Retired FA's sue over non rev travel

OldGuy@AA said:
We have the worst benefits in the entire airline industry and the TWU are the ones negotiating these.
Yeah, you'd probably be wrong.

The guys at Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit likely have nothing even close to what you have. Frontier doesn't even have a 401(k) match from what I've been told (feel free to correct me on that).

Reactions: 2 people
OldGuy@AA said:
I believe I said earlier that I am not a lawyer so I don't know for sure.  But I do know there are federal laws that make age discrimination against the law.  I also said we (AMTs) were being discriminated against with the inferior benefits.  I never claimed to be an expert or have much knowledge of legal stuff.  I am just rooting for these retirees as I think it is not fair to them to be classified as D2R.  Also I did say AMTs are discriminated against by the TWU and I stand by that statement.  We have the worst benefits in the entire airline industry and the TWU are the ones negotiating these. 
The Federal Age Discrimination Act only covers people between the ages of 40 and 70 and only in matters of employment--getting or keeping a job.  Has absolutely nothing to do with granted benefits.  As someone who will be a D2R before too much longer I'm not wild about the change myself, but it is what it is.  They could have just said, retirees get no non-rev travel but are allowed to purchase deeply discounted tickets.  As has been pointed out before by me and others, the total number of living retirees between PMAA and PMUS is greater than the total number of active employees.  Something had to be done.

OldGuy@AA said:
I believe I said earlier that I am not a lawyer so I don't know for sure.  But I do know there are federal laws that make age discrimination against the law.  I also said we (AMTs) were being discriminated against with the inferior benefits.  I never claimed to be an expert or have much knowledge of legal stuff.  I am just rooting for these retirees as I think it is not fair to them to be classified as D2R.  Also I did say AMTs are discriminated against by the TWU and I stand by that statement.  We have the worst benefits in the entire airline industry and the TWU are the ones negotiating these. 
OldGuy.......My point is that filing lawsuits over benefits is a waste of time, energy and money. It's not as if they LOST their travel benefit completely...I'm sure that AA retirees aren't the only ones in the world who have experienced the loss or modification of benefits while IN retirement.

Reactions: 1 person
The USair folks got FCFS, the AA folks got D2R.

The TWU retirees voted in a contract where they got paid to leave, then they sue for part of our equity. Not really to concerned with their feelings. I have another 25 years to work with the wreckage they voted in.

Reactions: 5 people
jimntx said:
The Federal Age Discrimination Act only covers people between the ages of 40 and 70 and only in matters of employment--getting or keeping a job.  Has absolutely nothing to do with granted benefits.  As someone who will be a D2R before too much longer I'm not wild about the change myself, but it is what it is.  They could have just said, retirees get no non-rev travel but are allowed to purchase deeply discounted tickets.  As has been pointed out before by me and others, the total number of living retirees between PMAA and PMUS is greater than the total number of active employees.  Something had to be done.
Correction to my previous post:  If the employment offer to a person in the covered age range had a restriction on benefits based on age--such as, "because you are 52 we can not offer you group hospitalization benefits"--that would be illegal and covered by the law.

At the old US, retirees kept the same DOH status as actives.  Old HP was FCFS, and retirees had lower status.  (Of course HP, being a young company, did not have as many retirees).  Parents did not pay a charge at old US, but did at HP.   Right after the merger, Tempe tried service charges for retirees, too; that did not last long. 

OldGuy@AA said:
I am hoping they win this law suit.  There is no way after giving AA (or TWA or US Air) the best years of your life you should kicked off a flight by someone's kid.  This should never have been done in the first place.
No way I should be bumped by a retired FA who only worked 2 trips a month for her last 10 years of working.

Yes there are a lot of FAs who work their schedule and more but there is an equal amount who don't work at all or work sparingly.

Retirees have all the time in the world to travel, active employees don't. As the retirees voted away another week of vacation so they could get $40k to retire. Maybe they can buy a ticket with the equity share they are sueing for.

Two trips a month?  For some that would be heavy flying.  Last year (or the year before) I was at Recurrent Training and met a f/a who told me she had not flown a trip in 10 years!  She said the only time she was even on an airplane is when she non-revved to DFW for Recurrent Training each year.  She was not all that old either.  I would guess late 50's or early 60's.

I retired after 45 plus years of service. Left in March 2013. Took no early out package, and because I was not on the payroll in July 2013, was not eligible for equity.

Having said all that, I'm happy the way things are, being classified as D2R. As a retiree I have plenty of time. Should I need to travel during peak season and flights are too tight, then I will buy an AA20 or get a cheap fare.  Or not travel at all. It is what it is.

Just another beautiful day in paradise. :)

Reactions: 7 people
Senor Pelon said:
I retired after 45 plus years of service. Left in March 2013. Took no early out package, and because I was not on the payroll in July 2013, was not eligible for equity.

Having said all that, I'm happy the way things are, being classified as D2R. As a retiree I have plenty of time. Should I need to travel during peak season and flights are too tight, then I will buy an AA20 or get a cheap fare.  Or not travel at all. It is what it is.

Hats off to you Señor for being objective and reasonable with this change. Enjoy retirement!

Reactions: 2 people
Senor Pelon said:

Glad you are enjoying retirement. You're how retirees should be, relaxed and thankful for a wonderful career

bigjets said:
Glad you are enjoying retirement. You're how retirees should be, relaxed and thankful for a wonderful career
Retirement is great. Leisurely travel is great. But what is disturbing
to me is how little respect has been shown to retirees on this board and
elsewhere. They are the people who helped create,
for better or worse, the company where you have found employment.

Reactions: 3 people
Senor Pelon said:

Thank you for your view of retired life. I am enjoying mine and only once was denied boarding a flight to Munich, just left PHL for home and got to go another time. Out of 12 times crossing the pond, only once could not. Not bad eh?