Question for West Flight Attendants

Technically all beverage services on mainline flights are supposed to be a cup.

US Airways Shuttle flights are unopened can and cup of ice.

Almost every EMBFA flight gets a Shuttle service. It makes the beverage service go quicker, and keeps it in line with meals. I hate getting a meal and then waiting for ages for the beverage cart. It also gives people the option of saving it for later in the flight if they don't feel like drinking it then. The party cups are a whole can anyway. You have your ninnys who act like it's coming from their own pantry *cough*CLT* who say people who don't want the can are stuck with it for the flight... No, since the service is completed quicker you are on your first pick-up much sooner, where they can dispose of the can if they like.

An efficient crew's beverage cart makes it to the galley only shortly after the meal cart, where a trash cart (with a carrier for cans on top) is already set up and ready to go with a coffee tea and water cart right behind it. Customers should not have to sit with refuse in front of them or have an extended period of time between their meal, drink, and coffee if they wish.

I never mix drinks, I know when I'm boozin I hate to have a weak drink made for me by someone who doesn't drink. I give two minis, a cup, and the can of mixer, half poured if in First or Envoy. Are we supposed to mix them in First? I'm interested in what the customers prefer.
I like the way you do your service, sounds very efficient. I prefer having the can in both coach and first. I also prefer to be given two minis with the can of mixer to mix the drink to desired strength, which like you, enjoy it on the stronger side. I flew delta Business to CDG where the FA mixed the drinks very weak. It was obvious she was not a professional drinker. I asked her to bring the minis instead. From what I see in First, most prefer to simply be given the can, but would enjoy real glassware.

When I do a trans-con service, we give a full beverage can with snacks, then coffee & water with the buy on board and then a cup service before landing. Now I've heard from other west f/a's that the east does it differently. A full beverage can with the buy on board and never comes out again. Is this true?

Why can’t we all just follow the procedures as they are written and posted? Why is it so hard for us to follow instructions?

3.3.4Envoy Class Tips and Reminders.
•Closet Doors - All closet doors are to remain closed, except when retrieving or stowing items.
•Glass vs. Can - All beverages (except beer) are to be served by the glass (unless customer requests the can).
•Liquor Cart/Carriers - The liquor cart/carriers may not be opened for any reason while on the ground. They are bonded.
•Ovens (A330-300) - Entrées are loaded into the ovens after take-off. Ensure that all leftover entrées are returned to the meal carts before landing.
•Pre-departure Beverages - Although Champagne/sparkling wine, orange juice and Mimosas are presented on the tray, requests for other non-alcoholic beverages are to be accommodated.

There is no specific reference to minis in the Envoy section of the Transatlantic Manual.

Find the CBS Message we got this past spring. Cocktails in Envoy Class are to be Pre Poured in the galley then presented to the customer. When you got to a nice resturant or any resturant for that matter, are you presented the Whole can to pour your drink..I think Not!! :rolleyes:

Hey Puddin.

Since you don't use glasses at home, I was wondering do you even give the cup? Or do you just give them a can?

:rolleyes:

It would be nice to follow procedure if "procedure" always made sense. When YOU are the one on the line you most often have the better knowledge of what works and what doesn't. :rolleyes: To use those giant cups on a very quick express service is really not necessary. Not to mention not very steady on the 9-hole tray. Again I must ask why the company didn't keep the East cup which was smaller. As cost conscious as this company is I'm surprised they don't get three cups out of ONE can. :lol: It is not the end all though. As far as west coast service YES you will in fact find MANY east crews who do ONE beverage transcon push pull with the meal. They will NOT do the coffee service after BOB or an arrival beverage unless the natives are really getting restless. It is ABSOLUTELY true.
Now a question for a west f/a to answer. While our procedures are different though not always followed, I don't understand the west giving coffee/water with the meal. I'd rather a cold beverage as would the majority I'm sure. Just curious but what was the reasoning behind serving the beverage first then going through with coffee/water and the BOB? It reminds me of senior citizens that want a coffee with their fish sandwich. Maybe the focus group we have now will find out the science to the best beverage service. It's pretty silly actually. The resources we use to provide so very little. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to follow procedure if "procedure" always made sense. When YOU are the one on the you most often have the better knowledge of what works and what doesn't. :rolleyes: To use those giant cups on a very quick express service is really not necessary. Not to mention not very steady on the 9-hole tray. Again I must ask why the company didn't keep the East cup which was smaller. As cost conscious as this company is I'm surprised they don't get three cups out of ONE can. :lol: It is not the end all though. As far as west coast service YES you will in fact find MANY east crews who do ONE beverage transcon push pull with the meal. They will NOT do the coffee service after BOB or an arrival beverage unless the natives are really getting restless. It is ABSOLUTELY true.
Now a question for a west f/a to answer. While our procedures are different though not always followed, I don't understand the west giving coffee/water with the meal. I'd rather a cold beverage as would the majority I'm sure. Just curious but what was the reasoning behind serving the beverage first then going through with coffee/water and the BOB? It reminds me of senior citizens that want a coffee with their fish sandwich. Maybe the focus group we have now will find out the science to the best beverage service. It's pretty silly actually. The resources we use to provide so very little. :rolleyes:

LOL, as it is people in the back of the plane attack me over BOB when they know it will be onboard, because they know it will be sold out by the time I get to them. I can't imagine doing an entire beverage service and telling them we will be back through with BOB on the second service. =) It would just work them up into a frenzy and then to not have enough - uhh no thanks.

