PHX TV news helicopters collide

Aug 20, 2002
4 dead in Phoenix chopper collision

By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

PHOENIX - Two news helicopters covering a police chase on live television collided and crashed to the ground Friday, killing all four people on board in a plunge that viewers saw as a jumble of spinning, broken images.
ADVERTISEMENT

Both helicopters went down in a park in central Phoenix and caught fire. No one on the ground was hurt......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070728/ap_on_...copters_collide

PHOENIX - Two news helicopters covering a police chase on live television collided and crashed to the ground Friday, killing all four people on board in a plunge that viewers saw as a jumble of spinning, broken images.
ADVERTISEMENT

Both helicopters went down in a park in central Phoenix and caught fire. No one on the ground was hurt......

Helicopters chasing a story at 120 K at 100-150 ft NOE.
What was their 'flight plan'? :p

B) UT

Helicopters chasing a story at 120 K at 100-150 ft NOE.
What was their 'flight plan'? :p

B) UT
I am still wondering why car chases are considered newsworthy enough to interrupt programming so they can get the helicopter shots. I guess so that we can witness a potential fatal accident "live". Either this event will be the end of TV helicopter flights to show "breaking news", or the morbid fascination for what passes for news means there will now be even MORE helicopters to televise the potential midair collisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

This is being discussed or covered in the helicopter forum.

I don't believe in helicopters chasing police chases. Maybe this will put and end to the practice.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims of this tragedy.

This is being discussed or covered in the helicopter forum.

I don't believe in helicopters chasing police chases. Maybe this will put and end to the practice.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims of this tragedy.

Posted but hardly a 'discussion'.
Not too many 'rotor heads' on this BB for a discussion.
My thoughts are with their friends and families as well, but that is the nature of flying helicopters’.
There is not 'luxury' of having a flight plan and you are not watched (tracked/warned) on any radar.
Most B206 (OH58) does not have the flight amenities’ and warning features (such as TCAS) afforded to the heavies.
They are flying mostly IFR (I Follow Road) and the pilots that do not recognize this have a high propensity to 'die' and take someone else out with their distraction.

JMHO,
B) UT

Back