Promoting a Proud Craft

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
On March 18, 19, 20th at the Dallas Convention Center the AMT Society will hold the first annual Maintenance Skills Competition. This competition will enable teams of AMTs go "head-to-head" in events that highlight just some of the responsibilities that today's AMTs possess. I encourage people who can attend this event to come and cheer on all the AMTs that will compete, especially teams from AA & AE.

The competition will start on Tuesday March 18th at 10:00 AM. If you have any questions contact me at [email protected].

Cool, I will bring my pencil. I have been doing maintenance for 20 years and I am damn good and fast at what I do. :lol: :lol:

Thanks Ken for promoting professionalism and high-lighting our craft.

Is there a place to view the daily schedule?
TWU Informer,

The Maintenance Skills Competition will start at 10:00 AM on March 18th, 2008 at the Dallas Convention Center. The competition will be held in a 80' X 50' area we are calling the "Hangar". While the different teams of AMTs are competing, (three at a time), we will also be holding the individual competition in the center of the "Hangar". There are currently 6 teams that will be competing and these teams should all be able to accomplish the 11 events that comprise the MSC on Tuesday the 18th. The individual competition may roll over into Wednesday the 19th. Awards will be presented on the 20th at the AMT Society booth. There will also be a raffle for an 11 draw Snap-On roll away tool box plus tickets on Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines. Any questions e-mail me at [email protected]

If you notice, the twu is not a supporting member of the AMTSociety, but AMFA is along with hundreds of fellow AA AMT's.

http://www.amtonline.com/AMTsociety/

Thanks Ken for promoting our profession.

AMFAMAN,

Thank you for the support. It is the AMT Society, and my goal to show the public first hand just some of the responsibilities that today's AMT possess. Allowing the public to "watch" in person right before their eyes some of the many tasks that are carried out every day and night in every type of weather and temperature imagineable will provide the public a better understanding and concept of what it takes to be an AMT and in turn provide a safe, airworthy aircraft.

More than 100 years of aviation have passed and due to the nature of our craft not being in the public's direct view our profession has been taken for granted. I feel the time has come to change this and bring attention back to the men and women who are the true "Faces Behind Safety" in aircraft maintenance. For these skilled men and women not only provide airworthy aircraft for our country but for the entire world. If there is an aircraft flying over head there is a team of professionals working behind the scenes to ensure it stays over head.

I'm a proud member of the TWU. A dues collection agency that doesn't promote anything. :lol: :lol:

... excepting the International and the AA management. :down:
Not understanding why this thread should be turned into an anti union/management thing. How about a "pro-AMT" thread? I am as frustrated with these entities as the next guy and proud of the profession I'm in as well. AS Ken said, the goal is to show the public first hand just some of the responsibilities that today's AMT possess. Let's not derail his goal with the usual anti-dribble.

Not understanding why this thread should be turned into an anti union/management thing. How about a "pro-AMT" thread? I am as frustrated with these entities as the next guy and proud of the profession I'm in as well. AS Ken said, the goal is to show the public first hand just some of the responsibilities that today's AMT possess. Let's not derail his goal with the usual anti-dribble.

Good point, DC - I'll desist.

If anyone would like to attend the Maintenance Skills Competition for free and help support the AA AMTs visit www.aviationindustryexpo.com and enter the priority code FPAMTC. See you there!

CONGRATULATIONS TO AA AMTS FOR COMPETING IN THE MSC!

TEAM AA placed third in the AMT Society's Maintenance Skills Competition and were awarded their plaques and prizes today.

There were 9 teams total and placing third is not an indication of the overall professionalism and knowledge that these four AMTs possess. The time scoring format used is simply a way of determining a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place award. ALL the AMTs and students competing are winners because the responsibilities are the same for all.

The MSC was exciting and all team members helped raise the awareness level of our proud craft & profession. I am proud of the way the AA AMTs presented themselves and through their efforts the standards by which we hold our craft and profession to have been elevated. I will post photos of the event soon.

Again, congratulations to a very professional team!

Back