Railroad Union Strike Threat Kneecapped by Biden

For starters, there'd be a lot more good faith bargaining early on with the threat of self-help.

That level of pressure certainly works for the Longshoremen.
Longshoreman aren’t under the RLA. They are under the NLRA.

Unionized workers under the NLRA are free to strike when their CBS expires. CBAs under the RLA don’t expire, they become amendable.

Compare apples to apples, not oranges.

Thanks for proving my point. Without the Railway Labor Act, you might actually have more pressure on both sides to get a contract settled.

With the Act,, you simply drag things out and out and out until a third party steps in and hopefully splits the difference.

Then again, maybe those of you covered under the RLA like that sense of never having to be decisive. You get all the benefits of being in a union, and none of the risk of having to actually walk out on principle.

Reactions: Kev3188
Thanks for proving my point. Without the Railway Labor Act, you might actually have more pressure on both sides to get a contract settled.

With the Act,, you simply drag things out and out and out until a third party steps in and hopefully splits the difference.

Then again, maybe those of you covered under the RLA like that sense of never having to be decisive. You get all the benefits of being in a union, and none of the risk of having to actually walk out on principle.

Yes we just love being held up for years and years trying to reach a new agreement. Personally speaking for myself I’d love to have the ability to strike. But the RLA has been in place for 88 years now so I doubt it’s going to be changed anytime soon.

For starters, there'd be a lot more good faith bargaining early on with the threat of self-help.

That level of pressure certainly works for the Longshoremen.

Many times in life you need to learn to accept the House you live in. And that house has stood for 88 years now.

One cannot claim to be a "labor advocate" while also defending the RLA. It should've been scrapped a long time ago. Worker rights/leverage are much better under NLRB rules.

Many times in life you need to learn to accept the House you live in. And that house has stood for 88 years now.
How long did slavery stand?

How about segregation?

Anti-sodomy laws? Miscegenation?

Just because something has been accepted over time doesn't necessarily make it right.

It's rare that Kev and I agree, but the RLA has almost always favored Management.

Reactions: Kev3188
How long did slavery stand?

How about segregation?

Anti-sodomy laws? Miscegenation?

Just because something has been accepted over time doesn't necessarily make it right.

It's rare that Kev and I agree, but the RLA has almost always favored Management.

Right or wrong is very debatable if you read the entire History. And frankly I’ve always found it rather naive that anyone thinks we live in a free Country. There’s absolutely no such thing. There will always be Barons and Peasants. And we are the Peasants. Thankfully though I’m a more comfortable Peasant than the average.

BTW so is Kev and that’s why he’s never really tried to rock that boat. Talking a good game on this site is one thing, actually being serious about it is another thing entirely. FOS applies.

Hilarious how you always think Unions trap people in and yet when one is asked to walk away and complies you now call it abandoning its members or giving up its responsibilities.

You’re just one of those people who can’t be pleased no matter what can you?

“ January 28, 2019

Dear Local 721 member,

The leadership of Local 721 has requested to be disaffiliated from the Transport Workers Union of America (TWU). Their request has been fulfilled. You are no longer represented by the TWU of America.”
UNIONS do trap people.

They trap people into paying dues in a closed shop.

They trap people into certain positions with occupational seniority.
And when a person is hired on it’s clearly explained to them if it’s a closed shop. They can choose not to take the job. No one is forced. And they can become an Agency Fee Payor.
Sure they are forced.

I put my application into AMERICAN AIRLINES not the TWU.

People choose the JOB, they don't choose the compulsory membership.

UNIONS do trap people.

Sure they are forced.

Unions as a total of available jobs are only 5 or 6% in the Private sector and 12% in the Public. Regarding closed shop under the RLA my guess is Air and Rail jobs are lower than 1%.

So since 99% + of available jobs don’t force you into the Union or into paying dues you are free to work elsewhere. Remember that both those Companies and Unions didn’t go looking for you, you came to them.

Guys like you and E just got burned from the experience so now you have a grudge and a vendetta. Or maybe it’s your mental White Whale?

And if you don’t like the direction your Union has taken you are always free to try and take over that Union and push it in the direction you want.

UNIONS do trap people.

Sure they are forced.

And you can be a non-member, agency fee payor.

So you aren’t trapped. And like I said in a closed shop it’s clearly explained before you hire on.

But you enjoy the pay, benefits etc that the union negotiated for you and the rest.

Unions as a total of available jobs are only 5 or 6% in the Private sector and 12% in the Public. Regarding closed shop under the RLA my guess is Air and Rail jobs are lower than 1%.
But they are close to 100% of major airline and rail jobs in most locations, so if that's your passion, you're out of luck unless you work for Delta...

Guys like you and E just got burned from the experience so now you have a grudge and a vendetta.

Yeah, not gonna lump me in as a bitter malcontent. I fully enjoyed all my time at AA, and am glad I got out before the Tempe Takeover. Now fully enjoying my AA pension and quite happy with my current airline. The unions here are far more professional than the clown car some of you accept as normal.

I don’t think people object to be represented per se so much as they object to having a shitty union/local. Or being stuck in one as it devolves.
Ding ding ding. Unfortunately, some people don't recognize how bad the situation they're in really is compared to other airlines, because they've been in that bad/dysfunctional situation for so long they accept it as normal, or perhaps they're simply idiots who don't want to know any better.

Reactions: La Li Lu Le Lo
But they are close to 100% of major airline and rail jobs in most locations, so if that's your passion, you're out of luck unless you work for Delta...

Yeah, not gonna lump me in as a bitter malcontent. I fully enjoyed all my time at AA, and am glad I got out before the Tempe Takeover. Now fully enjoying my AA pension and quite happy with my current airline. The unions here are far more professional than the clown car some of you accept as normal.

Ding ding ding. Unfortunately, some people don't recognize how bad the situation they're in really is compared to other airlines, because they've been in that bad/dysfunctional situation for so long they accept it as normal, or perhaps they're simply idiots who don't want to know any better.

E how long now have you been gone from AA? Today you’re nothing more than an outsider looking in from a very great distance.

Ok so with Delta existing then it’s even way lower than 1%. But if you’re going to try to get in to an Airline job and you’re adamant to avoid a Union you’re some form of pathetic I have to say. Again I remember saying this before here. Most people look for a job that suits their personal current geographic location. So if you live in Atlanta that would obviously be Delta, but if you live in Dallas you’re shooting for AA or SWA. Being from NYC myself I took AA because my buddy worked there and he got me in.

But if you don’t like Unions and want passionately to work in the Air and Rail industry maybe “you” should find a new passion. Why should the industry be changed to satisfy the clowns who have a preconceived prejudice against Unions? Flick off.

And thank you for waking me up to how bad my situation really is. I’m working in the Station I wanted, I have the shift I want, the days off I want and I made pretty damn good pay and benefits the last few years. Industry comparable to Delta and United BTW. Maybe you’re talking about my Employee Bus ride?

I don’t think people object to be represented per se so much as they object to having a shitty union/local. Or being stuck in one as it devolves.

That’s because too many people don’t have the ability to focus on the real prize. The dysfunction that exists with all people is nothing but a great distraction that other people focus too much of their energy on. The prize is very simple and it’s a prize you still haven’t obtained or regained.