Ready For Some Sunshine:

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
US Airways opens its mini-hub in Fort Lauderdale this weekend, something that's a key part of bankrupt carrier's turnaround plan. The airline's flights at the airport will jump from 27 to 44 by the end of the month, and the airline will offer connecting flights from 12 U.S. cities to nine destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to The Miami Herald (free registration). US Airways' expansion is also a big boon to Fort Lauderdale, which is just starting to emerge from the shadow cast by its bigger neighbor to the south — Miami International Airport. "Certainly, we're excited about it, because over the years, [our airport] has been primarily a domestic airport," said Ed Nelson, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood's director of air service development. "It will help the international growth to have Latin American service, and Latin America is a market for the region, not just for [Miami's] Dade County." Speaking of Miami, American Airlines operates a huge hub for Latin American flights there. So will US Airways be able to compete? ""Fort Lauderdale gives us the opportunity to differentiate ourselves," said Doug Leo, US Airways' vice president of sales, distribution and international. Posted at 7 a.m. ET

-USA Today

AND...

US Airways flies south

US AIRWAYS EXPANDS FLIGHTS TO THE CARIBBEAN AND LATIN AMERICA FROM FORT LAUDERDALE-HOLLYWOOD INTL. AIRPORT

By INA PAIVA CORDLE

[email protected]

Since July, US Airways' conference room and phone lines have been abuzz, as executives have plotted every step of the carrier's expansion from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Latin America.

When flights begin this weekend, it will be the culmination of months of work involving hundreds of employees plus airport and government officials.

REMAINDER DELETED....POST THE LINK PLEASE.

a320av8r:

Your right, a bright ray of sunshine for US Airways does appear to be in Fort Lauderdale. FLL and US Airways activities at FLL certainly seem to be drawing much attention of their competitors.

Just out of interest, I went to FLL's web page to look up their terminal map. I noticed the US Airways does not have a FLL map and it is interesting to see the gate location for US Airways. I did not see a specific location for an International terminal or US Customs. Any idea how Customers works for US Airways at FLL?

I also noticed on the FLL web page (under Airport Expansion) that the airport is involved in what appears to be a massive RWY 9L/27R (FLL's only precision approach RWY) overlay project. In addition, FLL is studying the extension of its paralell RWY 9R/27L.

http://www.broward.org/airport/

FM

International flights arrive in Cooncourse H. All US departures are out of Concourse E. If you are arriving from the Caribbean you will clear Customs / Immigration in H and then connect to E. There are airport shuttle busses that run continuously or it is a relatively short walk between terminals.

I thought I read somewhere that the airport was looking at a possible terminal construction project to assist in eliminating the movement of aircraft and people between terminals.

MarkMyWords said:
FM

International flights arrive in Cooncourse H. All US departures are out of Concourse E. If you are arriving from the Caribbean you will clear Customs / Immigration in H and then connect to E. There are airport shuttle busses that run continuously or it is a relatively short walk between terminals.

I thought I read somewhere that the airport was looking at a possible terminal construction project to assist in eliminating the movement of aircraft and people between terminals.
[post="247161"][/post]​
On the FLL web Page there is mention that an Environmental Assessment has been competed for a new terminal building. One thing I didn't know about FLL is it is land locked by 3 major highways. It looks like their expansion of 9R/27L would require the relocation of a major highway and interchanges.

http://www.broward.org/airport/runwayreport/figure5.pdf

Hope this works--after 15 yrs of" We know how to run a airline"--quote from Mr Shorthaul himself Uncle ED---not too much innovative stuff from the Frozen North has worked out .

mweiss said:
Exactly what "innovative stuff from the Frozen North" was there, anyway? :huh:
[post="247174"][/post]​

There was:

-Mirror Image

-Ideas that Fly

-Business Select

-MetroJet

-Operation High Ground

-Operation Restore Confidence

-The Global Carrier of Choice/400 A320 & 30+/A330 Aircraft deliveries (Rationalizing the Fleet)

-British Airways Alliance/Wet Lease

These are not in any chronological order. Just what I could recall for now.

PineyBob said:
I have always felt that the FLL Expansion was one of the brighter things US has done since I started flying regularly.

US's route structure basically runs cold to warm so why not expand to where it is warmer still?

So Bob,

With the seeking of warmer and warmer climates being the end all answer....What's the next destination? Straight to hell maybe? :p

Hmmm. An original idea. Send a bunch of RJ's to Florida and start flying intrastate with FLL as a hub. Call it the "Florida Shuttle". :blink: :D :up:

speedbird86 said:
Hmmm. An original idea. Send a bunch of RJ's to Florida and start flying intrastate with FLL as a hub. Call it the "Florida Shuttle". :blink: :D :up:
[post="247278"][/post]​
The FLORIDA SHUTTLE ........... Where did I hear that before!!!!!! :shock: