PSA 1771

Hard to believe that it has been so long. I remember the shock when first learning of the crash, then utter revulsion the next morning when the news broke about the suspected cause.
[/quote]

They move the killer to LAX rather than fire him when they should have.

Nikki, Doug's beautiful wife who also worked for PSA and who had lost her brother Don in the only other PSA crash, is sadly gone also.
Nikki passed away from cancer a couple of years ago.

It is hard to believe it's been 20 years. My airline, Piedmont, was also in the midst of being absorbed by USAir so it hit us fairly close to home.

The government reacted in a totally nonsensical manner. Here's the quote from the Wikipedia article on the tragedy:

Consequences

Several federal laws were passed after the crash, including a law that required "immediate seizure of all airline employee credentials" after termination from an airline position. A policy was also put into place stipulating that all airline flight crew were to be subject to the same security measures as passengers.

So, an ex-ground staff employee used his credentials to go through the security-bypass door and proceeded to kill dozens of innocent people, including the air crew staff.

The government solution was to require those in the category of the employee victims (and who have their hands on the controls of the airplane) to now be security screened like passengers.

The ground employees still get to used the security-bypass.

ONLY for a government bureaucracy can this solution make any sense.

Looking at the PSA memorial link.......Why are there so many crew on 182 compared to the 1771? Commuting?

God bless their families at this time of rememberance.

i think flt 182 was a 727 heading to san when it collided with a private plane and killed all on board and may be it had a dead heading crews i dont know though