Pit Airmall Very Likely To Reopen To Public

funguy2 said:
In my opinion, this is awful, terrible news. One of the few changes that passengers can see is that non-passengers (with minor exceptions) are not allowed past security check-points. If we allow non-passengers beyond security check-points, many Americans and potential airline customers will begin to ask, "What has really changed since 9/11?"

The answer, will unfortunately be, not much.

The primary roll of an airport is safe passage from point a to point b... Not the "retail" experience. While I sympathize with PIT, and understand they need to find new sources of revenue, I believe they should not come at the expense of safety.
Going through a security checkpoint without an airline ticket is dangerous? Please explain that one.

funguy2 said:
The primary roll of an airport is safe passage from point a to point b... Not the "retail" experience. While I sympathize with PIT, and understand they need to find new sources of revenue, I believe they should not come at the expense of safety.
If you believe for a second that requiring a ticket to get thru security makes us more secure, I've got a bridge you might be interested in.....

ClueByFour said:
If you believe for a second that requiring a ticket to get thru security makes us more secure, I've got a bridge you might be interested in.....
Let's say its more of a deterrent. Another attack will be easier if non-passengers go through security.

I can envision a scenario where several people each taking an individual part of a bomb through security and assembling inside. While this would not be eliminated with non-passengers, it is more of a deterrent.

And I am talking about two things here... Actual security and appearance of security. The actual security of this measure is not high, but there is some deterrent issue. The perceived security will directly affect airline revenue. TSA needs to appear to move forward, not backward.

funguy2 said:
Let's say its more of a deterrent. Another attack will be easier if non-passengers go through security.

I can envision a scenario where several people each taking an individual part of a bomb through security and assembling inside. While this would not be eliminated with non-passengers, it is more of a deterrent.

And I am talking about two things here... Actual security and appearance of security. The actual security of this measure is not high, but there is some deterrent issue. The perceived security will directly affect airline revenue. TSA needs to appear to move forward, not backward.
Um, don't you think that these people could simply BUY an airline ticket?

Let's look at the facts -- the reason the FAA banned non-passengers from security checkpoints right after 9/11 is because the lines were enormously long, and they didn't want the lines to be any longer. It had nothing to do with security and everything to do with trying to save the airline industry.

Unfortunately it didn't work very well, as the huge security lines after 9/11 disappeared primarily because people saw these long lines on TV and said "to hell with flying; I'm canceling (or driving)".

Now that the lines are minimal in most places, let non-passengers back in. Just as before 9/11, airports should be able to require a ticket if the lines are too long or the terminal gets too crowded (e.g., AA terminal at LGA).

If a so-called "backtracking" security regulation causes the stupid people among us to stay home because they think it's too dangerous to fly, I say that's a good thing.

If anything causes people to stay home and not fly, it's a bad thing. At least, if you work in the airline industry.

funguy2 said:

If somebody wants to assemble a bomb in the manner in which you suggest, they will simply buy tickets. Presumably, if they are willing to assemble a bomb and/or take it onto a plane and blow it up, they are already willing to break the law. Ergo, buying the ticket provides no deterrent.

So we should allow paranoia and fear to drive our desire to continue to do things which add absolutely no real security? If we continue to do things in that matter, it's only a matter of time before another attack, Airmall or no Airmall.

Would it be fair game if the TSA made everyone without a ticket take their shoes off? After all, the TSA could then claim that a Richard Reid wannabe would not be slipping thru security without a ticket, and would thus, by your logic, appear to offer more security?

I had a dream once about a guy who did the following:

Arrange a meeting in a city with a direct flight from PIT.
Book a refundable ticket from PIT to anywhere.
Shop.
Take the call from your assistant notifying you that the meeting was cancelled.
Refund the ticket at US special services on your way out.

Then again, I would urge anyone who wants to shop Airmall at PIT to do the following:

Stop
Think about why you want to pay for parking and go through waiting in line and taking off your shoes just to shop
Pull off the freeway a couple of miles early at Robinson. They even have Costco!

I mean, seriously, isn't there something a little odd about the idea of shopping at a place that's hard to get to when there's a better substitute within a stone's throw?

mweiss said:
Then again, I would urge anyone who wants to shop Airmall at PIT to do the following:

Stop
Think about why you want to pay for parking and go through waiting in line and taking off your shoes just to shop
Pull off the freeway a couple of miles early at Robinson. They even have Costco!

I mean, seriously, isn't there something a little odd about the idea of shopping at a place that's hard to get to when there's a better substitute within a stone's throw?
Before the Pointe, Mall at Robinson, etc, the Airmall actually had some drawing power. I agree that at the present time, there is very little reason to head to the Airmall, save perhaps to visit Brooks Brothers or Swarovski or some other store whose only and/or closest location is in the Airmall.

That said, I had a dream once where this guy did something like this:

Went to LGA.
Purchased a refundable ticket to DCA.
Met relative who just happened to be passing thru at gate.
Decided to invite relative to dinner, refunded ticket on the way out at the US Club.

The common thread, of course, is that in both dreams, an individual got thru security with a ticket, did not take a flight, and paid for nothing more than parking.

JS said:
Might as well. There's basically nobody there anymore:
Now that picture just isnt fair. Its at the end of D concourse!

There is never anyone around that WOK & ROLL, and from what I remember, U doesnt even fly out of D! The picture was taken from where the AA gates are!

...but... fair or not, your right. It is kinda empty.

...and the picture made me laugh. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents worth is that very few people will go to the airport to shop. Just can't see someone saying "I'm going to run out to the airport and pick up some take-out for dinner".

My theory is that ACAA is hoping those seeing people off or meeting them will do it in the concourses instead of outside security. If they happen to grab a bite to eat or browse the shops, so much the better.

Jim

mweiss said:

Stop

You sir are 110% correct.

The Airmall circa 1994ish was a moderately good idea. Circa 2004ish, its something that I couldnt even imagine coming from now unemployed Dave-o.

A few huge reasons would keep people away:

- Mall at Robinson (less than 10 miles away)
- Pointe at Robinson (same)
- Parking (free everywhere else)
- Lack of quality / quantity of shops (not a full-fledged mall - not stores for everything)

and the biggie:

- Proliferation of the Internet (not existant when the Airport was built)

Only you guys could spend the better part of two pages debating whether an empty pic is Concourse D or Concourse A.......

The Pit airport authorities probably want to reopen AirMall simply because they need the revenue. Sure, I'd choose revenue over security any day!

The AirMall, like the airport itself, was a great idea when conceived back in the 90's (for that matter the very idea of conceiving itself always seems to be a popular idea) but I digress.

Re-opening the AirMall ain't going to assure the vitality of the airport. You need airplanes to do that. The Pit authorities should go for redevelopment of the retail space, perhaps invite an airline or airline-related business to make the airport a corporate HQ, or how about moving that air travel school near PIT to the airport??

Remember when TCBY was a great idea? Where are they now? Oh yeah, location location location. An impulse-buy ice cream store in the middle of a strip shopping center! Obviously those planners didn't have small kids!

I'm not as dumb as I look. Really.

As a frequent traveler, Pittsburgh Airmall is the best airport retail in the country by far.

In terms of opening the airport back to non-ticketed passengers I think Pit is a good test market.

The county needs all the revenue it can get with US Air abandoning ship, this will provide a temporary boost for a struggling airport.