Passenger Dies After Being Subdued

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
NEW YORK (AP) -- Prosecutors are investigating the death of a man who was subdued by several fellow airline passengers after he became disruptive on a New York-bound flight, a spokesman said Sunday

The news release

Interesting part is this just hit CNN.com this morning. The incident happened Friday night. There is no further news as yet.

jimntx said:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Prosecutors are investigating the death of a man who was subdued by several fellow airline passengers after he became disruptive on a New York-bound flight, a spokesman said Sunday

The news release

Interesting part is this just hit CNN.com this morning. The incident happened Friday night. There is no further news as yet.
[post="257465"][/post]​

It was in the New York papers Sunday.

wow I did not hear of that. I commend the people for protecting our flight attendants and other passengers

Act like and idiot, die like one too. Personally I hope he didn't procreate. His genes would definitely be a liability to the human race.
Kudos to those who take it unto themselves to protect common sense.

I'm guessing that he was either EXTREMELY drunk or on drugs of some sort. But then, that begs the question of why was he allowed on the flight in the first place. If this happened on the second beverage service and he wasn't drunk/high when he got on board, then the f/as overserved him.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT excusing his actions, but I had an incident not long ago where I had the captain remove a passenger from the a/c. The young woman was so drunk when she came down the jetbridge, she could barely stand up. She was bouncing off the a/c bulkhead as she stepped on the plane. There is no way that the agent could not have noticed, yet she was allowed to board.

Earlier this year, I had 2 drunk non-revving employees onboard a flight to LAS. There is no way they got drunk on the number of drinks we served them on-board. They must have spent some serious ground time in the bar. When I told them they were cut off, I had to shut them up by threatening to write them up in a way that would have cost them their travel privileges for a long time.

This sort of thing doesn't just put a/c, crew and passengers in danger, it's illegal to board an intoxicated passenger. And, I'm not just blaming the gate agents. We ALL have to be on the lookout for these problems.

Get Over It Already said:
I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if AMFA had been voted in.
[post="257564"][/post]​
I'm also sure you could have prevented it if you were not under your superiors desk hitting your head. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wonder if the passenger was a member of Team TWU?

Given the strange bahavior and possible intoxication, he would qualify.

jimntx said:
I'm guessing that he was either EXTREMELY drunk or on drugs of some sort. But then, that begs the question of why was he allowed on the flight in the first place. If this happened on the second beverage service and he wasn't drunk/high when he got on board, then the f/as overserved him.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT excusing his actions, but I had an incident not long ago where I had the captain remove a passenger from the a/c. The young woman was so drunk when she came down the jetbridge, she could barely stand up. She was bouncing off the a/c bulkhead as she stepped on the plane. There is no way that the agent could not have noticed, yet she was allowed to board.

Earlier this year, I had 2 drunk non-revving employees onboard a flight to LAS. There is no way they got drunk on the number of drinks we served them on-board. They must have spent some serious ground time in the bar. When I told them they were cut off, I had to shut them up by threatening to write them up in a way that would have cost them their travel privileges for a long time.

This sort of thing doesn't just put a/c, crew and passengers in danger, it's illegal to board an intoxicated passenger. And, I'm not just blaming the gate agents. We ALL have to be on the lookout for these problems.
[post="257488"][/post]​
Gee on drugs of some sort. Rodney King was on drugs he fought back and had to be subdued. The La cops had to serve time on that one. 7 guys hold him down and they are heros. Yes I agree 100% but I also would have backed the LA cops.
This clown got what he deserved as I see it. The LA Cops didn't... MO

Get Over It Already said:
I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if AMFA had been voted in.
[post="257564"][/post]​
Hackman said:
I'm also sure you could have prevented it if you were not under your superiors desk hitting your head. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
[post="257621"][/post]​
Decision 2004 said:
I wonder if the passenger was a member of Team TWU?
Given the strange bahavior and possible intoxication, he would qualify.
[post="257643"][/post]​

Must every thread be hijacked by the mechanics union issue?

The amount of threads dedicated to the subject is enough. Go insult yourselves somewhere else.

dreese said:
if operations is as fine as the pic I just want to meet her, all else is really not important :D
[post="257680"][/post]​

In a word. No Opps does not look anything like that picture. Hellen Keller could tell you that.

Good thing you folks are not on a jury. Seems to me we do not know the situation. I seem to recall a situation a year or two ago where a man was killed (on SW I believe) for attempting to breach the cockpit. Ends up he had some illness that made his system wig out.

It seems to me that if 7 passengers subdue an individual and in the process, kill that person, there is a problem with one (or more) persons not doing their job. The force used on King (in my opinion) was excessive and it would also seem to me that if 7 passengers cannot subdue a person with out sever injury we have issues. Given peoples proclivity for violence in this country, how much you want to bet he was beat into submission and then beat some more just to "teach him a lessonâ€￾.

Garfield1966 said:
Good thing you folks are not on a jury. Seems to me we do not know the situation. I seem to recall a situation a year or two ago where a man was killed (on SW I believe) for attempting to breach the cockpit. Ends up he had some illness that made his system wig out.

It seems to me that if 7 passengers subdue an individual and in the process, kill that person, there is a problem with one (or more) persons not doing their job. The force used on King (in my opinion) was excessive and it would also seem to me that if 7 passengers cannot subdue a person with out sever injury we have issues. Given peoples proclivity for violence in this country, how much you want to bet he was beat into submission and then beat some more just to "teach him a lessonâ€￾.
[post="257699"][/post]​

Agreed. Mobs are scary.