Question for Chip

I heard two weird rumors from crew scheduling.

1- Over the holidays 150 flights had to be cancelled due to pilot's calling off.

2- When the A330 flight compartment door mode is being done the company is paying the pilots 80 hours of flight pay while the aircraft is down and they are not flying.

US is currently under flying its fleet to better match capcity with demand. The intent is to reduce costs and to try and maximize revenue by increasing load factor.

Current bankruptcy lease agreements and the hub optimization business plan requires about 280 aircraft, thus the agreement to maintain the 279 aircraft fleet. In addition, the ALPA modified restructuring agreement requires a minimum scheduled block hours of 936,900.

In regard to pilot staffing, there are a number of issues that enter into this equation such as management pilots, instructors, training, vacation, sick time, LTD, etc.

Many other posters have provided other valid points, but just like other employee groups pilots are being cut to the bone.

In my opinion, with the infrastructure in place and increased contractual productivity, when the industry begins to recover, which is not expected to occur until the second quarter of 2004, US will be positioned to cost effectively grow to take advantage of the potential industry rebound.

Chip

On 1/11/2003 11:32:21 PM chipmunn wrote:

US Airways Pension Percentage by Employee Group:

ALPA - 72%
IAM - 15%
AFA - 9%
Management/other - 4%

All pensions are at risk, not just ALPA's, but it is clear from the percentages above what employee group requires the greatest restoration funding.

Q. How many hrs can be flown according to faa regulations(monthly)?
A. Domestically 1000 hours per year or an average of 83.3 per month.

Q. How many hrs does a usairways pilot who holds a line fly a month (approx)?
A. Approximately 80, but most pilots seek full pay of 85 pay hours per month, whether hard and/or soft time combined.

Chip
----------------
chip,
there is a post on UA BOARD with a request from company for pilots to fly 92 hrs per month up from 85..
if faa has 1000 hrs ..92 per month = 1104..or the 85 to seek full pay still is over 1000....(1020)

If you want radical, I'll give it a try:

The average US Employee works a 40 hour work week X 52 weeks a year or 2080 hours. Minus their vacation average of 2 weeks per the same year; that number comes up to 2000 hours per employee spent on the job.

Since the Federal Aviation Regulations, FARs, limit Pilots working for the Major Air Carriers to 1000 FLIGHT HOURS per year with a career that ends at age 60; put the pilots on salary according to:
1) seniority bands; and,
2) the size of the aircraft; and,
3) the seat position occupied; and,
4) a 2000 hour service requirement.

Require that time not spent in the air be spent on the ground in some facet of the operation of the airline until the 2000 hour mark was met: on the job. The flight time plus the extra 1000 hours equals the wage. Justifying a $300,000.00 wage given that kind of total time spent on the job would be simple.

I know that flight time is not inclusive of pre-departure, overnight, commuting and return time; but, like has been said by many professing to be pilots: you choose the job, it don't choose you.

OBTW, what if we did the same for Flight Attendants?

Pilots can work or manage the ramp while the Flight Attendants can work the ticket counters or the gates.

[blockquote]
----------------

ALPA - 72%
IAM - 15%
AFA - 9%
Management/other - 4%

All pensions are at risk, not just ALPA's, but it is clear from the percentages above what employee group requires the greatest restoration funding.

Q. How many pilots after cuts? I believe 3700 was the number.
A. Dependent on voluntary leaves, military reserve activations, etc., I believe just less than 3,900.

A. Approximately 80, but most pilots seek full pay of 85 pay hours per month, whether hard and/or soft time combined.

Chip

----------------
[/blockquote]
chip,
there is a post on UA BOARD with a request from company for pilots to fly 92 hrs per month up from 85..
if faa has 1000 hrs ..92 per month = 1104..or the 85 to seek full pay still is over 1000....(1020)

"Radical" is not exactly what I'd call it. How about "uninformed" or "ignorant of the facts" or "don't understand what my job is" or how about "don't judge me till you've walked a mile in my moccasons".

How would you like it if I said "no more TV or card playing in the break room".

Get real dude.

A320 Driver

ALPA - 72%
IAM - 15%
AFA - 9%
Management/other - 4%

Chip
----------------
chip,

If you want radical, I'll give it a try:

The average US Employee works a 40 hour work week X 52 weeks a year or 2080 hours. Minus their vacation average of 2 weeks per the same year; that number comes up to 2000 hours per employee spent on the job.

Since the Federal Aviation Regulations, FARs, limit Pilots working for the Major Air Carriers to 1000 FLIGHT HOURS per year with a career that ends at age 60; put the pilots on salary according to:
1) seniority bands; and,
2) the size of the aircraft; and,
3) the seat position occupied; and,
4) a 2000 hour service requirement.

Require that time not spent in the air be spent on the ground in some facet of the operation of the airline until the 2000 hour mark was met: on the job. The flight time plus the extra 1000 hours equals the wage. Justifying a $300,000.00 wage given that kind of total time spent on the job would be simple.

I know that flight time is not inclusive of pre-departure, overnight, commuting and return time; but, like has been said by many professing to be pilots: you choose the job, it don't choose you.

OBTW, what if we did the same for Flight Attendants?

Pilots can work or manage the ramp while the Flight Attendants can work the ticket counters or the gates. Given Us' new structure, you could kill a 757 trip that was underbooked and fill it with an RJ, the crews would already be at the airport--working, so finding someone to staff or fly the thing would be no problem. Since the Pilots and F/As are on salary, scrubbing the trip just means a few more days at the airport but no loss in pay.

pilots can work or manage the ramp while the Flight Attendants can work the ticket counters or the gates. Given Us' new structure, you could kill a 757 trip that was underbooked and fill it with an RJ, the crews would already be at the airport--working, so finding someone to staff or fly the thing would be no problem. Since the Pilots and F/As are on salary, scrubbing the trip just means a few more days at the airport but no loss in pay.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Sounds like a good idea. All pilots and flight attendents will be recalled, and since we are loading our own baggage and boarding our own planes we no longer have a need for the ramp or gate personnel. Due to FAA duty restrictions and recurrent training requirments on flight crews U will have to hire up all the other furloughed pilots and flight attendents from the other airlines as well.

Sounds good. The airline will be 100% staffed by Mechanics, Flight Attendents, and Pilots!!! I like it.

we could also set up a program for all the non FAA certified ex-employees (Ramp, and gate) and let them return after they gained the experience needed to fly or work on aircraft. It only takes about 8 to 10 years to gain the training and experience required to be a pilot. I do not know the time required for mechanic except that it is at least 2 years of school for an A&P rating.

So when should I expect recall? I should probably start hitting the 737 books and get caught up on re-memorizing my V-Speed, Limitations, and Emergency procedures.....Don't want to come into class the first day behind.

Latest posts