etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
RECIPROCAL JUMPSEAT POLICIES AND PROCEDURES

The Transition Agreement between the Flight Attendants in the
service of US Airways and America West and the Company secured
reciprocal cabin jumpseat privileges for each Flight Attendant
work group on each others flights/aircraft. The Reciprocal cabin
jumpseat privileges will become effective March 1, 2006.

This ELINE contains links to two documents that explain the
policy in detail to each of the two Flight Attendant work
groups. The documents are the revised Jumpseat Procedures
contained in the US Airways Flight Attendant Policies and
Procedures Manual (East) and the revised Inflight Operations
Manual Bulletin for America West.

-- Revised US Airways Policy and Procedures:
(http://www.afausairways.org/jumpseat/js_policy.pdf)

-- Revised America West Inflight Operations Manual:
(http://www.afausairways.org/jumpseat/amw_jspolicy.pdf)

In general the boarding priority for each work group will be as
follows:

-- US Airways Flight Attendants are able to jumpseat on America
West operated aircraft immediately after all formerly AWA Flight
Attendants have been accommodated. Boarding priority will be
based on a first come, first serve basis. Once all passengers
(revenue and non-revenue) are boarded, jumpseaters may occupy a
passenger seat in lieu of the cabin jumpseat.

-- Former AWA Flight Attendants are able to jumpseat on US
Airways operated aircraft immediately after all US Airways East
Flight Attendants are accommodated. Boarding priority will be
based on the Company hire date as noted on the Flight
Attendant's Company ID Badge.

Please familiarize yourselves with each policy in order to avoid
any confusion. There are some key points to remember:

-- Current contract language and practices at each airline have
not been altered.
-- Flight Attendants occupying the cabin jumpseat on US Airways
flights can not be removed for weight and balance restrictions.
-- Flight attendants occupying the cabin jumpseat on America
West flights can be removed for weight and balance restrictions
-- Although the process on America West is listed as first
come/first serve there is a slight twist to it. Cabin jumpseat
authorization is given no sooner than one hour prior and no
later than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. In cases of
a tie between two or more Flight Attendants or arrival at the
gate prior to one hour before scheduled departure seniority
(SID) would prevail.
-- America West Flight attendants do not have exclusivity to the
cabin jumpseat on America West Flights. Inflight management,
pilots and mechanics are allowed cabin jumpseat privileges on
America West flights at a boarding priority below both America
West and US Airways Flight attendants
-- US Airways Flight Attendants do have exclusivity to the cabin
jumpseat on US Airways flights. Only US Airways Flight
Attendants, Mid Atlantic Flight Attendants, Flight Attendant
Trainees or America West Flight Attendants are permitted to
occupy the cabin jumpseat on US Airways flights.

A letter from Senior Vice President of Customer Service, Anthony
V. Mule, is also linked below. The letter gives a general
outline of the reciprocal cabin jumpseat boarding priorities and
procedures. The Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) have
also been provided with the procedures for each Flight Attendant
workgroup and airline. Mr. Mule's letter includes both a
computer reference for the CSR to use if he/she is unable to
process the jumpseat authorization and a phone number for the
CSR to reach the System Support Center for further direction. If
there is a problem obtaining the cabin jumpseat, Flight
Attendants are requested not to call the System Support Center
directly but rather request the CSR to call. For your reference
the System Support Center phone number is (800) 741-0329.

-- Anthony V. Mule letter
(http://www.afausairways.org/jumpseat/mule_ltr.doc)

Copies of the policies will be provided in the crew rooms. I
would suggest you carry the policies and Mr. Mule's letter with
you.

Thank You

Mike Flores, President
The US Airways Master Executive Council

-- Flight Attendants occupying the cabin jumpseat on US Airways
flights can not be removed for weight and balance restrictions.

For a second there I thought US was actually going to give paying passengers priority.

Glad to see I was wrong. :rolleyes:

For a second there I thought US was actually going to give paying passengers priority.

I just starting reading this new policy, was surprised to see that AWA allows employees other then f/a's to occupy a f/a jumpseat. I thought it was an FAA requirement that only f/a's can occupy a f/a jumpseat. Interesting.

I just starting reading this new policy, was surprised to see that AWA allows employees other then f/a's to occupy a f/a jumpseat. I thought it was an FAA requirement that only f/a's can occupy a f/a jumpseat. Interesting.

This is ome where I hope it stays the East way, but as long as the f/a's come first, I can live with that.

Seeing as we will probably have SOME kind of first come first serve, I hope we do NOT allow weight restrictions for the jumpseats as this is one way that is easy foe commuters to get to work.

This is ome where I hope it stays the East way, but as long as the f/a's come first, I can live with that.

Seeing as we will probably have SOME kind of first come first serve, I hope we do NOT allow weight restrictions for the jumpseats as this is one way that is easy foe commuters to get to work.
East j/s policy clearly states a f/a cannot be removed from the j/s for weight and balance.

Well guy...the reason we can not be bumped for wt/bal is the wt is already accounted for in the a/c gross wt. It has nothing to do with the paying pax.

Well guy...the reason we can not be bumped for wt/bal is the wt is already accounted for in the a/c gross wt. It has nothing to do with the paying pax.

