Passengers Arriving w/o Bags (we need more RJs)

kid5mule

Contributor
Aug 12, 2004
:down:

Express Baggage(the figures that they will publish)
Date PAWOBS Exp Pass Late/lost bags
20Dec 11.3 48000 528
21Dec No data
22Dec 15.9 66000 1056
23Dec No data
24Dec No data
25Dec No data
26Dec No data
27Dec 20.0 73000 1460
28Dec 8.3 62000 496
29Dec 13.6 48000 672
30Dec 16.0 49000 784

Totals 346,000 4,996

Cost of delivering late bags: 5days
Assumption Cost
$5.00/bag $24,980
$10.00/bag $49,990
$15.00/bag $74,940
$20.00/bag $99,920

Assume that in 5 days we spent $75,000 and in a month we
spend $450,000x12=5.4 million/year

We continue to focus on parking 737's and flying more RJ's
that cannot haul bags and passengers. The express operators continue to get their 8% return and show a profit. Mr. Gerrod Glass continues to want further consessions (UAir pilot contract impossed on AWA pilots).
Same garbage different CEO. comments?????????????????

I don't think this is a problem with the airplanes. The CRJs, especially the 700/900 have almost no weight issues. The 200 only with a short flight and a long Alt. Try looking in the miror. Thats where you will find all the bags. -Cape

ps How does mainline US rank in that latest gov listings for pax without bags? And you are trying to put this on the regionals? Please. Clean up your own house before you try and make fun of mine.

I don't think this is a problem with the airplanes. The CRJs, especially the 700/900 have almost no weight issues. The 200 only with a short flight and a long Alt. Try looking in the miror. Thats where you will find all the bags. -Cape

ps How does mainline US rank in that latest gov listings for pax without bags? And you are trying to put this on the regionals? Please. Clean up your own house before you try and make fun of mine.
Sorry if you took my comments about baggage personally; that was not my intention. We are wasteing millions by using the 50 seater in markets where there should be mailine aircraft. The RJ was designed for short haul, thin markets where weight should not be an issue. Management has used them to outsource the airline. Example: MSP-PHL. During the month of July the airline spent over $30,000 delivering late bags. How do you think all those people felt without there "stuff". How do you think a person feels after riding 2:45 minuets in an RJ?(PHL-IAD)
We are in a "service industry". This is not service and the loss of revenue is part of the reason that we are still losing money.
Additionally, I think our FAA on-time performance, etc is reported for the airline as a whole, not as US mainline and US Express. The break down that we see is an in house system.

I was aware bag delivery costs were out of control - but with loosing that type of $$$...you would think it would make the baggage issue a top priority for Doug and his crew..those numbers are out of sight.

Just think back and remember how EVERYONE beat up the pilots about these little jets? Gangwald was saying they were going to save the company and you all ate it hook line and sinker. The USAIR employee group is so easily manipulated. Wolf is sitting in the south of France, smoking a Cuban and sipping on a Martini, reflecting at how easy that was, "puff, sip". Now we are reaping the whirlwind. The only purpose of these little pieces of junk, was to bludgeon labor. Now that labor has been defeated, these little jets will go the way of the DoDo bird. Suckers! "Don't be fooled again!"

Hey Piney Bob you ugly MF as often as you fly you should know that weight restriction is out of the control of the agents working the flight,

And what is your comment of LaTeesha, Shaquanda & Jamal ..is that suppose to be racial attack against the express agents you friggin goon.

For your information the powers at be has force express to handle more flights that they can out of a very small space.

And lost baggage is an unfortunate fact of life but I will dare say the reason for bags missing flight in exception to weight restriction in Phl is due to mainline not connecting bags to the express side or available to collect bags at the express side.

:censored:

And lost baggage is an unfortunate fact of life but I will dare say the reason for bags missing flight in exception to weight restriction in Phl is due to mainline not connecting bags to the express side or available to collect bags at the express side.

[/quote]

I agree....and no, I am no express, nor have I ever been...but I have seen this first hand OVER AND OVER again.

PAWOBS appear to be a problem in general, but particularly in PHL. While I understand they are supposedly working on the situation, let's hope it gets addressed in some degree before the Christmas holiday at the end of this month.

As I said in another thread, I saw about 2 carts of bags tagged for ORD left off my flight a couple of weeks ago. The odds are against a weight issue, as the flight was less than half of the range of the aircraft, and it is unlikely so many bags were for the next flight, which left out of a totally different gate.

Not to rehash, but can anyone find the PAWOB stats for 637 on the 26th of Nov (PHL-ORD)???? It would be interesting to see, and to find out what happened to this flight.

All too often, I get a laugh from agents in outstations when I check in, they ask if I have any bags to check, and my reply is, "no, I am going through PHL and know better".

On the RJ subject, they are a welcome replacement for props on some routes, but I don't think they should be considered for 400+ mile trips--the cost structure just doesn't support it.

My best to you all.....

due to mainline not connecting bags to the express side or available to collect bags at the express side.

Now it's no secret that PHL doesn't have enough tugs for the transfer runners (check out the agents at B-5 waiting outside for the next avail. tug)....since mainline has now taken over the express transfer running as well we have gotten 4 (yes, 4)more tugs!
It's not rocket science!

Just think back and remember how EVERYONE beat up the pilots about these little jets? Gangwald was saying they were going to save the company and you all ate it hook line and sinker.

The first problem with the little jets is that they have been misused. The company has been trying for the past five years to drive up yields by replacing mainline with RJ's. From the customer perspective, the RJ generally beats most props, but it's no substitute for mainline.

The longer-term problem is that all these little jets are, in the end, uncompetitive with the LCC's. AirTran, jetBlue, and Southwest will all end up eating your lunch by undercutting your high-cost RJ's.

Cost of delivering late bags: 5days
Assumption Cost
$5.00/bag $24,980
$10.00/bag $49,990
$15.00/bag $74,940
$20.00/bag $99,920

Assume that in 5 days we spent $75,000 and in a month we
spend $450,000x12=5.4 million/year
Your numbers are too low. I don't believe there is a station in the system that can have a bag delivered for $20.00. I was once told by a member of management that the average cost systme wide was well over $50.00 a bag.

Over-reliance on nothing but RJs is going to hurt US Airways in the long-term.

They're putting freakin' 86-seat sardine can CRJ-900 penciljets on CLT-IAH and ZW CRJ-200s are flying PHL-MSP routes... while UAX is flying CR7s and EMB-170s with First Class cabins and E+. It's no wonder F is F'ed - they're parking 70-seat jets at gate areas designed for CRJs and Dash-8s.

RJization is no way to run an airline. Just ask DH, or DL for that matter.

Hey Piney Bob you ugly MF as often as you fly you should know that weight restriction is out of the control of the agents working the flight,

And what is your comment of LaTeesha, Shaquanda & Jamal ..is that suppose to be racial attack against the express agents you friggin goon.

For your information the powers at be has force express to handle more flights that they can out of a very small space.

I will never understand why people have to haul so much crap for a weekend trip...charge these nuckleheads for all this xtra crap they will never pull out of ther bag on there trip and you will see the bag issue go away...if it's that important to take with you and it will not fit in the cabin fed-x it...start a 30.00 fee for a checked bag and you will see how people can go 3 days with a small carry on tote...leave the crap at home...

Back