Prater Speaks

May 6, 2007
Finally some leadership by ALPA!! I posted this in another thread but I think it is important enough to stand on its own because of the not so subtle message regarding the AWA-US seniority integration. If east is still in doubt as to the direction the EC will take next Tuesday, then I don't know what else to tell you other than wait till Tuesday :)

http://www.alpa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=179

------------------------------------------

From the President

Leaders Make the Tough Calls

After serving as your president for six months, I can assure you that the job is both the best and the toughest I’ve ever had.

I have enjoyed nothing more than getting out on the road to meet with line pilots at road shows and rallies. Everywhere I’ve been, you’ve looked me in the eye and told me what is on your mind. You are sick of greedy CEOs who reward themselves after you sacrificed billions to save your airline. You are fed up with schedules and managers who push you to fly longer because of staffing decisions. You are tired of TSA screeners treating you like the threat.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it now—we can take it back, but we can’t take it back overnight, and we won’t take it back by flying solo. Forcing those CEOs to pay up for your sacrifice is going to take time and unified efforts. Changing airport screening procedures is going to take political strength, and we have begun to make progress at the TSA, the FAA, and Congress. And we have a long slog ahead to tackle the ancient flight-time/duty-time rules and garner support in Congress on this most basic safety aspect of our work lives.

We are in the middle of negotiations at Alaska, Atlantic Southeast, Pinnacle, and US Airways. We are preparing for full negotiations at Mesa and Continental and are in push mode to find interim solutions at airlines whose contracts are not amendable for years.

I’ve made it clear to the news media, financial analysts, and airline CEOs that we are not going away. I’ve met with the head of the TSA to present our CrewPASS initiative with our union building the prototype and working on its adoption. And I have testified several times before Congress on our views on pilot fatigue, other safety issues, and pensions.

The hardest part of my job has been dealing with issues that pit pilot against pilot. Chief among these have been Age 60 and the aftermath of the merger of US Airways and America West. In both cases, however, we have taken it head-on, refusing to skirt the issues where large numbers of pilots hold diametrically opposed opinions. The Executive Board and the Executive Council have used their command authority within our union and not shied away from dealing with the hard issues that affect individual careers and the future of our profession.

The Executive Board’s week-long debate on the ALPA position on Age 60 is a superb example of the Board’s fulfilling its heavy responsibility. The MEC chairmen, who make up the Board, looked at the issue from all sides and chose a course of action. You may disagree with the outcome, but I want you to know that these pilot representatives worked together to find a way for ALPA to effectively deal with the reality of the situation to influence the eventual outcome and not cede the influence to other parties.

At US Airways, we are seeing the results of one of ALPA’s most challenging mergers. ALPA merger policy requires me, the other national officers, the Executive Council, and ALPA staff to maintain “a neutral position on the merits†with respect to seniority integration. It also says, “The role of ALPA in seniority integration is solely to provide the process by which the affected pilot groups on ALPA airlines arrive at the merged seniority list for presentation to management, through their respective merger representatives, using arbitration if necessary. Responsibility for the merged seniority list falls upon the respective merger representatives.…â€

The two pilot groups made every decision along the way. They raised their own funds to pay for their own counsel. They gave direction to their merger committees regarding what positions to take in both the negotiations and mediation and ultimately the decision to send the issue to arbitration over the method of integrating the seniority lists. They consented to the fact that the decision would be, as ALPA policy states, “final and binding.â€

ALPA’s Executive Council, at its May meeting, heard presentations from the two pilot groups regarding their opposing views on the award. The Council has decided to continue its deliberations at a June meeting.

Separate from the efforts of the Council, I am working with both MECs and the Joint Negotiations Committee to develop a strategy to support ongoing negotiations with their management. ALPA’s goal is to make sure that their contract provides measurable improvement in the pay and benefits of all pilots flying for the new US Airways and establishes the pattern of recovery for all of our members. Takin’ It Back means from management—not from each other.

Be sure to welcome our newest members to ALPA when you hear the call sign, Cappy, of the Capital Cargo pilots.

Finally some leadership by ALPA!! I posted this in another thread but I think it is important enough to stand on its own because of the not so subtle message regarding the AWA-US seniority integration. If east is still in doubt as to the direction the EC will take next Tuesday, then I don't know what else to tell you other than wait till Tuesday :)
http://www.alpa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=179

------------------------------------------

From the President

Leaders Make the Tough Calls

After serving as your president for six months, I can assure you that the job is both the best and the toughest I’ve ever had.

