Ready For Some Sunshine:

a320av8r said:
Remember AirCal, Reno Air, and TWA?
Great job in assimilating them, how about the SJC hub? RDU hub? BNA hub? STL hub?...

[post="247389"][/post]​

Management here isnt afraid to cut its losses when a hub is bleeding...

SJC was a focus operation and when .com's went bust so did SJC, Crandall whacked RDU and BNA in the early 90's when no one would play ball with 'Value Pricing' and everyone wanted to engage in a pissing contest and lose billions on the heels of Desert Storm instead of rationalizing fare structures.STL went away in the post 9/11 cost cutting,we saw having two hubs fewer than a thousand air miles apart was a bad idea and acted accordingly...

Maybe AA did create the B scale....3 rounds of paycuts later you guys are down to what, E scale? Anyone left on the flight deck with less than fifteen years over there?
Didnt think so.

Give the rest of the industry "AFB" why dont you...

The PI Routemap link shows PI service on LAX-SAN and SAN-PHX... I imagine they are tagged to BWI-LAX and PHX-CLT and the like...

The Florida operation is represented as well.

Keep in mind some of the service depicted here was probably intended for integration with US/PS, like MCI-SFO and LAX-TPA.

This is from June 1989, the merger was in August I think... (PI was already a part of USAir Group at this point, but a separation from US Air (which already included PSA, merged in 1988...

Piedmont Route Map from www.airchive.com

USAir Route Map, August 1989, including PI, from www.airchive.com

funguy2 said:
The PI Routemap link shows PI service on LAX-SAN and SAN-PHX... I imagine they are tagged to BWI-LAX and PHX-CLT and the like...
[post="247937"][/post]​

At one time, we served SAN-LAX as a continuation of the transcon. The plane would come into SAN from the east coast, run up to LAX, and return to the east coast. Likewise, the reverse from the east coast to LAX.

PHX was a stop on the east coast to SAN route and vice versa.

As you said, by June 1989 when the routemap you linked was published, US had been calling the shots for some time - the merger had been comsumated (US had acquired PI) although the public name change didn't happen till Aug 1989.

Jim

Fort Lauderdale airport expects 20% rise in international passengers

By Niala Boodhoo
Business Writer
Posted February 15 2005

International traffic at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport may grow 20 percent this year because of US Airways' new flights to Latin America and the Caribbean, airport officials said Monday at the launch of the airline's expanded service.

Article

Jim

I hope FLL works out for the sake of the company, but I have noticed Ground Delay Programs every Friday,Saturday , and Sunday into FLL. This has been over the last 2 months and that was even without the added service. Just worried about the connecting traffic having problems ! Wheels up times for LGA / FLL in the mid-morning hours sometimes were over 1 hour ! The LGA departure times have been moved all the way back to 0730 and 0820 , but return times out of FLL seem to be right in middle of peak traffic.

LGA Fleet Service said:
Management here isnt afraid to cut its losses when a hub is bleeding...

SJC was a focus operation and when .com's went bust so did SJC, Crandall whacked RDU and BNA in the early 90's when no one would play ball with 'Value Pricing' and everyone wanted to engage in a pissing contest and lose billions on the heels of Desert Storm instead of rationalizing fare structures.STL went away in the post 9/11 cost cutting,we saw having two hubs fewer than a thousand air miles apart was a bad idea and acted accordingly...

Maybe AA did create the B scale....3 rounds of paycuts later you guys are down to what, E scale? Anyone left on the flight deck with less than fifteen years over there?
Didnt think so.

Give the rest of the industry "AFB" why dont you...
[post="247932"][/post]​
:down: :down: OH Go back to ur N AA ZI forum....leave US people alone!!!

LGA / 037 said:
I hope FLL works out for the sake of the company, but I have noticed Ground Delay Programs every Friday,Saturday , and Sunday into FLL. This has been over the last 2 months and that was even without the added service.
[post="248044"][/post]​

Noticed most of the time it was "Seasonal Traffic" as the reason for the delay. I would assume this was all the corporate/private planes going to the islands and people coming down for the weekend from up north to enjoy their Southern home away from the cold. Too bad all air traffic gets lumped together instead of giving priority to those moving large amounts of people. Wouldnt you be thrilled to know you missed your connection because Mr Billionaires private plane (with 3 or 4 people) enroute to his island house was taking up space while you sat on the ground with 150 people trying to get to work/school/weddings/funerals, etc?

Latest posts