Prayers for Bill

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
I am writing to you all to inform you of some sad news and I would like to ask for your assistance. I have been told that Bill O'Brien is in the hospital and he is in very bad shape. Many of you know Bill and what he has done for our craft. For those of you who do not know Bill let me just say that he is certainly one of a kind. Bill recently retired from the FAA after a long career of championing the AMT craft & profession. His accomplishments are many and Bill would be the first person to down play his importance because that is Bill's style. He never did anything for selfish reasons. His ultimate goal was helping the AMT.

One of the things that Bill did was create the FAA's Charles E. Taylor Master Mechanic Award which recognized AMTs having FIFTY YEARS of working experience, with 30 of those years being licensed. This is a very prestigious award that recognizes those men and women who helped shape our craft into what it is today. Without Bill's energy there would be no such award.

Bill also worked with Eastern New Mexico University to not only recognize that the A&P license is worth 72 credits towards a college degree but also helped ENMU create the four courses necessary for a licensed AMT to take in order to earn an Associates Degree. It is because of this that I am going back to school, as are many others, to finish my education. Bill also advocates AMTs to earn their I.A. certificate because AMTs should be as knowledgeable as possible. He has also written a wonderful monthly article in AMT Magazine addressing issues concerning AMTs with an informative, direct and humorous approach.

These are just some of the many positive impacts that Bill has had on our craft. Bill is a mechanic's mechanic. He needs our prayers and I would like to ask each of you to do just that. The Lord listens and if we all talk to Him, wishing for a speedy recovery for Bill, I am sure that Bill will be back doing what he has always done... fight for AMTs.

Cards can be sent to Mr. Bill O'Brien, 12508 Lt. Nichols Road, Fairfax VA 22033. Even if you have not heard of Bill he would be happy to receive a card from you. With all that Bill has accomplished if it was measured in the number of get well cards the USPS would have dedicated trucks just for him. Please tell your fellow AMTs about Bill's need for prayers and words of love and well wishes. Sincerely, Kenneth MacTiernan Director AMTA

<_< ----- Ken, Sorry to hear about Bill! I'll talk to our Senior Inspector here at MCI on Monday! I'm sure he'll want to know about Bill, and inform all the Charles Taylor Award recipients here in Kansas City!

Hello,

Bill O'Brien is in worse condition. he has a bad case of pneumonia and his lungs are filling up with fluid. His family is very concerned. They are grateful for the cards and prayers and ask for people to keep sending both. I will keep you informed as I get information. Ken

I am writing to you all to inform you of some sad news and I would like to ask for your assistance. I have been told that Bill O'Brien is in the hospital and he is in very bad shape. Many of you know Bill and what he has done for our craft. For those of you who do not know Bill let me just say that he is certainly one of a kind. Bill recently retired from the FAA after a long career of championing the AMT craft & profession. His accomplishments are many and Bill would be the first person to down play his importance because that is Bill's style. He never did anything for selfish reasons. His ultimate goal was helping the AMT.

One of the things that Bill did was create the FAA's Charles E. Taylor Master Mechanic Award which recognized AMTs having FIFTY YEARS of working experience, with 30 of those years being licensed. This is a very prestigious award that recognizes those men and women who helped shape our craft into what it is today. Without Bill's energy there would be no such award.

Bill also worked with Eastern New Mexico University to not only recognize that the A&P license is worth 72 credits towards a college degree but also helped ENMU create the four courses necessary for a licensed AMT to take in order to earn an Associates Degree. It is because of this that I am going back to school, as are many others, to finish my education. Bill also advocates AMTs to earn their I.A. certificate because AMTs should be as knowledgeable as possible. He has also written a wonderful monthly article in AMT Magazine addressing issues concerning AMTs with an informative, direct and humorous approach.

These are just some of the many positive impacts that Bill has had on our craft. Bill is a mechanic's mechanic. He needs our prayers and I would like to ask each of you to do just that. The Lord listens and if we all talk to Him, wishing for a speedy recovery for Bill, I am sure that Bill will be back doing what he has always done... fight for AMTs.

Cards can be sent to Mr. Bill O'Brien, 12508 Lt. Nichols Road, Fairfax VA 22033. Even if you have not heard of Bill he would be happy to receive a card from you. With all that Bill has accomplished if it was measured in the number of get well cards the USPS would have dedicated trucks just for him. Please tell your fellow AMTs about Bill's need for prayers and words of love and well wishes. Sincerely, Kenneth MacTiernan Director AMTA

As one of those graduates of ENMU's associate program (soon to be a Bachelor's Degree), my heartfelt thanks go out to Bill and his family in this trying time.

It is with a sad heart that I am writing to inform everyone that Bill O'Brien passed away this evening. Bill was surrounded by friends and family. Details will follow as to Bill's ceremony. Please keep the O'Brien family in your hearts and prayers through this difficult time. Bill O'Brien was one of a kind. His impact on the A&P craft and profession elevated the status of thousands of skilled men and women. Bill was a fighter and he never complained. Charles E. Taylor now has a new friend in Heaven. Ken MacTiernan

It is with a sad heart that I am writing to inform everyone that Bill O'Brien passed away this evening. Bill was surrounded by friends and family. Details will follow as to Bill's ceremony. Please keep the O'Brien family in your hearts and prayers through this difficult time. Bill O'Brien was one of a kind. His impact on the A&P craft and profession elevated the status of thousands of skilled men and women. Bill was a fighter and he never complained. Charles E. Taylor now has a new friend in Heaven. Ken MacTiernan
A big loss for all A&Ps. Condolenes to his family and prayers for him, Slan Abaile Bill.

Latest posts