You've never flown in a Dash 8 have you?
Ever been to upstate New York?, weight restrictions happen even on the big birds.
Not to put you down but if you are an F/A I don't expect you to understand.
Paying pax and/or bags are frequently removed to satisfy weight and/or balance requirements.

The reason I am making this an issue is because in the west jump seaters can be pulled to make weight while on east it is not allowed. This brings up the old argument over whether an F/A should live at their base. I think they should be free to live wherever. However if a flight is weight restricted than the company pulls off bags and pax costing money and angry passengers.

The first to come off should never be customers.

Speaking for mainline only, since I don't know about the exress operators.....

Jumpseaters, both cockpit & F/A, are included in the gross weight because they're added in = just like a passenger. The only difference is where they sit. In the cockpit or on the F/A jumpseat (as in the case of a full flight), and the "balance" part of the weight & balance is figured with them seated on those specific seats. If there's open seats in the cabin, they're figured as just another passenger for balance purposes.

The weight of jumpseat riders is always added into the total just like another passenger - only the working crew is included in the aircraft's basic operating weight (the "empty" weight of the aircraft).

Now for the exception to "weight & balance" language in the East J/S policy (and for the 737 only since I haven't flown the other current fleet types).

If we're expected to be very close to the maximum T/O weight, we get one of two notices on our flight release - what I lovingly call "the asterick box" because it is surrounded by astericks to make it stand out. This can contain the maximum number of people that we can board, not counting the working crew but including J/S riders. On the 737, my experience (so far) has been that it is always the maximum number of passenger seats - 126 on the -300 and 144 on the -400. I guess it's possible that a limit could be less than the seating capacity, but given where we fly the 737 these days I've never seen it.

The exception in the J/S policy allows the captain to offset the extra weight of J/S riders when seating capacity is capped by "the asterick box". If necessary, this is accomplished by burning enough extra fuel during the taxi to the runway to offset the extra weight of the J/S riders if required. Since the actual gross weight is usually somewhat less than what was anticipated when the "asterick box" was issued, the extra weight of the J/S riders rarely poses a problem.

So what the East policy basically does is preserve the Captain's status as the final arbitor of whether someone rides the J/S or not - it removes the agents from the equation and leaves the decision in his/her hands.

Jim

Since the a/c cabin is the f/a's work place I do feel that the j/s going to f/a's first is only fair. I see no problem with any other airline employee taking an extra j/s if it is empty for we brief and use ABP's (able bodied passengers) in the event of an emergency/evacuation anyway. I'm sure (hopefully) an employee would be more intent on knowing how the exit operated than the usual passenger. That policy being extended to the east side would not even pose a problem to the f/a's.

Wrong it adds to the standard operating weight of the air craft just like the cockpit jumpseat.The numbers still have to be adjusted not to exceed ZFW or MTW or Landing weight. You can change the burn off. But central load planning is reluctant do this.We sometimes have to add the kids we have onboard.I liked it better when we did our own W/B in each station with contract workers I doubt we will see this again

Stop f**KN complaining and be happy you got to ride the jumpseat. Do you guys always have to find something wrong

at jetblue airways, every jetblue employee can ride the cabin j/s. from a ramper to even a pilot. they have a very good open door policy when it come to cabin jumpseat authority (cja). however, the flight attendants always have presedence for the cabin jumpseat. point being, get as many nonrevs and employees on as possible. wow! what a novel idea!
as for our jumpseats at the east. i wanted to let our west counter parts know how many j/s are available to ride on our east a/c.
A330=5,total j/s=14
767=2intl & 3domestic(sometimes),total j/s=7
757=3,total j/s=6
A321=3,total j/s=6
A320/319=2,total j/s=5
737-300/400=1,total j/s=4
hope this helps . if i messed it up someone please correct me but i am sure i got right (i think).

(hold on . i messed up. the 757 and the A321 each have a total of 7 jumpseats on board)

i also must note that the A320 & 319'S have 2 spare j/s except when there is a lod/o onboard. then only 1 j/s is available to a nonrevving f/a. so plan accordingly.

-- US Airways Flight Attendants do have exclusivity to the cabin
jumpseat on US Airways flights. Only US Airways Flight
Attendants, Mid Atlantic Flight Attendants, Flight Attendant
Trainees or America West Flight Attendants are permitted to
occupy the cabin jumpseat on US Airways flights.

US Airways East F/As dont even seem to know this and have tried to deny MAA F/As jumpseats, unaware that they are/were mainline. Alot of FAs still dont even know what MAA is/was.

Will they have an extra jumpseat on the E190? The company ordered the E170 without the third jumpseat which would have been available to all US FAs. Hope they think right and keep it on the 90.

[quote name='flyingcat' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:07 AM' .
Not to put you down but if you are an F/A I don't expect you to understand.
The reason I am making this an issue is because in the west jump seaters can be pulled to make weight while on east it is not allowed. This brings up the old argument over whether an F/A should live at their base. I think they should be free to live wherever. However if a flight is weight restricted than the company pulls off bags and pax costing money and angry passengers.

Thanks for not putting us down, remember, we are the ones who get your soda's and stuff because you can't open a can. If I am correct, cockpit J/S's can't be bumped either. So, if we are going to bump F/A's, then we are going to bump pilots. Just keep it on the same page. I can't imagine having a pilot on my jumpseat, especially when I can't ride his. Maybe we need to change that rule also. Just to play fair.