I have enjoyed nothing more than getting out on the road to meet with line pilots at road shows and rallies. Everywhere I’ve been, you’ve looked me in the eye and told me what is on your mind. You are sick of greedy CEOs who reward themselves after you sacrificed billions to save your airline. You are fed up with schedules and managers who push you to fly longer because of staffing decisions. You are tired of TSA screeners treating you like the threat.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it now—we can take it back, but we can’t take it back overnight, and we won’t take it back by flying solo. Forcing those CEOs to pay up for your sacrifice is going to take time and unified efforts. Changing airport screening procedures is going to take political strength, and we have begun to make progress at the TSA, the FAA, and Congress. And we have a long slog ahead to tackle the ancient flight-time/duty-time rules and garner support in Congress on this most basic safety aspect of our work lives.

We are in the middle of negotiations at Alaska, Atlantic Southeast, Pinnacle, and US Airways. We are preparing for full negotiations at Mesa and Continental and are in push mode to find interim solutions at airlines whose contracts are not amendable for years.

I’ve made it clear to the news media, financial analysts, and airline CEOs that we are not going away. I’ve met with the head of the TSA to present our CrewPASS initiative with our union building the prototype and working on its adoption. And I have testified several times before Congress on our views on pilot fatigue, other safety issues, and pensions.

The hardest part of my job has been dealing with issues that pit pilot against pilot. Chief among these have been Age 60 and the aftermath of the merger of US Airways and America West. In both cases, however, we have taken it head-on, refusing to skirt the issues where large numbers of pilots hold diametrically opposed opinions. The Executive Board and the Executive Council have used their command authority within our union and not shied away from dealing with the hard issues that affect individual careers and the future of our profession.

The Executive Board’s week-long debate on the ALPA position on Age 60 is a superb example of the Board’s fulfilling its heavy responsibility. The MEC chairmen, who make up the Board, looked at the issue from all sides and chose a course of action. You may disagree with the outcome, but I want you to know that these pilot representatives worked together to find a way for ALPA to effectively deal with the reality of the situation to influence the eventual outcome and not cede the influence to other parties.

At US Airways, we are seeing the results of one of ALPA’s most challenging mergers. ALPA merger policy requires me, the other national officers, the Executive Council, and ALPA staff to maintain “a neutral position on the merits†with respect to seniority integration. It also says, “The role of ALPA in seniority integration is solely to provide the process by which the affected pilot groups on ALPA airlines arrive at the merged seniority list for presentation to management, through their respective merger representatives, using arbitration if necessary. Responsibility for the merged seniority list falls upon the respective merger representatives.…â€

The two pilot groups made every decision along the way. They raised their own funds to pay for their own counsel. They gave direction to their merger committees regarding what positions to take in both the negotiations and mediation and ultimately the decision to send the issue to arbitration over the method of integrating the seniority lists. They consented to the fact that the decision would be, as ALPA policy states, “final and binding.â€

ALPA’s Executive Council, at its May meeting, heard presentations from the two pilot groups regarding their opposing views on the award. The Council has decided to continue its deliberations at a June meeting.

Separate from the efforts of the Council, I am working with both MECs and the Joint Negotiations Committee to develop a strategy to support ongoing negotiations with their management. ALPA’s goal is to make sure that their contract provides measurable improvement in the pay and benefits of all pilots flying for the new US Airways and establishes the pattern of recovery for all of our members. Takin’ It Back means from management—not from each other.

Be sure to welcome our newest members to ALPA when you hear the call sign, Cappy, of the Capital Cargo pilots.

If this letter is what your hanging your hat on, you're in for a great deal of frustration. We have a long, long way to go. The only shortcut to this problem is the EC throwing the award out. Short of that, we'll be chomping it over in the ol' folks home.

If this letter is what your hanging your hat on, you're in for a great deal of frustration. We have a long, long way to go. The only shortcut to this problem is the EC throwing the award out. Short of that, we'll be chomping it over in the ol' folks home.

Even if that were the case who would pay for it?? You gonna pony up for both sides?? You think national is gonna pay our way for this farse?? Even by some stroke of extreme luck you got your wish, when would it be over? I guess by your logic we just keep on throwing out awards until you get your way huh??

I thought you guys were leaving ALPA?

