Pit May Open To Public

It's ironic that you should post this Light Years. I just heard this the other day on the train in Pit. I overheard some passengers talking about this very same thing. There has been alot of revenue lost since 9/11 due to security. Many would like to come and shop.They have some great stores.

There's a funny set of conflicting issues here. Initially, the restrictions were put in place because of the increased screening time per passenger, which meant even the increased number of screening stations could not accommodate non-passengers.

Then they added identity verification at the security checkpoint so as to obviate the need to check at the gate.

Now, if we allow non-passengers through the security checkpoint, we cannot be assured that the passenger on the flight matches the name on the ticket.

And round and round we go.

mweiss said:
Now, if we allow non-passengers through the security checkpoint, we cannot be assured that the passenger on the flight matches the name on the ticket.
How do the current procedures ensure any such thing?

Nothing stops me from handing my boarding pass to another person after I pass through "security" today. :rolleyes:

If non-passengers want to shop the PIT stores it's easy -- all they need to do is buy a fully refundable walk-up ticket, pass through security, shop til they drop and then get a refund on their way home. I suggest buying Envoy tickets to Europe ;)

Of course you're right on those points, and there's at least a dozen other ways I can think of off the top of my head to be past security today without even purchasing a ticket. The whole thing is rather absurd.

Having said that, this was the rationale for having identity checked at the xray lines.

It's another one of those TSA things that makes no sense to anyone with half a brain, but I keep my mouth shut and just nod and smile.

I'm no TSA advocate, but it is a necessary "evil" these days, compliments of the real terrorists; subsequently we all will be forever turning our belt buckles over before boarding the transit at PIT. I am a bit confused though as to why the airport authority would be pushing for such a "drastic" change in the post 9/11 security. I HATE shopping in general, but who in the world would go through the extreme aggravation to pay to park, a mile from a store, fight long lines, demoralizing near strip search treatment, further train ride, escalator ride......all to shop at the identical stores located convienently 2 miles down the street at expansive Robinson Twp? I never understood the "excitement" folks garner from shopping, I find it also a necessary evil when I need something; but this sounds ludicrous to me. What type of revenue boost would they expect vs. any possible security breaches? Are the panties at Victoria's Secret sold at the airport more confortable than those sold elsewhere?

I've never really understood the ban on non-ticketed passengers. After all, the terrorists were ticketed - in the same group who still gets through security now, obviously. And don't we all have to go through the same level of security anyway (well, except for SPs)?

Things have changed a bit...it used to be (post 9/11) that if you set off the detector, you were immediately dispatched to the "criminal corral" to await further screening. Lately, though (in PIT at least), I've noticed that they're giving people another "chance" to remove anything that might set it off...then go through the detector again.

I'm curious to see how they'll handle it. Maybe start requiring ID at boarding once again?

TomBascom said:
How do the current procedures ensure any such thing?

Nothing stops me from handing my boarding pass to another person after I pass through "security" today. :rolleyes:
True, but at least today, any person you handed it to had identification and a valid boarding pass when they passed through security. Well, at least that is the way the system is supposed to work.

If this plan goes through at any airport, we will have to go back to providing picture id at boarding time. However, while I was still flying, I saw multiple incidences of people responsible for verifying the id not even bothering to actually look at the picture then look at the face of the person presenting it. They only verified that the passenger had A picture id, not THEIR picture id.

Short of thumbprint verification or the cornea scan or some such, I guess there is no way to ever guarantee that the person boarding the plane is the person listed on the boarding pass.

USFlyer said:
It's another one of those TSA things that makes no sense to anyone with half a brain, but I keep my mouth shut and just nod and smile.
I used to think that also, but I have come to realize that the main benefit, with far fewer people in the terminal area, it that it's easier for security personnel to monitor the facility when only ticketed passengers are allowed past the security checkpoints. Security lines are already long enough without doubling the number of people going through. As a passenger or crew member, I know I am a lot less stressed waiting for my flight when there are fewer people in the boarding area, seats are available, and not as many misbehaved children are running up and down the corridor. In addition, it's much easier to hear boarding and other announcements when chatter levels are reduced. While it's nice to have people see you off at the gate or greet you upon arrival, I see no practical benefits of allowing everyone and his brother inside the terminal.

I was referring to the showing of ID at the security checkpoint. At this point, anyone can simply hand his boarding pass off to someone else. It's a good way to get around not being able to transfer tickets to a third party. The one who wants to travel buys a fully refundable ticket on another flight, while the other checks-in for the flight he's booked on. Both go through security. Then, they swap boarding passes and refund the refundable ticket.

Or maybe you belong to the club. You're allowed through security without a boarding pass if you're going to the club.

There are other ways, too.