RE: Retirees or Soon to be Retirees and Your Travel Benefits

We all best leave this issue alone. As Eolesen pointed out on another thread, if non-rev travel is a privilege, the company can change the rules at any time for any reason, but the travel is non-taxable (as in W-2 wages). Once you establish that the travel is a right or a benefit, it becomes taxable under Federal law. I know. I know. There is already some non-rev travel that includes imputed income, but it's not every case--which it would be if it becomes an earned benefit or right.

john john said:
How much was that lump sum retirement that APA pilots got

Lump sum option disappeared with CHP11.

The stock was issued as a settlement for retirement and contract changes. The "max max" pilots probably got 3500 shares total, mnay others far less depending on variables of pay/retirement.

IMHO, I'd have to be sedated with a near lethal dose of horse tranquilizer to ride on a AA jet as a non-rev twice a month in retirement  ;)

IMHO, I'd have to be sedated with a near lethal dose of horse tranquilizer to ride on a AA jet as a non-rev twice a month in retirement
Rumor has it that some employees have been able to stand upright after 2 hours in a middle seat in coach on an MD80. However, based upon my most recent deadheading experience--seat 30E, ORD-DFW--I don't believe it.

jimntx said:
We all best leave this issue alone. As Eolesen pointed out on another thread, if non-rev travel is a privilege, the company can change the rules at any time for any reason, but the travel is non-taxable (as in W-2 wages). Once you establish that the travel is a right or a benefit, it becomes taxable under Federal law. I know. I know. There is already some non-rev travel that includes imputed income, but it's not every case--which it would be if it becomes an earned benefit or right.
Excellent point. Some things are better left alone, this would be one.
It's difficult to non rev any more and it's not getting better, it never will. You just have to pick your trip dates and times very carefully and be as computer savvy as you can.

At least with AA's version of first come first served you know where you stand before going to the airport.
US's version of seniority trumps would not be friendly to planning trips as a grey beard could show up last minute and your trip is now cancelled.