Pilots to picket over pension

----------------
On 5/26/2003 2:23:55 PM fatherabraham wrote:

ONTHESTREET wrote:<

To answer your question about picketing. I doubt that the passengers care about the pilots problems, but I think this is mostly for the companies consumption. Too little too late though. 10 months ago would have been the time for the information picket.

On the street,

As usual, nice post.

I think the informational picketing will serve the purpose of:

1. Demonstrating to Mgt that the pilot group is Unified in their contempt for the theft of DB plan and not honoring current agreement.

2. Drawing media attention to situation.

3. Shining the light on the LIES of Usairways Mgt.

----------------​

Bingo! That is exactly what it is about. Also centers on raising the union spirit and having one collective voice heard loud. Can you imagine having a profound public awareness of the kind of management that runs U? Especially in PA, when the local and state officials are fed up as well?

Pressure is cooking and is ON!

I would seem to me that the Pilots are their own worst ememy. Sure your management may have duped you, but to go out to the general public and complain and have the media publish stories about how unfair you have been treated is susicidal.

People that are making fraction of what you make (which is the majority of the public) a year and are going to retire with maybe $30,000 a year and have little sympathy for you.

You can put more pressure on your company with the throttles in your hands than you ever will with a picket sign in your hand.

----------------
On 5/28/2003 7:55:27 PM Bizman wrote:

I would seem to me that the Pilots are their own worst ememy. Sure your management may have duped you, but to go out to the general public and complain and have the media publish stories about how unfair you have been treated is susicidal.

People that are making fraction of what you make (which is the majority of the public) a year and are going to retire with maybe $30,000 a year and have little sympathy for you.

You can put more pressure on your company with the throttles in your hands than you ever will with a picket sign in your hand.

----------------​

Oh my goodness, where have you been or me? The average employee at U will NOT retire with $30,000 a year; not near it. Personally, I will receive $19,000 yearly if I keep on the same path with the defined plan, and it doesn't get terminated before I reach retirement age in the next 20 years, and that is NOT minusing the Social Security offset of 50%...figure that one out. The picketing/leafleting scene is not all about the pilots. Other groups will participate with their own issues.

----------------
On 5/28/2003 8:05:45 PM PITbull wrote:

Oh my goodness, where have you been or me? The average employee at U will NOT retire with $30,000 a year; not near it. Personally, I will receive $19,000 yearly if I keep on the same path with the defined plan, and it doesn''t get terminated before I reach retirement age in the next 20 years, and that is NOT minusing the Social Security offset of 50%...figure that one out. The picketing/leafleting scene is not all about the pilots. Other groups will participate with their own issues.

----------------​

Sir,
I appoligize, I as well as anyone else who has kept up with this forum, knows that the pilots at U have taken it in the shorts. What I meant was that pilots in "general" are there own worse enemy. Most pilots in the industry will retire with quite a bit more than the $30,000 I mentioned and to tell your neighbor what you make and what you will retire with gets little or no sympathy. All they see is a guy going to all these great places and all the time you have at home. Don''t get me wrong, I know how much time you spend away from your families, missed ball games, kids birthdays, holidays, etc. Your industry is a crap shoot when you start to work due to the senority system and what may have looked like a sweet deal 10 years ago can turn bad for anyone at any of the airlines. If you would have told me 5 or 10 years ago that UA would file BK, I would have bet a months salary againts it. Hang in there, if there''s one thing for sure the airline industrry is always changing. I hope it works out for the best for you.

Bizman:

Bizman said: "You can put more pressure on your company with the throttles in your hands than you ever will with a picket sign in your hand."

Chip comments: ALPA has discussed different responses within the MEC, NC, Strike Preparedness Committee, and with its Advisors. I can assure you that the ALPA leadership fully understands its options and what needs to be done.

The challenge with your suggestion is that the US' employees true employers, our passengers, would be hurt. We do not want to hurt the customer and we understand the long-term consequences of this type of approach in this hyper-intensive business when just one customer per flight can make an enormous difference.

After what occurred at UA in the summer of 2000, this pilot group does not want to see a long-term drop in passenger confidence occur at US like it did at Chicago-based airline.

As far as ALPA's campaign, I can guarantee you Dave Siegel does not like to be publicly embarrassed with ALPA's code-a-phones, news media quotes, meetings with high-level government officials, and informational picketing.

Could this be why we may see some progress on some of the company's recent egregious contract violations? Something to think about...Moreover, when would now be a good time for the company to honor its commitments?

Chip

Latest posts