The first thing Captain P will be 'taking back' is about 3000 AAA ALPA pins.

"After serving as your president for six months, I can assure you that the job is both the best and the toughest I’ve ever had."
Poor Baby...he's only pocketed a QUARTER MILLION dollars for that trying first six months!!! It must truly be "the toughest" for him...almost makes me want to cry.

Methinks that the appropriate location for said pins comes under the heading of "Where the sun don't shine" :up:

Whichever.

You're still here though, right?

At least has the date of the vote been announced?

Whichever.

You're still here though, right?

At least has the date of the vote been announced?

All talk Bear, they are not going anywhere. They might and I stress the word might get 1000 cards to remove ALPA. This is the same strong talk and threats they have used for the past two years.

Their national officer and fellow east pilot Chris Beebe has already warned them of the major mistake they would be making marching around naked without any representation. By the end of the day all that trash they're talking is just that, trash...

All talk Bear, they are not going anywhere. They might and I stress the word might get 1000 cards to remove ALPA. This is the same strong talk and threats they have used for the past two years.

Their national officer and fellow east pilot Chris Beebe has already warned them of the major mistake they would be making marching around naked without any representation. By the end of the day all that trash they're talking is just that, trash...

First off they would simply replace the current representation, not be without it. Secondly, what do you think Chris Beebe's motivation is? It wouldn't be that cush National Officer salary and all the bennies that would go away if US Airway's left ALPA, now would it?

It wouldn't be that cush National Officer salary and all the bennies that would go away if US Airway's left ALPA, now would it?

News flash: USAir is a peanut airline compared to the giant four (UAL, DAL, NWA, CAL). ALPA wouldn't miss a small collection of 50-somethings engrossed in themselves and having decertification dreams... :lol:

We are waiting to see what the EC is going to do. You just dont change over night, geez. As far as "I got mine Beebe". He wont have a job if we decertify. It doesnt take much to figure that one out. I just love how you have all the answers. You will see soon enough. Not talk just fact.

News flash: USAir is a peanut airline compared to the giant four (UAL, DAL, NWA, CAL). ALPA wouldn't miss a small collection of 50-somethings engrossed in themselves and having decertification dreams... :lol:

Maybe not, but Chris Bebee sure would. So to quote him on anything is a definite skew on perception.

If US Airways breaks out, and UAL follows which is very likely considering the already have a strong movement to decertify, ALPA numbers would be dominated by the regional airlines. I doubt CAL, NWA, or DAL will stick around long after that but maybe ALPA will finally spend the time and effort to negotiate real wages for the professionals at the regionals and end one of the major factors for the pressure to outsource.

Want to bet? Combined list of over 5000 due paying members. A bunch of 30 -somethings I know everything engrossed in protecting their windfall.

AWA320 said: "All talk Bear, they are not going anywhere. They might and I stress the word might get 1000 cards to remove ALPA. This is the same strong talk and threats they have used for the past two years. Their national officer and fellow east pilot Chris Beebe has already warned them of the major mistake they would be making marching around naked without any representation. By the end of the day all that trash they're talking is just that, trash."

USA320Pilot comments: This is untrue. First, if ALPA is decertified Chris Beebe would not have an ALPA job because he is a US Airways pilot.

Second, the intent is for ALPA to be quickly replaced by another union, probabaly the TWU.

In regard to voting on representation, all furloughees and ALPA members in bad standing could vote on who they would want to represent thme. Thus, there would be over 4,000 US Airways pilots eligible to vote in a representational election.

This information has been thoroughly reserached. Pay particular attention to who can vote in a representation election: non-members AND furloughed pilots. The reference is:

See Story

The US Airways East pilots have set up a website to remove ALPA and have used different resources to get email addresses and phone numbers for every East pilot, who can be individually contacted in regard to decertifying ALPA and replacing ALPA with another union.

In addition, the Washington-based Labor Law firm of Baptiste & Wilder has been retained by the East pilots to advise the pilots on how to proceed as a part of ALPA or after the decertification process begins, if necessary.

If there is not an acceptable solution to the Nicolau Award such as an improvement of East pay/vacation to West rates, the East pilots living under the remainder or LOA 93, and the two pilot group remaining separate to preserve their career expectations then expect the decertification process to begin.

The East pilots have put in place a plan to remove ALPA andh most of the building blocks in place to begin the process.

Regards,

USA320Pilot