Pilots board approves proposal 9-7...now what?

That's an easy one. Mergers may have been good for DAL and UAL because neither of them merged with LCC. NW had its very valuable Asian franchise and CO had its huge lock on Houston and Newark (which some people refer to as NYC despite its location in New Jersey). On top of that, NW had a strong domestic network in MSP and DTW plus some good European traffic. CO had a pretty decent presence in Asia as well as its European and domestic networks. LCC brings PHL, CLT and PHX along with some European fights. AA isn't struggling because it lacks hubs in PHL, CLT and PHX, despite what the LCC-cheerleaders say.
oh because you're not an AA cheerleader right ??

This time around US has signed contracts with APA,APFA,and the TWU. US did not have the same with UA . The UA thing was management to management . Unions had nothing to do with it . Come on Jim . You should know better than that .
Jim . The company reach signed agreements with all 3 unions . There are legal formalities with these agreements. I am sure USAirways made sure that the unions were not just using USAIRWAYS to get a better deal from AA . There is no way USAirways would have entered into such agreements without protections . Wouldn't you agree ?
Actually Jim the agreements that the AA unions signed with US are binding .
There still has to be some legal formalities . USAirways is not going to sign a binding agreement with AA unions without protecting its self first .It was never stated that USAirways signed term sheets . They signed agreements with the unions and in the agreements it included the term sheets . I am sure that there is much more to these agreements that we don't know about .
Doesn't matter how many times you say it, you're still mistaken. As BoeingBoy has pointed out, airline executives cannot reach legally binding agreements with employees of another airline. US and the APA, APFA and TWU signed some letters of intent that aren't legally binding on US or the unions. They merely memorialize the understanding of the parties and set forth a framework for negotiating legally binding agreements if/when LCC is in a position to negotiate with AA's employees.

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't matter how many times you say it, you're still mistaken. As BoeingBoy has pointed out, airline executives cannot reach legally binding agreements with employees of another airline. US and the APA, APFA and TWU signed some letters of intent that aren't legally binding on US or the unions. They merely memorialize the understanding of the parties and set forth a framework for negotiating legally binding agreements if/when LCC is in a position to negotiate with AA's employees. Who sais they cannot ? You ?? Well let me tell you that LCC airline executives did reach binding agreements with the AA labor unions . I don't give a rats ass what Boeing boy or you say . You both are seriously mistaken . Do some research .

Etops1,

You are wrong, US and AA's unions have MOUs, nothing more, nothing less.

The agreements are not binding, go back and read them.

Reactions: 2 people
Who sais they cannot ? You ?? Well let me tell you that LCC airline executives did reach binding agreements with the AA labor unions . I don't give a rats ass what Boeing boy or you say . You both are seriously mistaken . Do some research .
Must be a real treat working alongside you.

700UW and I rarely agree on anything, but we agree on this one. You're simply mistaken. Sorry 'bout that.

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO...The equity stake is a very large carrot. If there is to be a combination of AA and US the upward bump in the share price should give everyone a nice payout in order to soothe the merger issues. That being said I am sure all the naysayers will pile on board to detract any positives of the combination. But you have to ask why was a merger good for DAL and UAL but not for AA?

Look who UA and DL merged with. Major players with huge route systems in major cities,large wide body fleets. AA stands to gain very little but US is looking to gain a lot.

Now What?? My guess is the APA spends some time comparing the companies LBO to the Delta TA.. Just a guess!!

We have a long way to go in this BK i'm afraid..

This time around US has signed contracts with APA,APFA,and the TWU. US did not have the same with UA . The UA thing was management to management . Unions had nothing to do with it . Come on Jim . You should know better than that .

Let's assume that you are totally correct. Because the bottom line is Parker had to "promise" something to get the unions on board. Cuts have to come somewhere...perhaps the US side. After all he didn't promise squat to you guys, unless I missed something.

I'm sticking to my guns that the unions are using him as a bargaining leverage. The END will justify who was right about the means :p

Actually they haven't signed contracts, merely bullet points. Besides, US can't legally have an enforcable contract with other airline's employees - no merger and any potential contracts between US and APA/APFA/TWU go away.

Jim

Gee, even I knew that!