Piedmont & Alg May Live On?

WSurf

Senior
Dec 12, 2002
The following item is recorded on both the Piedmont and Allegheny hotlines.

Today, the MEC chairmen and vice-chairmen of Piedmont, Allegheny and USAirways and Captain Duane Woerth, President of the Air Line Pilots Association met in Washington DC with Dr. David Bronner, CEO of Retirement Systems of Alabama and Chairman of USAirways’ Board of directors, and prominent board members Mr. Bruce Lakefield and Ms. Maggie Jacobson. Captain Pollock, USAirways MEC Chairman also acted in his capacity as a member of the Board of Directors.

Weeks in the making, this initial meeting was productive, and we are encouraged by the refreshing candidness of the dialogue. Because of the sensitive nature of the issues, and for competitive reasons details will remain confidential at this time.

The MECs of Piedmont and Allegheny wish to express our sincere thanks to everyone who facilitated this process, and the joint support of

That is good to hear. Both of these W/O's have worked very hard over the years to feed our system, and they deserve better. It burns me to see us giving all of the RJ flying to the fly-by-night operators instead of them. ;)

Lets say US Airways does not survive through next summer. Could/would Bonner resurrect Piedmont and/or Allegheny from small turboprop regional(s) into a point-to-point low fare operator of ex-US Airways Airbus equipment?

FM3436-
My thoughts exactly (see "more strange MidAtlantic happenings" post). I can see them pulling the trick of shutting down US Airways only to bring back the larger aircraft to the already existing, unaffected short haul network- they could get as many RJs of any shape and size and as few larger aircraft as they desire, plus a junior work force working under commuter airline agreements. They could probably pull it off with a lot less disruption than we think (the mainline aint much anymore). If this sounds far fetched, its been done before- SwissAir and Sabena. If the emlpoyee group is to survive they need to think like management- like a game of chess, you need to be one step ahead of your opponent, figuring out thier plan. Believe me there is one.

FM2436 & Light Years:

The scenario you discussed will not occur, however, there could be some news regarding Piedmont and Allegheny RJs and combining the three "wholly owned" airlines -- as turboprops are phased out and 50-seat CRJs are delivered.

In addition, expect some different news on the 25 remaining 70-seat CRJ-700s.

Respectfully,

Chip

Why was'nt Bruce Ashby at the meeting?.... since he is the President of the Express Division and MDA, you'd think he would be there. I wonder if he asked Alabama Dave and the U cast to smooth out PDT's and ALG's hurt feelings...AKA string them along a little longer cause we need them...for now??

If You Fail To Plan...You Can Plan On Failing.
AKA..Find Alternate Employment. :eek:

yea, its one of two things!! They are gonna string us along some more while they get jets to replace us. Or since Bonner (which i heard he was not happy starting a new airline) was there they are gonna sand bag MDA and use PDT & ALG to take over the MDA operations!! Saving tons of time and money.???? They jet delivery's start soon, and i think PDT and ALG are gonna help easy the delivery process!! I hope its by getting some RJ's not! But how the hell knows!!!!

I've heard that a few times, that Alabama Dave is balking at the idea of starting a new airline... does anyone have a source for that? Seems a little late in the game for a change of plans.
I know for flight attendants there is language in the concessionary agreement about MAA, what happens if they decide to cancel it? Are they breaching our contract? Do we have the rights for positions on those aircraft if they are placed at another carrier?

Bagging MDA in favor of already established WO's would require logic......a quality that has been lacking around here lately. A possible scenario is Alabama Dave having the power necessary to overide the egos and political BS involved with this issue.

Starting pay rates for F/A's at MDA are at 12.00/hr. That's lower than any WO carriers'. Unless someone can correct me..........I think the company can't wait til MDA is up and running. Replacing or I'm sorry...."right sizing" mainline aircraft and it's employees. :huh:

One thing that is becoming more proven daily is that the days of PDT and ALG operating seperate is ending...U will need some props, by my sources 15 to 20 to svc. the markets that demand only a 37/50 seat aircraft, and the runway length issues. PDT is losing ground in all depts, and has been for a 18 month period. ALG is also, but ALG is picking up more of PDT's day to day operating functions, so see it as you wish. As far as placing jet equipment on PDT"s or ALG's property vs. the start-up costs of the MDA operation ...a good question, PDTs upper management.. I can t see them doing well with a jet operation, been riding the same bike for too long with " training wheels", and if removed they are out of their "element," and can t sit around on the bridge meetings and tell everyone what to change, and other how to ect... too micro-managed, they would go nuts, be clueless..well they are now anyway. :lol:

fail to plan, plan on failing.... :blink:

Hmm, thats stupid. PDT has a AQP program already set up for the CRJ, they could have those planes flying in 90 days. But now they (Group) are pouring tons of money into PSA's Jet Training & crazy cash into MDA start up. PSA is a month behind in there training, from what I hear.
I know I don't have the answers but to say that PDT couldn't handle getting jets is a JOKE.. Is it really that much difference between CRJ's and Dash's. Our Training, MX, have always been top notch, with us and ALG being 2 of the more reliable parts of Group that HELLO, makes money!! Makes sense to put RJ's there. But then again making sense is one thing US Airways lacks.
Simple put all the RJ's at the 3 wholly owns.. Hire the furloughed pilots, start getting rid of the contract carriers. Make Group one list! And build from there!!