Pilots board approves proposal 9-7...now what?

I wish I could fast forward into the future should there be a merger.
When Parker & Co. renege on the shallow promises or when said promises expire, I can't wait to see and hear all the pro merger ilks cry and whine about how they were lied to......
Yea, Parker all of a sudden is going to IN SOURCE ALL MAINTENANCE ON OVER A THOUSAND COMBINED AIRCRAFT!!!!!!!
Yea, Parker is going to make AA CREWS THE HIGHEST PAID WITH THE LEAST HOURS FLOWN AND DON'T FORGET, CONTINUE THE MILLION DOLLAR PAYOUTS.....
YEA...RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is blatantly a toothless union tactic that will be regretted should it come to be!

Boy Oh Boy!!!....What a marriage it will be with two LOSER airlines uniting in corporate wedlock!

What ridiculous union leadership we are subject to.

Reactions: 5 people
Actually they haven't signed contracts, merely bullet points. Besides, US can't legally have an enforcable contract with other airline's employees - no merger and any potential contracts between US and APA/APFA/TWU go away.

Jim
Jim . The company reach signed agreements with all 3 unions . There are legal formalities with these agreements. I am sure USAirways made sure that the unions were not just using USAIRWAYS to get a better deal from AA . There is no way USAirways would have entered into such agreements without protections . Wouldn't you agree ?

I wish I could fast forward into the future should there be a merger.
When Parker & Co. renege on the shallow promises or when said promises expire, I can't wait to see and hear all the pro merger ilks cry and whine about how they were lied to......
Yea, Parker all of a sudden is going to IN SOURCE ALL MAINTENANCE ON OVER A THOUSAND COMBINED AIRCRAFT!!!!!!!
Yea, Parker is going to make AA CREWS THE HIGHEST PAID WITH THE LEAST HOURS FLOWN AND DON'T FORGET, CONTINUE THE MILLION DOLLAR PAYOUTS.....
YEA...RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is blatantly a toothless union tactic that will be regretted should it come to be!

Boy Oh Boy!!!....What a marriage it will be with two LOSER airlines uniting in corporate wedlock!

What ridiculous union leadership we are subject to.

What about this one? USAIRWAYs terminated its pensions but they are going to keep ours frozen?

I'm not a fan of the USAIWAYS deal, I'm certainly not willing to give Parker what I'm not willing to give Horton.

Reactions: 2 people
Jim . The company reach signed agreements with all 3 unions . There are legal formalities with these agreements. I am sure USAirways made sure that the unions were not just using USAIRWAYS to get a better deal from AA . There is no way USAirways would have entered into such agreements without protections . Wouldn't you agree ?
Actually Jim the agreements that the AA unions signed with US are binding .

Term sheets are not legal formalities. They are just term sheets--like an offer to buy a house at a price/terms other than the asking price and terms. Until you have a signed and ratified (or imposed) contract, ya got nuthin'. The term sheet that DP has agreed to with the APFA still has to be converted into a TA for the members to vote on. Unlike TWU, the APFA BOD can not accept a contract on the union members behalf. They can make a recommendation to the membership for voting a TA up or down, period.
When I read the term sheet, personally, I don't see how he is going to pay for all the goodies he has offered us--and make enough to run the airline. I just don't believe the "synergies" will be than instantaneous.

That being said, I also don't see how sticking with Horton could be any less worse than going with DP. They are both airline executives, and since they are not Southwest Airlines executives, I think anything either of them says should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Term sheets are not legal formalities. They are just term sheets--like an offer to buy a house at a price/terms other than the asking price and terms. Until you have a signed and ratified (or imposed) contract, ya got nuthin'. The term sheet that DP has agreed to with the APFA still has to be converted into a TA for the members to vote on. Unlike TWU, the APFA BOD can not accept a contract on the union members behalf. They can make a recommendation to the membership for voting a TA up or down, period.

