Piedmont & Alg May Live On?

PDT could have what flying in 90 days?? You are joking :lol: ... they could'nt get the parts rooms stocked in 90 days, not to mention proving runs, crew training, mx training, Cat 2 or better training, ect..ect...if they could have, then MDA would be up and running in 90 days with RJ"s. Bottom line is , through circumstance beyond their control and being in the "Dash" rut for too long.. the chances are slim for U to give them RJ"s.. sad but true. When you have other operators,(contract) .. that are all ready up to speed , PDT or ALG do not look very appealing to recieve RJ'S. The placing costs and time to get PSA up and running well with the equipment will be a reason not to place them at PDT and ALG. Time will tell. :blink:

fail to plan...plan on failing.

Piedmont and Allegheny not able to ramp up operations within 90 days? Yeah, your probably right.

Operational costs being too high to place them at PDT and ALG? Nahhh.

Obviously cost is not a problem. Airways seems to think it is more cost effective to start a brand new airline, hire new employees, new management staff, etc.

Either way it doesn't matter. Airways has sunk too much of RSA's and GECAS money into this Titanic. Question now is, can they avoid the iceberg.

WSurf-
I agree completely.
Why not have EACH of the wholly-owneds recieve two EMBs a month, bringing the total to six a month (if possible for Embraer). Let the furlougheds choose which carrier to go to (eg Allegeheny in PHL, PDT in CLT, PSA in PIT?) This would make the start up of the EMB service quicker and smoother and get alot of us back to work quicker. It also eliminates the need for yet another set of management, facilities, and certificates needed for a whole new airline, which is time consuming and costly for the company. It also spreads the operation out more instead of asking everyone to move to PIT where the future is so uncertain, it would be a smoother transition for our crews. After a certain amount of time the three could be merged together and there would just be two divisions of US Airways, when theres room, we go back to the "mainline" division. It really sickens me that all of these contract carriers are growing and hiring while mainline people who are willing to work are sitting around waiting for this.
Why all the mystery?

WSurf said:
Hmm, thats stupid. PDT has a AQP program already set up for the CRJ, they could have those planes flying in 90 days. But now they (Group) are pouring tons of money into PSA's Jet Training & crazy cash into MDA start up. PSA is a month behind in there training, from what I hear.
I know I don't have the answers but to say that PDT couldn't handle getting jets is a JOKE.. Is it really that much difference between CRJ's and Dash's. Our Training, MX, have always been top notch, with us and ALG being 2 of the more reliable parts of Group that HELLO, makes money!! Makes sense to put RJ's there. But then again making sense is one thing US Airways lacks.
Simple put all the RJ's at the 3 wholly owns.. Hire the furloughed pilots, start getting rid of the contract carriers. Make Group one list! And build from there!!
Wsurf,

Just to correct a couple of your points.

"But now they (Group) are pouring tons of money into PSA's Jet Training"

No more than what would normally be required. The new training facility in DAY was mostly supplied by the city. The first few CRJ classes are being handled in Canada by bombardier while the PSA instructors are re-writing the manuals.

"PSA is a month behind in there training, from what I hear."

The training is not a month behind. Training is running on time. Aircraft deliveries are behind by approximately 1 to 2 weeks. The original training schedual was then adjusted for aircraft deliveries.

"with us and ALG being 2 of the more reliable parts of Group that HELLO, makes money!!"

Statisticaly, all three WO's have been very close for the past two years, some months bad, some months good. I hope that this sentence of yours is not a jab at your peers at PSA, most of whom are trying a lot things behind the scenes to help our brothers and sisters at PDT and ALG.

I think you'l find the only reason PSA got jets first (and I mean first as in NOT THE LAST, PDT and ALG will be getting jets. It doesn't make sense for you guys not to) is due to the fact that we've changed fleet types many times over. I think they just found it easier to put the first orders here, at a WO thats gone through this before. Let us work the bugs out, then equip PDT and ALG. I could be wrong but thats the way I see it.

And as for OneList, I would love it but I don't see why Dave would do it. Whatever it cost him to keep us apart is alot cheeper than turning 300+ pilots at each WO into 900+ Unified pilots who have been slaped in the face for way too long.

Take Care

So..whats the latest on the meetings, been two weeks, any news from the dark side of the moon, (ref. 9-16 thread) ?? :unsure:

Still no word. Did hear that Group, ALG, and PDT managment were scrambling to get numbers together for the Board of Directors. Not sure what numbers they were though.

Everyone is keeping this close to the vest.

It was probably just another meeting to set up the time for another meeting that will be held for another meeting sometime in the near future. :lol:

Ashby is due to make the rounds of the wholly owned operations in the next week for his quarterly meetings, at least he has meetings and shows. Why would Bronner and the board let the group start another airline when the group is not financially stable? We have four airlines already, lots of experience and infrastructure in place. What happens when and if Midway goes chapter 7? Any comments? :huh:

Ill put may 2cents in here....About a week ago I went to an Open Interview for PSA...(Which surprisingly I didn't get past the 1st part) and Sid (PSA Recruiter) was speaking of the "Wholly Owns" and actually mentioned Mid Atlantic...HMMMM GO FIGURE!! SO if they are going to "Pull the Plug" on MDA then why would a recruiter even mention them...Makes you wonder !! Someone that did make it to the 2nd Phase also did not make..He recieved a Rejection Letter a few days later...SOOOOO if PSA is so far behind then why are they not HIRING ANYONE !!

All the "WHAT IFS" absolutely crack me up.... You all are gonna give yourselfs Ulcers worrying about something we have NO CONTROL OVER anyway !!! :shock:

All the "WHAT IFS" absolutely crack me up.... You all are gonna give yourselfs Ulcers worrying about something we have NO CONTROL OVER anyway !!!

Can I have an AMEN??!!!! :up:

Thats the truth"no control on the outcome", I hope everyone has developed a back up plan... (alternate employment), You have control of that. :up:

fail to plan, plan on failing.

I know that ALG has some pilots out on furlough as of 10/1, but does PDT have anym furloughed pilots at this time or in the near future?

No, we don't have anyone out on furlough anymore. We just got a letter from the Company president saying that he does "...not anticipate any Pilot or Flight Attendant furloughs prior to Jan 2004, if at all."

The only highlight for Piedmont it seems is a continued expansion of the Customer Service Dept.

Wooo hooooo!!!!

Hey, I've never had a problem with PDT station. Compared to our mess in PIT and ALG's mess in PHL, CLT would be the crown jewel except for lack of taxiway space on the ramp.

Ref: To John( In Crystal City) Leonard's letter...So how many long time dedicated PDT MX employess in ORF get screwed this time? And longer times of 5 days on the aircraft not seeing maintenance? Sounds to me they are making a BIG MISTAKE! Lets face it, a dash is not a 767 or 737.. it's more like a chopper with wings that needs alot of regular attention, and not to mention the total time on some of the equipment, it's getting up there. And with longer times between MX, the closing of yet another MX base, the less mechanics, and the increased work load and pressure on the MX dept. and most certainly flight also. I feel that all crews and MX need to be even more watchful on walk arounds pre/post flights ect..(even at a MX base) these MX guys and gals will really be pushed to make the gate in the AM. They do a great job, but with working nights and worrying if you are going to have a job next month, like all of us, this is a distraction in the job(s). Saftey is paramount. Take time to look twice, ask if not sure ect.. call for MX no matter if on a MX base/ field or not.

Be Safe. ;)

So...any news from the dark side of the moon on the last meetings? Ref. 9-16 thread?? Noticed on my check envelope that PDT's address has changed to ALG's PA address...interesting. :unsure: