Rakesh Gets A New Job

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Gangwal leads IndiGo

Hey, who was that at the Paris Air Show earlier this month, placing a surprise order for Airbus planes for a new Indian low-cost carrier?It was none other than Rakesh Gangwal, US Airways' CEO from 1998 to 2001.

Gangwal's new company, called IndiGo, placed an order for 100 Airbus A320s, which have a list price of more than $6 billion. The airline is expected to start flying later this year.

Some US Airways employees are still upset by the $15 million lump-sum pension payment Gangwal received when he left US Airways.

This was before BKs and before Siegel.

Hope he does well. He was good to the employees, fair-minded, and did not create a hostile enviroment in which to work, IMO.

He left U because of philosophical differences between he and the Chairman of the Board.

Yes, PineyBob,

I believe the issue was indeed that Mr. Gangwal had a conscience. All reports I've ever had of dealings with Gangwal indicate that while he may have had a different take on things from labor, he dealt in an honorable fashion with labor. He has had the misfortune of being lumped in with Wolf and crew in many peoples' minds.

I'll be interested to see how IndiGo develops in the subcontinent.

How're the cockroaches?

-Airlineorphan

P.S. PitBull, keep kicking their behinds! Miss ya!

PITbull said:
This was before BKs and before Siegel.

Hope he does well. He was good to the employees, fair-minded, and did not create a hostile enviroment in which to work, IMO.

He left U because of philosophical differences between he and the Chairman of the Board.
[post="279280"][/post]​
Pitbull here is where we respectfully disagree. Have you ever been priviledged (sp?) to one of Rakesh's weekly quality review calls with the managers?

Gangwal was actually interested in Running USAirways...where as Wolf was looking for a way to sell it and profit from it. The mans history in aviation prior to U was a clear indication of his mindset.

Gangwal...like another former U Executive (Charlie Nardello) for example , had a sense of right and wrong , Raskesh was just lucky enough in life to have a better type of Golden Parachute when egoes clashed.

Gangwal wanted to run the airline....and to the door he went
Nardello stood up or rather agreed with his Mechanics and their contract regarding the Airbus work...and he was shown the door too.

Sadly..the culture at U has been all about only a select few reaping all the benefits..and the Passengers , Employee's and Investors can just be damned in the meantime.

The best that can come from the Merger with HP is a purging of all whom have subscribed to U's Management practices..as few have learned anything positive from those above them. The end result of those practices are self-evident.

Speaking with one of the ALPA Negotiating Committee members and an MEC member from the Gangwal era, I was told that Gangwal was always up-front and truthful in dealing with the union. What he said was very often not what the union wanted to hear, but he followed through with his words. Perhaps Gangwal's honesty is one of the reasons he found himself outside looking in. For instance: "The events of September 11th have given us certain opportunities..."

It was insensitive, sure. But it was truthful and up-front. At least when Gangwal spoke you knew what to expect and could count on in. For better or worse.

nycbusdriver said:
It was insensitive, sure. But it was truthful and up-front. At least when Gangwal spoke you knew what to expect and could count on in. For better or worse.
[post="279343"][/post]​

From folks I know at UAL, that's pretty much Rakesh's reputation there as well -- direct and brutally honest. Still, I think it's fair to say he wanted to run an airline, and not dismantle one.

Finish or Ignore said:
Pitbull here is where we respectfully disagree. Have you ever been priviledged (sp?) to one of Rakesh's weekly quality review calls with the managers?
[post="279302"][/post]​

No. Only dealt with him from a Labor perspective.