If you read the term sheet, personally, I don't see how he is going to pay for all the goodies he has offered us--and make enough to run the airline. I just don't believe the "synergies" will be than instantaneous.

That being said, I also don't see how sticking with Horton could be any less worse than going with DP. They are both airline executives, and since they are not Southwest Airlines executives, I think anything either of them says should be taken with a large grain of salt.
There still has to be some legal formalities . USAirways is not going to sign a binding agreement with AA unions without protecting its self first .It was never stated that USAirways signed term sheets . They signed agreements with the unions and in the agreements it included the term sheets . I am sure that there is much more to these agreements that we don't know about .

If you read the term sheet, personally, I don't see how he is going to pay for all the goodies he has offered us--and make enough to run the airline. I just don't believe the "synergies" will be than instantaneous.

Personally, my own little pet conspiracy theory is that Douggie will go into Willie Walsh's office, put his feet up on his desk and tell him that unless BA and IAG pony up an expensive 25% in the new airline, he will take AA into LCC and the Star Alliance. Willie will of course respond that the EU and USA regulators won't let it happen, Douggie will respond "you're right, but it take several years, and by the time that is finished, OneWorld will be also, oh and by the way, do you think LanTam will come into OW if you don't pay up?"

just having fun looking for grassy knoll gunman on the internet ;)

There still has to be some legal formalities . USAirways is not going to sign a binding agreement with AA unions without protecting its self first .

BS - the fact that the agreements are off if there's no merger is all the protection that US needs. Do you think that Parker would really sign agreements with AA's unions mandating that US pay AA employees, guarantee that their pension would be good, etc if no merger occurs? If so you're as crazy as he would be to do it...

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO...The equity stake is a very large carrot. If there is to be a combination of AA and US the upward bump in the share price should give everyone a nice payout in order to soothe the merger issues. That being said I am sure all the naysayers will pile on board to detract any positives of the combination. But you have to ask why was a merger good for DAL and UAL but not for AA?

IMHO...The equity stake is a very large carrot. If there is to be a combination of AA and US the upward bump in the share price should give everyone a nice payout in order to soothe the merger issues. That being said I am sure all the naysayers will pile on board to detract any positives of the combination. But you have to ask why was a merger good for DAL and UAL but not for AA?

I think the question most of us have is "Is the merger good for the employees?"

But you have to ask why was a merger good for DAL and UAL but not for AA?

Notice anything about those two mergers? Like US wasn't involved in either of them? Those two mergers weren't the result of one of the partners attempting a hostile bid while the other was in bankruptcy, Maybe that's why they were considered good - and why AA wants to get out of bankruptcy before considering any mergers. Food for thought.

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
At least Parker is running a profitable airline. I dont see that happening with Horton..I see AA back in bankruptcy with Horton as CEO

That's an easy one. Mergers may have been good for DAL and UAL because neither of them merged with LCC. NW had its very valuable Asian franchise and CO had its huge lock on Houston and Newark (which some people refer to as NYC despite its location in New Jersey). On top of that, NW had a strong domestic network in MSP and DTW plus some good European traffic. CO had a pretty decent presence in Asia as well as its European and domestic networks. LCC brings PHL, CLT and PHX along with some European fights. AA isn't struggling because it lacks hubs in PHL, CLT and PHX, despite what the LCC-cheerleaders say.

Reactions: 4 people
At least Parker is running a profitable airline. I dont see that happening with Horton..I see AA back in bankruptcy with Horton as CEO
You can do better than that, can't you? Parker has pilots and FAs working for seven years now under bankruptcy-era contracts. If AA had the low labor costs of US since 2005, then AA would have been the world's most profitable airline since 2005. It's no big accomplishment to report some profits if you pay your pilots less than jetBlue. Since AA filed for Ch 11, AA's unit revenue has improved far more than unit revenue at US. If Parker were so omnipotent, why has US unit revenue lagged since January while AA's unit revenue improvements are far ahead of US and UA?

Latest posts