Promoting the Industry (Help Needed)

AOG-N-IT

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I have noticed a great deal of silence coming from our Federal Government of late...in regard to trying to promote the Airline Industry and the safety of air travel. The only thing I have seen of late is this. During the wee hours of the morning, when most normal folks are sleeping mind you. There has been a commercial run , encouraging Airline Travel. This commercial stars former Astronaut Jim Lovell of Apollo 13 fame. The commercial is nicely done..but it never airs on any of the national channels , or during a timeframe to reach more of the masses. Little to nothing has been said on this subject , since the resumption of flying in the post Sept. 11th enviroment. I feel that they have dropped the ball here....wouldn''t it help create a quicker return of ATSB funds and return tax paying americans to work....if they could do something to help stimulate air travel? Enough negative light has been shed during the news shows....it''s time to reach out with some positive Public Service Announcements

The public isn't going to be swayed by public service announcements.

The largest factor depressing air travel right now is economic -- no amount of assurance regarding safety is going to change that.

The second largest factor is the hassle factor. There might be some benefit to getting the word out about improvements in that area -- on the other hand there are still enormous hassles to be had and a great deal of room for improvement. In the meantime the airlines have seen fit to counteract the TSA's improvements in streamlining security hassles by introducing such customer friendly schemes as use it lose it and no stand-by (both of which also have serious negative economic impacts as well.)

I think the government has better places to spend the money. A serious DOJ investigation into pricing would be a good place to start -- if the airlines can't find the backbone to fix it themselves maybe uncle sam can help them see the light.

Tom , I think the public can be swayed...and I'm sure that there are thousands of ad and marketing firms that bank on that very fact everyday. I agree with you about the pricing structures. The numbers of different amounts that can be asked for..for the same ticket from A to B is pure insanity. People can be swayed..but you don't do it by insulting them openly with these varities of fare prices. I'm not suggesting an Aeroflot Society..and I'm sure you aren't either..but you are correct that some corrections need to take place. I don't see positive promotion of our industry as a waste at all...God knows money is wasted on lessor issues everyday. I agree with you in regard to stressing the ease of hassle..that in itself is a positive thing....and a great place to start. I also agree that are problems are economic...and I'm affraid that W is showing signs of falling into the same trap his father did in 1992. (It's the Economy Stupid!!) For certain...we need to prosecute the war on terrorism by every available means...and we do need to be making preventative moves against vogue nations like Iraq , that lack the courage to do evil things on thier own/ directly , I feel certain that they would have no problems handing out weapons to alike minded people to use against us. However, somewhere in there..room has to be made to focus on the business of business.

I think we mostly agree :) although I stand by my opinion that the economic issues are more serious than you credit.

Any spots focused on reduced hassle would be a lot more effective if improvements being made by the TSA weren't being so aggressively undercut by the airlines...

I agree travel needs to be made a little more hassle free to attract the general public...our recalculation of fares..also rules and restrictions are overwhelming..and change fee, although there is a need $100 per tkt is a little steep..especially if ur looking to attract a family of five or six passengers. I understand we are a business, but on some level we need to find a customer friendly solution. US needs to lighten up a bit...our schedule changes alone could overwhelm someone...they've not been pretty.

Latest posts