Rebooking after Boarding....Is it That Difficult?

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Currently aboard US 710 to PHL from MIA. The aircraft took a mechanical, which was compounded by weather (stuff happens). I am most likely to spend the night in PHL as my ISP connection probably will go on time, although I can hope...

At one point in the 3 1/4 hour delay, I got off the plane and offered some alternative suggestions to the agent on getting me home. The best possibility was to rebook me on AA to DCA and catch the 10:15 pm to ISP. The agent said he could not rebook me on AA because my ticket had already been lifted on this flight, and the system wouldn't let him do it. Is this true? He in fact said any rebooking would have to remain through PHL...they did move me up front, however, greatly appreciated.

On one hand, the agents in MIA did very well with 5-6 of them helping about 80-90 misconnected customers. On the other hand, only 2 of them were proficient enough in SHARES to rebook people without help. I am guessing that they sent some AA agents to help out, and they obviously don't know SHARES too well.
As far as me getting home tonight at least I'll get a voucher for a hotel if I miss because the original delay was mechanical....wish me luck.

Art AA's employees cant perform work that is covered under the CWA/US CBA, also, they wont have a sign in for SHARES to perform any transactions, nor have they been trained.

I'm trying to be understanding, 700, but then only 1/3 of the agents working the flight were properly trained, which brings up another issue entirely.

Descending into PHL..let's see what happens...I'm rebooked on a 4:55 pm tomorrow but that's no good. It is what it is I guess.

What about JFK or LGA and use public transportation to get to the LIRR?

Art at ISP said:
I'm trying to be understanding, 700, but then only 1/3 of the agents working the flight were properly trained, which brings up another issue entirely.

Descending into PHL..let's see what happens...I'm rebooked on a 4:55 pm tomorrow but that's no good. It is what it is I guess.

Four late afternoon/ early evening flights PHL-LGA cancelled today.   I was hoping to be on the 3:50 flight which cancelled about 3:30.

By 3:45 I was on the SEPTA train to Amtrak 30th St Station in Philly, then Amtrak to Penn Station.  I was in Manhattan at 5:50 and home by 6:30.  I looked online and the next flight out of PHL to LGA still doesn't leave until 9 pm.

Doesn't LIRR go from Penn to ISP?

Sure, it cost me money to do it that way, but I would rather be home listening to the thundstorms of NYC (right now) than sitting in the PHL airport hoping beyond hope that I could come up with a hotel room.

$8 to downtown PHL; $53 to $133 (depending on the train) PHL to NYP.  MOney WELL SPENT!

Reactions: 1 person
Yes sir you are correct. That said, I'm in PHL with my original flight still not boarded, and they rebooked me for tomorrow late if hat doesn't go. Due to the mechanical in MIA I also have a hotel voucher if needed...but hopefully this flight will go. The weather looks like it has moved through PHL and is headed away, although it's in the current flight plan route...

We will see what happens, but I am well aware of my options...and I did request to go to LGA or JFK and take a cab, but the agent in MIA said he couldn't do it, which is the basis of my original question...no reroutes once boarded...

QIK/SHARES ties the agents hands to able to adjusted the ticket after the ticket shows flown

Thanks John John, that apparently was the problem. Hopefully SaBRE won't have the same limitation.

In one way the joke is on me, because one of my proposed solutions wouldn't have worked because apparently ISP-DCA round trip stopped on Tuesday. That is a mistake, it was mostly full, and based on the fares I paid for my daughter to come home, seems like it was profitable.

Except for the snafu at the MIA gate, however, I was impressed. They brought in plenty of people to help the misconnected, albeit not properly trained, they were proactive in handing me a new boarding pass and hotel voucher when I deplaned in PHL, which thankfully weren't needed, and there was a hot meal on the flight. The agent moved me up to first when seats opened up due to the reroutes.

My Best to you all!

Reactions: 2 people
Art at ISP said:
Currently aboard US 710 to PHL from MIA. The aircraft took a mechanical, which was compounded by weather (stuff happens). I am most likely to spend the night in PHL as my ISP connection probably will go on time, although I can hope...

At one point in the 3 1/4 hour delay, I got off the plane and offered some alternative suggestions to the agent on getting me home. The best possibility was to rebook me on AA to DCA and catch the 10:15 pm to ISP. The agent said he could not rebook me on AA because my ticket had already been lifted on this flight, and the system wouldn't let him do it. Is this true? 

Somewhat true ..... once a plane is boarded and coupon shows used it is a little more difficult to rebook passengers, even on to another US flight. A manager has to sign into the system and make it possible. We are always short staffed so finding someone to do it can be difficult. 

Latest posts