Profits

I agree with you on the downgrades on wn stock. Net profit not so much. I think you have forgotten our record breaking second quarter earlier this year. The impression I am getting from you is you're like an armchair quarterback whom is just sitting on his Butt waiting to say I told you so. Seems childish to me.
Payback? Why? All Southwest can be accused of is growing steadily into markets that demanded lower fares. Whos fault is that? If your Executives can not see that far down the road to stave off the Southwest effect. Who deserves the blame? This is good ol' American capitolism and in the airline biz with the volatile environment that we are currently in its either shape up or ship out.

You bet I am waiting to say I told you so, BECAUSE I DID.

Without your fuel hedge, your company is an also ran in service, an anomaly that profited on the difficulties brought by 9-11 that were visited on all of us except you.

Based on that backdrop, you won't mind if I say that while your company starts to struggle compared to others, I say " it is just the flying public demanding decent service for their money".

JBG

PS - "the southwest effect" - an arrogant statement in itself.

PS #2 - saw your BS advertisement about having to pay for using the bathrooms - looks like SWA is getting desperate with this kind of misleading advertising.

PS #2 - saw your BS advertisement about having to pay for using the bathrooms - looks like SWA is getting desperate with this kind of misleading advertising.
Misleading? How much longer before they start? Otherwise - the ad was pretty much dead on about what flying on a "full service" carrier is like.

Misleading? How much longer before they start? Otherwise - the ad was pretty much dead on about what flying on a "full service" carrier is like.

What does it cost to watch a movie on an SWA flight compared to JetBlue? How much does JetBlue charge for snacks? How about AA? How much do they charge for first class food?

Now what does WN charge for the above?

b]"Southwest Effect"[/b] is not being arrogant... do some research- like Harvard Business School and most MBA programs. The term is coined, copywrited, and used to describe an economic effect on consumer spending and markets.

Shows how long it has been since you have been on a real airline...

We don't charge for blankets, pillows, peanuts,etc.

SWA charges for alchohol just like everyone else.

It is plain and simple misleading advertising in my opinion.

Desperate indeed, DING!!

JBG

Shows how long it has been since you have been on a real airline...

We don't charge for blankets, pillows, peanuts,etc.

SWA charges for alchohol just like everyone else.

It is plain and simple misleading advertising in my opinion.

Desperate indeed, DING!!

JBG
IT will be a long time before I am on an airline with a bunch of arrogant a-holes in the cockpit of the plane.

IIRC, if I want better legroom on United, I am going to have to pay a bit extra to get it, as econ+ isn't exactly available to the rest of the cabin. And if I don't - I am banished to knees in the back of the seat in front of me land.

Also mags...nice how you have suddenly become a Jetblue fan. Maybe one day you can work for them.

Without your fuel hedge, your company is an also ran in service, an anomaly that profited on the difficulties brought by 9-11 that were visited on all of us except you.

Based on that backdrop, you won't mind if I say that while your company starts to struggle compared to others, I say " it is just the flying public demanding decent service for their money".

JBG

PS - "the southwest effect" - an arrogant statement in itself.

The term "southwest effect" is not even a term that WN came up with. It came from schools that were studying the economic effects of Southwest Airlines going into traditionally expensive airfare markets. So where does the arrogance lie?

b]"Southwest Effect"[/b] is not being arrogant... do some research- like Harvard Business School and most MBA programs. The term is coined, copywrited, and used to describe an economic effect on consumer spending and markets.
Define Southwest Effect
Southwest effect . The drop in fares that occurs when a low-fare airline begins serving an airport that had previously had no low-fare carriers. Named for Southwest Airlines, but used regardless of which low-fare carrier is involved.

To look up another word, click here.

The Travel Industry Dictionary is provided courtesy of www.HomeTravelAgency.com

Define Southwest Effect
Southwest effect . The drop in fares that occurs when a low-fare airline begins serving an airport that had previously had no low-fare carriers. Named for Southwest Airlines, but used regardless of which low-fare carrier is involved.

To look up another word, click here.

The Travel Industry Dictionary is provided courtesy of www.HomeTravelAgency.com

Unfortunately with the results of 9-11 and where oil is, this is a dying or dead effect.

Your company cannot afford to enter markets and charge low fares and still be profitable.

I have always asked "what happens if passengers aren't willing to pay the same money for the lesser product that is flying on your cattle car multi-stop airline?"

The answer is a big hit in revenue and lower load factors. You can blame it on a problem in London all you want, but we know none of your guppies fly within a thousand miles of the place....Your 3rd quarter results are trending in exactly the wrong direction.

SWA is getting more desperate by the day..

JBG

SWA.. A Fuel Hedge anomaly.

Unfortunately with the results of 9-11 and where oil is, this is a dying or dead effect.

Your company cannot afford to enter markets and charge low fares and still be profitable.

I have always asked "what happens if passengers aren't willing to pay the same money for the lesser product that is flying on your cattle car multi-stop airline?"

The answer is a big hit in revenue and lower load factors. You can blame it on a problem in London all you want, but we know none of your guppies fly within a thousand miles of the place....Your 3rd quarter results are trending in exactly the wrong direction.

SWA is getting more desperate by the day..

JBG

SWA.. A Fuel Hedge anomaly.
OK then explain 33 years of profitability?

OK then explain 33 years of profitability?

Keep your focus on the past, that is the way we like it. Like a bunch of fat old guys sitting around,

"we really we're good back in high school, (good thing we had that ref (fuel hedge) in our pocket though..."

JBG

SWA - A fuel hedge anomaly.

Please cite for me five examples of "multi stop airline" that is any different from me flying United from Kansas City to Seattle...I have to change in Denver. FWIW - I could take a SWA nonstop to Seattle from here. Where are the "multi stops" that you refer to????
Keep your focus on the past, that is the way we like it. Like a bunch of fat old guys sitting around,
You mean like United pilots used to do? And like they WILL do, just as soon as they get two consecutive quarterly profits. How long are you willing to "work for less"?

And you haven't addressed my question about American? How are you gonna compete with them??

What does it cost to watch a movie on an SWA flight compared to JetBlue?

Well, JetBlue charges $5 for in-flight movies.

How about AA? How much do they charge for first class food?

Well, a first class ticket for BNA-LAX tomorrow costs $914, while the economy class ticket costs $309. So, I guess the first class food, drinks, and seat together cost $605 (you may allocate as you like).

They profited because of 9/11?! Southwest's operating income went from $1.022 billion in 2000 to $631 million in 2001 and $418 million in 2002. It sure doesn't sound like the attacks of 9/11 bolstered WN's business; rather, they had a healthy business that was able to remain profitable in spite of the post-9/11 industry depression.