PAX Claim they were held hostage

Could they have been unloaded at the hardstand? Sure. But what means were there for getting those folks over to the terminal? Walking a couple hundred yards across taxiways isn't exactly smart.

They should have unloaded the plane at the hardstand and walked them up to the terminal. We're talking about spending nine hours on an MD-80 not a DC-10 or 767; a plane that is designed for such durations. There couldn't be any food service, they probably only had the stuff for maybe two beverage services, and we all know how nasty the lavs get on transatlantic service on the widebodies; just imagine how bad it would be on a plane that's designed for nothing longer than a four hour run! As for the safety, its not like they are walking across the ramp at O'Hare or LAX. This is Austin we are talking about. It's a pretty quiet airport. Someone at American should have lost their job because of this.

What the hell does this have to do with consumer law?

Uh, aren't you the one who stated this in response to NY's airline bill of rights being unenforceable?

WingNaPrayer said:
Really. Tell that to United Airlines and the City of San Francisco.

Every state has the right to legislate how people are treated within it's borders. Even if they are sitting on an aircraft belonging to American "we're the worlds largest in our own minds" Airlines!

Since you're so smart, you should know what states are entitled to legislate...

SFO had the right to expect UAL to comply with city law. Likewise for CA laws specific to FMLA, lost time, OT, etc. That's their jurisdiction.

What happens on an aircraft isn't any state's jurisdiction. That's covered by both the Commerce Clause in the Tenth Amendment and in the Airline Deregulation Act. Laws regarding price, route or service of an air carrier is clearly the Fed's jurisdiction, even if it is wholy within a state's borders.

That's why the NYS law will fail, and probably where this court case will fail. The airline didn't do anything illegal. Sure, they screwed up, but they didn't violate any laws.

I know facts don't really interest WNP, since they tend to deflate his hysterics, but for those interested in reading a more or less unbiased account of all this, go read the DOT's report:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/...elaysreport.pdf

It more or less confirms that food, water, and lav servicing was provided, and that AUS had 11 diversions on the ground at once.

Ok E lets get serious here !

I AGREE with you, on the first "4" hours, and I AGREE with you, about what it can be like at a "diversion Airport"

I know you remember I was "laboring" in BDL, located 1/2 way between BOS + JFK/LGA/EWR !!!!

If your completely honest with yourself, you'd agree that...AA "pushed the envelope", (like it has a zillion times),...BUT in this particular case.....they .."Pushed it TOO FAR" !!

In addition,.................YOU know DAM* well, a situation like AUS, would NEVER have happened in BOS, because there DEFINITELY would have been "Civil Insurrection" , by those AArrogant yankees :angry: :angry:

??????????????????????????