Well the West way of doing things for beverage service is very efficient and the passengers like it...It is no way amateur and provides a good product to our passengers who pay good money to be taken care of.

On transcon flights or anything over 2hrs with BOB, we start off with a full beverage service, Full can and tidbits, followed by a trash service with empty drawers to collect cans, and if you dump all items out of the cup and stack it makes for great trash management.
Our BOB service has both FAs one on each side one selling BOB, the other offering Water and Coffee. If I am working B, though I will set up a full beverage cart w/ice for the C FA to offer refills rather than telling the passenger that we will bring it back. This way, we take care of their needs and satisfy their beverage/meal choice.
Once this is completed, we go through again with another trash service, and an hour-hour half will go out and do a full beverage service by pouring.
If you fill the cups or as you Easties call it Party cups with appropriate ice, not skimping, you can get two full cups of beverage out of one can of soda.

It has worked for those of us over on the West side of the operations, and we do place the ice bin on top that is lined with ICE, and it has NEVER fallen off!

It amazes me when I fly on East metal and see some of the odd configurations of putting ice on top...two ice bags just sitting on top of the cart in no bin, no wonder why you dont like the ice on top, because you dont know how to set it up properly! Guess us Westies over at Amateur West need to come out and show you a thing or two!

Oh and how classy that wash tub of ice with the big wet bag looks. You'll find most don't do it and NEVER will. I think the majority have spoken and you'll see the ice in drawers soon. Said to be a possibility but it will happen. The way they want the cart set up makes you look like two peddlers pushing your goods for sale. It's cluttered and messy. My goodness, snacks hanging off of wine bottles at your knees with no place to even set a cup. It's a joke and you will see more of "how it's done" as we pass through PHX and LAS more and more often. I like some west ideas but the cart and hot beverages with meals is not two of them.

Well the West way of doing things for beverage service is very efficient and the passengers like it...It is no way amateur and provides a good product to our passengers who pay good money to be taken care of.

On transcon flights or anything over 2hrs with BOB, we start off with a full beverage service, Full can and tidbits, followed by a trash service with empty drawers to collect cans, and if you dump all items out of the cup and stack it makes for great trash management.
Our BOB service has both FAs one on each side one selling BOB, the other offering Water and Coffee. If I am working B, though I will set up a full beverage cart w/ice for the C FA to offer refills rather than telling the passenger that we will bring it back. This way, we take care of their needs and satisfy their beverage/meal choice.
Once this is completed, we go through again with another trash service, and an hour-hour half will go out and do a full beverage service by pouring.
If you fill the cups or as you Easties call it Party cups with appropriate ice, not skimping, you can get two full cups of beverage out of one can of soda.

It has worked for those of us over on the West side of the operations, and we do place the ice bin on top that is lined with ICE, and it has NEVER fallen off!

It amazes me when I fly on East metal and see some of the odd configurations of putting ice on top...two ice bags just sitting on top of the cart in no bin, no wonder why you dont like the ice on top, because you dont know how to set it up properly! Guess us Westies over at Amateur West need to come out and show you a thing or two!

Wait, you said "If I am working B, though I will set up a full beverage cart w/ice" which I take to mean this not the WEST way of doing things, but your own way. Sorta goes against the part where you said "the West way of doing things for beverage service is very efficient".

The passengers like it because it is what they are use to or they don't know what your service flow is.

Same for the East passengers that know how the service flow goes and hence the reason they would hound you for meals. They know that we rarely have enough meals to reach the AFT cabin. They know we serve the meals with the first beverage service. Not doing so will result in everybody trying to place their oder to get the jump on the person behind them.

I am not saying one way is better then the other. I am saying that the customers for eash side of this airline have expectations that match the service standard offered by that airline.

Trash management, we have been doing that for years. IT can at times be challenging at meal times because of the mass amount of fast food containers of various shapes and sizes. Terminology is what I think most people are getting hung up on. Recycling vs. trash management.

I honestly do not understand the entire cart issue. Teach one way of setting it up so new hires have a standard way and a guide to follow if they find themselves on a plane with all new hires and let the "B" decide on the plane the way they want to set it up (This is how it is being done now). As long as the cart is put back the way catering needs it to be I do not see an issue. It does not matter to the passenger how a cart is set-up, they just want the service they think they are going to get.

Trash management...huh :blink: Here is a novel idea. Start investing in what a lot of other airlines have, trash compactors. Even some of the United 737's. The problem will only get worse.
View attachment 6767

Back