REARVIEW MIRROR........

Well, it appears that the employees of US are back to arguing about who''s at fault for the failures of US.....back to pilots must give more, pilots say others must be more productive....Dave says layoffs and please pass the hat.....creditors say ''enough is enough''. I have news for you.....Ch.7 is in your rearview mirror and about to bite you in the a$$...so honestly.....where is this airline heading....honest opinions....leave the stick-n''-stones at home.....

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/24/2002 11:34:15 AM Lakeguy67 wrote:
[P]And that is why you are a laid off CSA and not a attorney, stock broker or millionaire cause you know so much.  Ok Miss Cleo[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][STRONG] this from a parts clerk? come on Boof you can do better[/STRONG][/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/24/2002 11:34:15 AM Lakeguy67 wrote:

And that is why you are a laid off CSA and not a attorney, stock broker or millionaire cause you know so much. Ok Miss Cleo
Actually I took a voluntary layoff to save someone else's US job....I'm not an attorney, then I would have to be a liberal democrate like you....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/24/2002 12:52:56 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Next post will be some employee fanatic twisting numbers to reinforce the claim that the current revenue model is working just dandy.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Close, here it is...

Hey Dave, us workers are under paid and over worked. If you can't figure out how to run a company with an under paid and over worked work force, then we deserve to disappear.

Question: if airline employees had to pay for tickets (no corporate expense account or non-rev) how much would you fly?

At my present wage I could afford to travel on Southwest or Jet Blue. If I had to pay an industry supporting fare, at my present wage I couldn't afford to fly.

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/24/2002 1:48:06 PM repeet wrote:[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]Question: if airline employees had to pay for tickets (no corporate expense account or non-rev) how much would you fly?[BR][BR]At my present wage I could afford to travel on Southwest or Jet Blue. If I had to pay an industry supporting fare, at my present wage I couldn't afford to fly. [BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]Neither could a lot of your current customers. But I've always maintained that an industry supporting fare doesn't have to consist of $99 heavily restricted transcons and $999 walkup prices for a 300 mile trip, and about 20 other fare rules in between. Reduce the number of fares, drop the drastic difference between walkup and advance purchase fares and get rid of all the penalties. That's really about all Southwest and JetBlue are doing. I believe you'd find that more people will be able to afford to fly and pay fares that actually CAN support the industry.

Took all of four posts to blow up the thread.

Next post will be some employee fanatic twisting numbers to reinforce the claim that the current revenue model is working just dandy.

Question: if airline employees had to pay for tickets (no corporate expense account or non-rev) how much would you fly?

It's simply amazing what this board has degenerated to. The guy who started this thread asked an honest question, as well as asking to leave the sticks-n-stones bashing out of any responses and still people decided to flame away.

I'll answer his question with my opinion. I think this industry has yet to see the worst of it. Things are going to get much worse before they get better. And when the dust settles, we may just have 1-2 fewer major airlines in the industry. The current events of this industry are conspiring to destroy those that don't adapt and adjust to the new environment. US Airways potential for a successful restructuring is in great jeopardy now that more cost-cutting will be needed. The longer US remains in Ch.11 and the longer the revenue situation deteriorates, the more US will have to cut. At some point, they'll reach a point of diminishing returns. I hope it doesn't happen but I think there is a very good chance your company will eventually be liquidated, with the valuable assets being sold off to the highest bidder.

Anybody have any info on who are the 30 or so bidders waiting in the wings to place their bid for US assets? This could turn everything that has been worked out so far upside down.

Some good points UAL777FLYER. Your remark the industry will be less 1-2 companies, obviously US is 1 of these companies you are speculating for failure. Could it be UAL will be #2? This is a very high pobability given UAL is hemoraging 8-9 mil. a day, unions have split from the coalition with a very obscure role as to what they are going to play in concessions, S&P has UAL on credit watch with developing implications,etc., with no relief in sight.UAL is a financial catasrophe looking for a place to make it happen.

ref80,

Yes, it very well could be UA. But nothing is certain at this point. US and UA could very well be survivors. But given the current set of circumstances (US in Ch.11 and UA on the doorstep), it is easy for most to assume that those two carriers will die because they're in the most financial peril at this time. But I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Yet. The fact of the matter is that the employees of both carriers, and ultimately, all carriers, have the ability to do what's necessary to avoid becoming another airline carcus and a footnote in the history books. Granted, doing that is extremely painful for all involved, especially those that will ultimately lose their jobs. But it's a lot better than an entire airline going under putting many thousands of people on the street above and beyond just the employees of that airline, due to the ripple affect such a scenario would have on the communities that airline serves (hotels, airport facilities, restaurants, etc.).

It's truly going to be interesting to see which airlines are the ultimate survivors in this struggle to survive and return to profitability. It is not only going to take strong leadership and good senior mgmt/labor leadership relations, but it's also going to take the willingness of each airline's employees to accept and shoulder the pain to make it happen. Things are bad enough as it is. Let us go to war with Iraq again and you'll see things REALLY hit the fan!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/24/2002 4:00:41 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

It's simply amazing what this board has degenerated to. The guy who started this thread asked an honest question, as well as asking to leave the sticks-n-stones bashing out of any responses and still people decided to flame away.

I'll answer his question with my opinion. I think this industry has yet to see the worst of it. Things are going to get much worse before they get better. And when the dust settles, we may just have 1-2 fewer major airlines in the industry. The current events of this industry are conspiring to destroy those that don't adapt and adjust to the new environment. US Airways potential for a successful restructuring is in great jeopardy now that more cost-cutting will be needed. The longer US remains in Ch.11 and the longer the revenue situation deteriorates, the more US will have to cut. At some point, they'll reach a point of diminishing returns. I hope it doesn't happen but I think there is a very good chance your company will eventually be liquidated, with the valuable assets being sold off to the highest bidder.
----------------
Thanx UAL777flyer......after the newest turn of events being forwarded each business hour, I think CH.7 is about to pass us on it's way to the courts....it seems to me that it may be too little to late....we can blame much of this on 9/11 but that only accelarated US woes.....this was on the horizon years before and has been posted for a long time on many threads.....I want this airline to survive since I would like to return to a healthy carrier.....it's a sad state of affairs but the bleeding has been internal for far longer than the year since 9/11.....
8.gif']