Passenger Dies After Being Subdued

The force used on King (in my opinion) was excessive
Would it have been excessive if that drunk killed your kid or parent while driving around LA at excessive speeds under police pursuit? :angry: If you would have lost a family member your tune would not be so forgiving. I bet Rodney dont run from the Police any more. :up:

TIME FOR CHANGE said:
Would it have been excessive if that drunk killed your kid or parent while driving around LA at excessive speeds under police pursuit? :angry: If you would have lost a family member your tune would not be so forgiving. I bet Rodney dont run from the Police any more. :up:
[post="257728"][/post]​

Would it have been excessive if the drunk had decided that if he couldn't get another beer, then no one on that flight would EVER get another beer?

planemech669 said:
Would it have been excessive if the drunk had decided that if he couldn't get another beer, then no one on that flight would EVER get another beer?
[post="257732"][/post]​

Exactly.

If someone is completely uncontrollable -after- having been flex-cuffed, they're a threat to the safety of everyone onboard. For all they knew, this guy could have been on PCP.

TIME FOR CHANGE said:
[post="257728"][/post]​
Once the person is cuffed and down, continuing to beat them is excessive force. Simply holding them down is not. Rodney King is an example of excessive force. After he was down they contiued to punch and kick him.

the situation on WN was similar in some ways. the young man tried to breach the cockpit, while acting deranged. he was subdued more than once, but kept fighting. he died from being aphyxiated (sp?) while being held down. i do not believe the passengers meant for that to happen, but the stupid guy would just not stop. (my guess is that he was on something really strong) i do not fault the pax, they are not trained to do such things, and given the strong emotions of fear and anger, i can see how such a thing could accidentally happen. the press gave us nine kinds of sh*t over that one, saying it was pax air rage gone wrong and trying to imply some kind of wn responsibility. one of our corp. spokeswomen nailed it on TV - "when someone tries to breach the cockpit and take over the a/c, it's not called air rage, it's called 'hijacking' " needless to say, after 9/11 the case was dropped. AA will be ok with this one too. it's sad how it turned out, but the idiot brought it on himself.

PlanetKyle

FA Mikey said:
Once the person is cuffed and down, continuing to beat them is excessive force. Simply holding them down is not. Rodney King is an example of excessive force. After he was down they contiued to punch and kick him.
[post="257746"][/post]​

Good old Rodney the Millionaire should have pulled over immediately and submitted to police orders.

The King thing was so stupid. He's on drugs, runs from the cops, then fights with the cops. Of course I say teach him a lesson. What I'm saying is any normal person would have pulled over and aquiesced, as well they should. You were wrong, take you medicine (ticket here not beating). When he crossed the line and endangered normal citizens then line should have been crossed on him. He fought with the cops. If you were the cop, you too probably would have been frustrated and swung back now that's human nature. They intended to teach him a lesson. I'll bet a lot of people went to school on that one.
It may not be popular but that is my opinion.

Accidents do happen. When SWA had the passenger die after trying to break into the cockpit, he was alive when the plane got to the gate, then died later. One just never knows why and when. I don't think any guilt should be felt by anyone involved with AA or the passengers. Just my thoughts.........

Garfield1966 said:
Good thing you folks are not on a jury. Seems to me we do not know the situation. I seem to recall a situation a year or two ago where a man was killed (on SW I believe) for attempting to breach the cockpit. Ends up he had some illness that made his system wig out.

It seems to me that if 7 passengers subdue an individual and in the process, kill that person, there is a problem with one (or more) persons not doing their job. The force used on King (in my opinion) was excessive and it would also seem to me that if 7 passengers cannot subdue a person with out sever injury we have issues. Given peoples proclivity for violence in this country, how much you want to bet he was beat into submission and then beat some more just to "teach him a lessonâ€￾.
[post="257699"][/post]​
And what if they tried to peacefully restrain him and he beat anyone he could get his hands on. Maybe a mother and her child maybe your wife...maybe your grandmother maybe a crew member. I think what was done was right. Does anyone know what exactly happened

FA Mikey said:
Once the person is cuffed and down, continuing to beat them is excessive force. Simply holding them down is not.  Rodney King is an example of excessive force. After he was down they contiued to punch and kick him.
[post="257746"][/post]​

Not if they continue to resist reasonable efforts to restrain them.
While everybody cites the Rodney King case as excessive force, they fail to see that they were not at the scene and ultimately have no idea of what exactly took place and therefore are in no position to judge or even comment on what happened. Unless you were a 1st person party to the event and know EXACTLY what happened, you only put forth an opinion and one severely lacking in actual information at that.

coolflyingfool said:
Accidents do happen. When SWA had the passenger die after trying to break into the cockpit, he was alive when the plane got to the gate, then died later. One just never knows why and when. I don't think any guilt should be felt by anyone involved with AA or the passengers. Just my thoughts.........
[post="257913"][/post]​

Just FYI, no one "dies on the airplane" on any airline if the airline can help it. Problems of jurisdiction and all, don't you know. Unless the person was declared dead by a physician in the air, you always read that they died "on the jetbridge/on the way to the hospital/at the hospital/while walking down the street 2 weeks later"; just not on the airplane.

operaations said:
I think what was done was right. Does anyone know what exactly happened
[post="257936"][/post]​

Do you mean that they restrained him or that he died over a beer?

It remains to be seen what he really died from.

If he died of a heart attack due to his own actions then its a tragedy.

If he was killed then it was a crime.

Despite the fact that he was disruptive from what I heard he made it clear that he simply wanted another beer. Simply being disruptive, even pushing a flight attendant aside to get a beer is not neccessairly life threatening to anyone, he committed assault, he should have been arrested, but not dead.

Has 9-11 made us so afraid that demanding a beer is worthy of the death penalty?

From the info that came out so far, anyone who says that he got what he deserved is truly warped.

Drunkeness or drugged up is no excuse for disorderly conduct on a commercial airline flight.
Do you mean to tell me that after 9/11 there are people out there who do not know to remain orderly on an airline flight?
There are LOTS of people on the aircraft who are on edge already and watching for ANYONE to act in an improper manner.

If you act in an improper manner on a commercial flight the minimum you can expect is to get the #### kicked out of you by the passengers.[or worse as in this case]

The post 9/11 passengers are not going to sit idle by and let some moron possibly interfer with the normal, safe operation of the flight.

If you remember a similar incident happened on a SWA flight in the last couple of years when someone tried to enter the cockpit without proper authorization.

If anyone out there has a family member who has a mental disability or has a drug or alcohol problem you had better not let them fly by themselfs as you are jeporadizing their personal safety and the safety of the flying public.

We can argue all day long about how much force is excessive when someone is out of control on a commercial flight but the threat needs to be dealt with IMMEDIATELY.People that are afraid are operating under extreme aderalin in their body and do not recognize their own strength and time can stand still during this period.
It is a very bad thing when someone dies for acting improperly on a commercial flight but it was the individual's actions that put him into that position to began with.

This thread has brought home the point that this is a TEXAS based airline. The state that has put to death more of it's citizens than any other state in the union..by far.

Ask for a beer...get the death penalty. And they say there's no justice. :down:

He got what he deserved....do you guys hear yourselves? I think your fear and rage is misplaced...you all need to take those texas peashooters and head over to Pakistan and start looking in some caves for the guy you're really pissed off at...the passengers aren't the enemy.

Latest posts