Problem pilots

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Records showed Delta Airlines had the most pilots, 71, to face trouble. US Airways had 69 and Southwest Airlines 23.

Of the eight major airlines News 8 reviewed, American Airlines was second to the bottom with 18. Northwest Airlines had 15.

American's pilots said they're the most experienced in the industry and less apt to cut corners.

"We're not surprised by the data because of what we instill in our pilots or professionalism and experience," Shankland said. "And when they board that aircraft, their sole purpose is to get their passengers safely to the destination."

The Allied Pilots Association represents American's pilots.

Our pilots should be the highest paid. They are the most professional, one of the largest pilot groups yet they have nearly the lowest number of FAA sanctions.

"They are the most professional"

Maybe once in the cockpit. Before and after, Hill and is cronies are downright morons!!

Records showed Delta Airlines had the most pilots, 71, to face trouble. US Airways had 69 and Southwest Airlines 23.

Of the eight major airlines News 8 reviewed, American Airlines was second to the bottom with 18. Northwest Airlines had 15.

American's pilots said they're the most experienced in the industry and less apt to cut corners.

On it's face this single statistic sounds good and it is indeed good news. But it doesn't tell much other than that. Is this just a measure of FAA infractions? If so good but it's sort of like making a call on a batter's worth based solely on his HR numbers compared to other batters but not taking into account his AB's, Strike Outs, Slugging Percentage, and overall average. Bottom line is it's just ONE indicator of many that need to be measured. Similarly it's like management saying how good they're doing based solely on the current price of the company's stock. And we all know how meaningless that indicator is!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of AA pilots and the good work they do.....my wife is one of them! I think if you want to show just how good one group is doing one needs to add more to the equation. Otherwise your detractors will see this just as a single self-serving statistic meant to shore up a bargaining position. Management will likely trot out accident rates, incidents, etc. Yikes!!!

Cheers,
Z B)

Latest posts