PITTSBURGH RANKED #1 US CITY!

MAAMARCH04

Jan 28, 2006
Fresh off the wire.....

Pittsburgh is back at No. 1 among Places Rated

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

We're back, baby.

The 25th anniversary edition of "Places Rated Almanac" is going to press with its latest ranking of America's most livable cities, and Pittsburgh has returned to the top.

The ranking, revealed tonight by publisher David Savageau, puts Pittsburgh back in the catbird seat it occupied in the almanac's buzz-worthy 1985 edition, a designation that created a nationwide gasp of discussion -- and publicity -- that the city embraced with pride.

The ranking of 379 metropolitan areas in America are based on nine categories: housing (cost of living); transportation; jobs; education; climate; crime; health care; recreation; and ambience (museums, arts, restaurants and historical districts).

The rest of the top 10 are San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, Rochester, N.Y., Washington, D.C., San Jose-Sunnyvale, Calif., Boston and Madison, Wis.

Goldsboro, N.C., finished last.

Since the publication of the 1985 almanac, Pittsburgh has dropped as low as 14th in 1997 and 12th in 1999, the last year that the listings were done, but the city is the only one to finish in the top 20 every time.

I really don't know how to respond to this. Congratulations.
This must be why people give you a weird look when you ask if they're moving to PHL( Why would I do that?).
There must be an increase of the population over a period of years resulting in increased housing costs, among other things. Due to these favorable ratings, how have they managed to handle this when other cities can't?

This is good news. Maybe they will re- establish the PIT hub now? :lol:

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change to see happy employees in a clean state-of-the-art airport? Talk about your customer service rankings rising...ah but that all makes too much sense. :blink:

Later,
Eye

Here's some good quotes from that article:

"I'd rather be a toilet seat in Denver than the mayor of Pittsburgh," wrote one astonished columnist in Colorado.

The Boston Globe, instead of trumpeting the fact that Boston ranked a healthy second, editorialized that the listings should not be taken "too seriously" considering who came out No. 1.

"It's hard to enjoy the amenities of any region if you don't have any money," said Don Smith, vice president of economic development for the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.

Now thats funny stuff :D All joking aside I like PIT. :up: Good Job.

I was in Pittsburgh about a month ago and all I saw on the Pittsburgh new (KDKA) were reports that Piitsburgh is the fastest shrinking city in America.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17954186

"Parts of the Rust Belt also had large declines. The Pittsburgh metro area led the way, losing 60,000 people from 2000 to 2006. Its population loss was followed by declines in Cleveland, Buffalo, N.Y., Youngstown, Ohio, and Scranton, Pa."

“Maybe those metro areas should think about what it would take to make Americans want to live there,â€￾ Camarota said.

I was in Pittsburgh about a month ago and all I saw on the Pittsburgh new (KDKA) were reports that Piitsburgh is the fastest shrinking city in America.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17954186

"Parts of the Rust Belt also had large declines. The Pittsburgh metro area led the way, losing 60,000 people from 2000 to 2006. Its population loss was followed by declines in Cleveland, Buffalo, N.Y., Youngstown, Ohio, and Scranton, Pa."

“Maybe those metro areas should think about what it would take to make Americans want to live there,â€￾ Camarota said.

Artificial sunlight? Cloud dispersal systems? :unsure:

Pittburgh ranked Number 1 US City? Its from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette, what did you expect? Maybe cause downtown Properties come with an acre of land.

Pittburgh ranked Number 1 US City? Its from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette, what did you expect? Maybe cause downtown Properties come with an acre of land.

"The 25th anniversary edition of "Places Rated Almanac" is going to press with its latest ranking of America's most livable cities, and Pittsburgh has returned to the top."

The Post-Gazette just reported it.....

Latest posts

Back