about security and positive bag match. If you don't board and have checked baggage, we have to remove it.

I have seen this done as a courtesy to a first class passenger when his/her seat is about to be given to a stand by.

thats right it is a courtesy call its the or else call telling you that your seat is about to goto someone else or the doors are about to be shut

It has been going on before bag matching, but it depends on the agent working the flight and if they feel the need to page. Sometimes its for late conx pax to let them know the plane is still there waiting, sometimes we get asked to page "mom or the kids" to the gate so the rest of the group can board, sometimes its just having to "look out" for the passengers who lose track of time and are wandering. There is no set rule on who is to be paged or when, however with the positive bag matching, I'm sure it happens a lot more now than before. It is a pain to have to look for and pull bags and its easier to be proactive and get the people onboard than to start the process only to have them wander up late.