Registry Numbers

Fresh Breath -

I am not sure why what Eric posted caused such a ruffle in your feathers. He didn't complain about having to do additional work because of possible tail number duplications. He was just wondering out loud if there were any known issues.

During the previous mergers, the fleets were re-numbered to offer consistency in the numbering of airplanes. This way you always knew that an aircraft numbered between 800-849 were an MD80, 850-899 were the F100's. They even changed numbers in sub fleets. 300 series airplanes were short range 733's, 400 series airplanes were 734's, the 500 series airplanes were long range 733's (with aux tanks and video systems), the airplanes numbered 775-790 were the overwater equipped 734's, etc.

There are other systems in the company the depend on using a 3 number system as well and will not be able to be programed to recognize the US, UW, AW letter designators.

My guess is there will be a renumbering of portions of the fleet prior to full integration.

Words,

I don't think we'll see a whole renumbering of the fleet -- I believe there's a charge involved in "buying" a new registration number for an aircraft -- kind of like vanity license plates -- at least not for a while anyways and not until everyway to avoid this cost has been investigated (welcome to LCC!) But if we're gonna do it, let's do it when the aircraft are being repainted as that would be the most logical and efficient time to change the N numbers, since they'll have to be stripped and repainted anyways!

You're right, however, that most of the systems used by either US or HP wouldn't know the difference between 625 the A320 and 625 the A330 (don't know if those aircraft really exist, the numbers were chosen arbitrarily for illustration purposes.) And this is what I meant when I addressed Eric's original post -- tail number issues for customized Airbus IPC and other tech docs is not an issue. THIS is a real issue. (And don't tell me that we wouldn't be discussing it if he hadn't brought it up -- it's already being discussed by the people that register our new aircraft deliveries and such. They've realized it's not going to be a simple decision and has many ripple effects that have to be considered) Not only would the systems have to recognize a certain tail number, they would also have to have a way to enter and recogize fleet type. With a good IT dept (HP's is pretty good!) a "work-around" of some sort could be developed to do just this. But that would mean more work for everyone using that system -- having to enter not just tail number, but fleet type, too,when doing any transaction (geez, what did we do before computers? :rolleyes: ) If LCC is going to spend any money at all addressing this situation I believe this is all the more reason to scrap Merlin and Sceptre and all those other antiquated systems and programs and get some real computing power in here that will fit our needs -- instead of trying to tweak these dinasaurs that were developed in the 70's!

Now that I really start to think about it, can you imagine changing aircraft numbers in every system and every record and every place that number has ever existed among all the possible places -- mx, records, finance, engineering -- for as many as 400 or so aircraft at two different carriers? OMG -- that would be expensive and time-consuming and a waste of resources! Wow. Boxes and boxes of records and can you imagine the confusion that could ensue when tracing the history of an aircraft? So, how do we solve this issue? Re-register the smallest, youngest fleets that we're going to keep -- like the A330s? And what about the 767's? Their tail numbers are 6XX, too... What a headache! No, let's keep the N numbers we have and get a computer system or 2 that works for US!

Lots to think about. No wonder it's going to take so long to fully integrate.

I'm confident that we'll figure out the best way to resolve these issues -- they may seem large, but in the big picture we can work with them and still succeed. We just all have to want to, badly enough...

Agreed.

I am not suggesting we re-number the entire fleet......but that there will be a need to re-number some aircraft in order to reduce confusion. I am sure the new LCC will find a way to rationalize the numbering system with the least amount of cost and the largest amount of benefit.

VJ stood for Vista Jet.

As far as the DC-9 tail numbers go, no. We had those tail numbers before ValueJet was even started. They used old Eastern DC-9s at start-up the first time around. My hard drive is all used up, so I can not retain all the unecessary information. I belive the VJ stood for Victory Jet. And our DC-9's and engines were bought by some outfit. I believe I read it on this board somewhere a while back. I'm sure someone will fill in the missing information. Yeah, it's too late for me as well, and this Vampire wine is really relaxing me.

You sound like you're in tech data and have a "poor me" "look at all the work I'll have to do" attitude if we would've had to switch to MSN #'s. I don't think that was your intent -- but that's what you sound like.

My intent was never to sound like I don't want to do work. I take pride in going above and beyond and doing whatever is necessary to get the job done including working overtime, weekends, holidays. I was just trying to find out what may be ahead.

And if you had to convert all the Airbus manuals to MSN #'s -- c'mon -- in this day and age, how hard could that be? We use tail numbers because the MECHANIC can easily LOOK at the airplane and know which one it is! If we painted the MSN number on the side, we'd use that instead. And if it were an issue, I hope you'd be working on a way to solve it and not just "wondering" about it...

The company has been exploring new technology. We have SGML/XML based manuals and that is a bonus. Big upgrade from PDF.

Let's stay on track and not make mountains out of molehills. Ok? We need to focus on positive attitudes and use all our strength to work together to resolve real problems and not waste it on non-issues.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but we ALL need to think more about what we say and what we post and do a little homework or research before we invent a bunch of problems where they don't exist. Same thing goes for on the job. Be resourceful (if you've got time to be here you've got time to GOOGLE or ask Jeeves, etc), solve what you can for yourself, and then if you need hellp or can't find the answer -- ASK!

Yes, I could have done some research...I did think about how to find some info on this topic before creating it...but didn't really have any ideas other than asking the question on this board. Your information was very helpful and appreciated.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Thank goodness! LOL...or I wouldn't have any butt left :D Thanks again for the info.

AA.... Astro Jets
TWA Super Jets ( for the 707's) Star Streams ( for the CV-880's)

AA:
Astrojets (one word), as applied to reengined or newly-delivered turbofan
707 and 720 aircraft...originally named "707 Jet Flagships" (water wagons).

TW:
The SuperJet moniker was used for both the original lead sled 707s as well
as the (turbojet) 880s. Those 707s reengined/delivered with turbo-fans were
renamed StarStream.

Memory is a bit hazy but TW may have re-monikered everything as StarStream
later on, even the remaining straight-pipe jets. Perhaps MegaOldies707 could
chime in on this.