Special Event

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
I have just finalized arrangements with the San Diego Aerospace Museum. The Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association, AMTA, has reserved Sunday, December 18th from 5:00 PM till 8:00 PM to have our event where we donate/dedicate the extremely talented artist Virginia Hess's bronze bust of Charles E. Taylor for all of the museum's future visitors to view and learn about the true "Unsung Hero of Aviation". I trust that you can all attend.
Two hotels in the area that are very nice are the Sheraton Harbor Island Resort, 1380 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego CA 92101; (619) 291-2900. The second is the Holiday Inn, 1355 harbor Drive, San Diego CA 92101; (619) 232-3861. The Holiday Inn and Sheraton are a stones throw away from the airport and close to downtown. The Holiday Inn is closer to restaurants and Seaport Village and the Embarcadero. (I suggest the Holiday Inn.)
I am still looking for a caterer and which type of refreshments to serve. But these are small details. The SDAM is very happy to accept this bust and further educate the public about Charlie and today's AMTs. I will update our web site, www.amtausa.com, to indicate the event. If you can attend could you please RSVP to help me plan for the head count so I can cater appropriately? If you can not attend now but your plans allow you to attend in the future you are still welcome to come and enjoy the evening. This event is free and open to all. Spouses and friends are welcome. Tell others who you think might be interested in attending. We will have this world class Aerospace Museum to our selves to walk around at our leisure.
With any luck the donation of this bust to the SDAM, as well as others to come, will open the eyes and minds of the public about a proud craft and the man who started it. If there are any questions I can be reached at (619) 395-6681. Or e-mailed at [email protected]. See you in 48 days! Sincerely, Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA

One of the guest speakers will be Howard R. DuFour, author of the biography on Charles E. Taylor. If you can attend the event you will hear not just about Mr. Taylor's contributions to aviation, but also about the man. Thank you for the positive feedback on this event. I hope that you can attend. Ken MacTiernan

The donation of the bronze bust of Charles E. Taylor to the San Diego Aerospace Museum on December 18th, 2005 was a great event thanks to Howard DuFour and Virginia Hess' speaches. The many people who attended, some of whom flew in from Florida, New York, Sacramento, Kansas City and Ohio, enjoyed the catered food from Peartree Catering.
The representatives from the F.A.A., AMT Magazine and PAMA as well as Frontier Airlines and National City, CA Girl Scout Troop 5075, and the many AMTA Members and guests all helped bring overdue recognition to a man history ALMOST forgot.
The AMTA plans on continuing to donate bronze busts of Mr. Taylor so the public can become more aware of a proud, skilled profession and the man who started it. The AMTA web site, www.amtausa.com, will be updated with photos from the event shortly. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all! Sincerely, Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA

Did Rasco show up for a photo-op, or has he learned his lesson?

Mark Rasco tried to come to the event. However, there was fog in SFO and he could not make it out in time. Mark has always been supportive of the AMTA and he has made several donations from his own pocket. The AMTA is NOT a union and I do not think that Mark used the AMTA's 2003 event as a photo op. Regardless of Mark's actions as Local 564 President he has supported the AMTA's goals of promoting our craft.