Railroad Union Strike Threat Kneecapped by Biden

You again seem to have a hard time understanding what I posted to you. The TWU was NOT decertified, they willingly walked away from that group.

Maybe this will help you understand although because you have a deep hatred for the three letters T.W and U, I’m sure you’ll twist this.

If a business opens up a store in a particular location and after some time they aren’t making money in that neighborhood don’t you think after awhile it’s time to close that store? Doesn’t mean the business isn’t sound just that they made a mistake being in a neighborhood where things didn’t work out.
Whatever....

Since it is such a rare event, there's apparent no generally accepted term for it.

Would you prefer something more caustic and inflammatory like 'abandoning its members' or 'giving up its responsibilities' ??

Whatever....

Since it is such a rare event, there's apparent no generally accepted term for it.

Would you prefer something more caustic and inflammatory like 'abandoning its members' or 'giving up its responsibilities' ??

Hilarious how you always think Unions trap people in and yet when one is asked to walk away and complies you now call it abandoning its members or giving up its responsibilities.

You’re just one of those people who can’t be pleased no matter what can you?

“ January 28, 2019

Dear Local 721 member,

The leadership of Local 721 has requested to be disaffiliated from the Transport Workers Union of America (TWU). Their request has been fulfilled. You are no longer represented by the TWU of America.”

Not totally. Agency fee payers pay for certain aspects of the contract.
Wrong. They pay what’s germane to the contract. By law you must represent them in the grievance process etc.

And that’s a closed shop. I’m talking in an open shop they pay NOTHING and you must represent them in the grievance process.

Hilarious how you always think Unions trap people in and yet when one is asked to walk away and complies you now call it abandoning its members or giving up its responsibilities.

You’re just one of those people who can’t be pleased no matter what can you?

“ January 28, 2019

Dear Local 721 member,

The leadership of Local 721 has requested to be disaffiliated from the Transport Workers Union of America (TWU). Their request has been fulfilled. You are no longer represented by the TWU of America.”
If that's the letter, it claims the local quit the TWU. You said the TWU walked away from that group.

So which is it?

I've never said unions trap people.

Its the RLA that traps airline and railroad workers by forcing compulsory dues and having representation in perpetuity.

I'd be less outspoken on closed shops if unions were recertified every couple years. The bar to getting a recertification cote via NLRB or NMB is intentionally difficult to trigger.

If that's the letter, it claims the local quit the TWU. You said the TWU walked away from that group.

So which is it?

Its the RLA that traps airline and railroad workers by forcing compulsory dues and having representation in perpetuity.

I'd be less outspoken on closed shops if unions were recertified every couple years. The bar to getting a recertification cote via NLRB or NMB is intentionally difficult to trigger.
It doesn’t force compulsory dues. It gives the unions the ability to negotiate a closed shop, it’s not an automatic thing.

The company and the union both have to agree to make it a closed shop.

Once again you clearly don’t understand how it works.

And when a person is hired on it’s clearly explained to them if it’s a closed shop. They can choose not to take the job. No one is forced. And they can become an Agency Fee Payor.

So which is it?

It’s just as the letter said. It’s not as controversial as you think. That Group wanted to go with the UAW who represents far more Vegas workers than the TWU so the TWU IEC agreed to the request. There were only about 500 members total.

And I never minded being in a closed shop particularly since it was explained to me when I hired in and the TWU was there before even my Mother was born.

20+ posts in, and y'all have made it about everything except Biden's failure to advocate for the unions, and basically giving management the contract they wanted,

Not that I mind seeing management getting their way, but I would think you guys on the union side might have had more to say other than deflect, deflect, deflect....

Whatever, bigot. I never said there would be a strike, and you'll be hard-pressed to find where I ever said that self-help for either party was going to be an option.

But there were other options that Biden could have taken.

Congress could have maintained the status quo and ordered parties back to the table.

Biden could be using his bully pulpit to call for elimination of the Railway Labor Act entirely and let unions engage in self-help without Congressional intervention.

Calling for the PEB and imposing a settlement was going nuclear. That's not leadership, it's taking the easy way out.

Whatever, bigot. I never said there would be a strike, and you'll be hard-pressed to find where I ever said that self-help for either party was going to be an option.

Congress could have maintained the status quo and ordered parties back to the table.

Biden could be using his bully pulpit to call for elimination of the Railway Labor Act entirely and let unions engage in self-help without Congressional intervention.

Calling for the PEB and imposing a settlement was going nuclear. That's not leadership, it's taking the easy way out.
No such provisions for Biden to order a status quo. PEB already occurred.

Stop making things up.

20+ posts in, and y'all have made it about everything except Biden's failure to advocate for the unions, and basically giving management the contract they wanted,

Not that I mind seeing management getting their way, but I would think you guys on the union side might have had more to say other than deflect, deflect, deflect....

The Biden Administration did not fail to advocate for the Unions. His PEB did gain improvements to what the Railroads were originally offering. They just didn’t get everything the Members wanted and then unfortunately forced the terms on them due to the overwhelming National Interest of commerce.

If you read the Railroads point system (I have) you’d know that it’s not exactly like they can’t take any time off at all. The issue was guaranteed paid sick days like we have in the Airlines.

And BTW no I didn’t like at all that a contract was imposed on them but I understand why it’s done and honestly the members also likely voted overwhelmingly no because they knew they would never be allowed to strike anyway.

You’ll never see the RLA fall. This Country will never allow that. You do understand the ramifications if the Airlines or the Railroads were ever allowed to strike on a mass scale right?

Picture when you couldn’t find toilet paper to wipe your tushy and needed to use a sponge. Now picture that with food. No way Jose.

You do understand the ramifications if the Airlines or the Railroads were ever allowed to strike on a mass scale right?

For starters, there'd be a lot more good faith bargaining early on with the threat of self-help.

That level of pressure certainly works for the Longshoremen.