PBGC

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
PBGC has mailed out retirement info for those who will draw a pension in the future.

What is your experience with this info? Do you find it accurate? Has anyone appealed (you have 45 days)?

Please share any experience.

Thank you!

People I know are receiving the amount advertised .... which isn't much.

Are you going to try and use the PBGC healthcare? It's administered by the IRS and I think if you read the fine print, it's not guaranteed. Heaven help if you retire with it , then they decide they can't afford it and you have to go buy it on the open market with any Pre-existing conditions.

I think appealing it would be a waste of time ..............

Don't forget the government is broke .... I wonder what happens down the road .....

On top of your PBGC concerns, Obama is already talking about reducing SS payments to help balance his budget. They hand out trillions to save bankers and auto unions, it would have only taken 600 billion to fix SS for the next 75 years. I don't think they want to honor SS promises in the future.

I don't know how JR, career, US Air C/S and F/S workers plan to retire ..... Our pay check is to small to save and the 401k contributions the company makes will not come close to funding it to meet retirement needs. I think a lot of us have our heads in the sand.

PBGC has mailed out retirement info for those who will draw a pension in the future.

What is your experience with this info? Do you find it accurate? Has anyone appealed (you have 45 days)?

Please share any experience.

Thank you!

I never received the information from the PBGC that everyone is speaking about. Is there a specific number one can call to receive the information?

Gracias,

Still...

You can go online at http://pbgc.gov/

Make sure you are seated when you find out what working here has done to you ...... and they got lots of help from the BK judge and the government :up: Thank goodness several years ago I saw it coming and focused on MY business. My exit is secure! ;)

Don't get caught with your head in the sand Boy Wonder .... :lol: And don't worry about someone else's kids!

When I retired in 2001 I got $142.50 a month. Then the merge and I was working for HP. Doug said they could not do all of 3 things--which they promptly did. 1. Stopped my retirement checks. 2. They did not give me back my seniority. 3. They did not give me back my pay grade.
Such a slap in the face--and the whole office heard him say they woudln't do all 3.
Then I turned 62 and low and behold--they gave me back my retirement checks after I quit--my retirement check was cut to $44.11 a month and now I only get 1 check a year.
Watch out!!!

Heard the CWA is thinking about giving up 2 dollars an hour at the top of the pay scale to avoid more layoffs ...... just when you think you're at the bottom .... here they come again.

at this moment, I will get 159.00 per month..with 25 yr of svc..going on 26--go figure

cheap cheap cheap!!! :down:

Heard the CWA is thinking about giving up 2 dollars an hour at the top of the pay scale to avoid more layoffs ...... just when you think you're at the bottom .... here they come again.
The return of mainline express pay?

2 dollar an hour cut ...... with hyper-inflation right around the corner
..... Hope we'll be able to make our trailer payments! :groovy:

I was reading this again... and thinking about how much things have changed in this industry. Not just here, but throughout the industry.

20 years ago our ticket counters, catering trucks, cleaning trucks and airfreight facilities were maned by highly motivated, loyal, and very proud employees (of the company, not some contract group). They were well paid, valued members of a team, their pay checks reflected it.

They lived a middle class lifestyle and their career choice was respected by their customers, neighbors and friends. A "20 something year old" new hire was "excited" about his "future" and looked forward to being able to "support a family" someday. And then retiring and using his travel privileges to do some traveling .

EVERYONE took a service failure personal and bust their butts to smooth it over. Crews were eager to board and dept on time. They looked forward to meeting new customers on each leg. Customers enjoyed being waited on by someone excited about their job and future.

Today employees wonder how they will survive until next payday and fear their job will be outsourced before it gets here. Customers and employees seem like only numbers ... a necessary evil. Middle class is only a dream and retirement comes when you qualify for disability.

Don't get me wrong, IM not US Airways bashing ..... There is a race to the bottom going on in this INDUSTRY. It's sad when a company employees 15 or 20 thousand customer service front line employees and only a dozen enjoy middle class? I guess I was lucky .... a lot of my employment fail under the good ole days. ;) This use to be a job you wanted to pass down to a younger member of the family, NO More?