Piedmont Dc-3

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
What ever happened to the old Piedmont DC-3? Last I had hear was that there was one in north carolina? Also what was the tail number and name to it?

The restored Piedmont DC-3 was purchased by the Carolina's Historical Aircraft Commisions (CHAC) from USAir at a price of $250,000.oo...via individual donations....of which I am a contributor and member of the museum.

The tail number is N44V....the aircraft flies the airshow circuit from time to time...and when it's not dong so , it's hangared in the museums hangar at CLT for display purposes.

The Acft was restored by Piedmont Employee's in INT in 1986.

Here's some added info on the museum for contact purposes.

Carolina's Aviation Museum
4108 Airport Drive
Charlotte, N.C. 28208

Tele # 704-359-8442

I hope this helps in your quest for info.

I flew on this plane from TPA to INT once and it was a great experience. The plane was in TPA for Airfest at MacDill AFB and was heading back to INT when a friend at work found out we could hitch a ride. We met at MacDill, buckled up (for a minute or two) and then headed out. First stop was Ocala. Got to watch the landing from the cockpit. Got lots of lookers too when we taxied up to refuel. Then headed on to INT. It was truly a memorable experience and a great plane to fly in.
Thanks to those who took the time and effort to restore it and to keep it flying!

tadjr.

I'm also a member and annual contributor to the museum ...and that DC-3 is definately the center piece of a growing work.

Two years ago I purchased tickets for my Mother and Father to take a sight seeing flight around the CLT area. This was part of thier 48th anniversary gift....the signifigence was this....Had it not been for Piedmont flying the DC-3 from TRI to SOP...my folks would have never met to begin with.

I hope many U and Ex-PI folks continue to contribute to a wonderfull piece of history...the museum as a whole , needs everyones assistance for expansion and growth. Many exhibits do not come free....nor does the cost of operating the DC-3 or the 2 OV-1 Mohawks that retain flying order.

i was in CLT the whole week from feb 2-6 for OPS Training and I noticed that there were something like 3 PI DC-3s and may be a fourth but it could also be a military C-47 version. Does anyone know anything about that area of the hangars if the pi dc3s are there for display or what?

robbedagain said:
i was in CLT the whole week from feb 2-6 for OPS Training and I noticed that there were something like 3 PI DC-3s and may be a fourth but it could also be a military C-47 version. Does anyone know anything about that area of the hangars if the pi dc3s are there for display or what?
Robbed,

What you saw was what's left of Saber Cargo Airlines. Two that have had Sabers logo blanked out of late...theydo look somewhat like the old PI Livery...but are not part of that history.

All Acft , including the ones painted in the USAAF D-Day Invaision scheme...are in fact C-47's with the exception of one. One Acft is a Super DC-3 with added wheel well fairings like that of the DST (Douglas Sleeper Transport) that evolved to the Super DC-3 series.

Both Acft in the D-day scheme served in WWII....but only one was actually with the USAAF in Europe ....the other served with the Dutch Air Force during that era.

The former Dutch Acft known as "Hawkah" is a former Oshkosh show winner...and was purchased by Saber Cargo owner Mike Dockery at well above market value , due to it's condition and history.

Saber has gone into Chapter 7...and the assets have been purchased by a local Acft broker....the Acft and the company is currently idle at present....and the plans for the operation are sketchy...or delayed at best.

I posted a story about this under the cargo airlines topic area