Retirement

p/t salary 18K for the YEAR!

A DISGRACE!
18k for a part time job is a good salary for that type of work. Again, it boils down to the fact that if those that complain could find a better job, one that payed more they would take it.

I know many employees who were very dissatisfied with their job and the company, who complained voraciously, and were furloughed. Then, 1-2 years later guess what? Most of these very complainers are now worker for Usairways once again doing the EXACT same job as before (and still complaining mind you) but for even less money than before. Why you may ask? Because when they went out into the "real world" they found they were making less money, with much worse benefits etc etc. So back they are at USsair, miserable and complaining but they are smart enough to know it is the best thing around for them.
Instead of complaining you should be THANKFUL.

Why would they be making less? I can understand that they may have been brought back part time, however, I know of individuals that have been furloughed, and are now in a better position than they were at LCC. They recieved the severance and are thriving. ??? Your point is????
Just saying, some have, some have not. Depending on the circumstance. It is not all 'packaged' or whatever. Lcc isnt the end all for anything. Shouldn't have the gall to presume so.

I know many employees who were very dissatisfied with their job and the company, who complained voraciously, and were furloughed.
Having a voice about better wages and benefits and job security is not complaining it is representation with “rewardsâ€￾ talking about people at work is complaining

So why would you RETIRE, might better stay here with all of other old farts.....who are going to work till we die.

Who said anything about a "golden retirement." That should not have been their only savings obviously. People need to think and plan for taking care of themselves.

A ticket agent's salary doesn't necessarily point to a golden life, or a golden job with a golden paycheck. . .so why as you put it should they have a "golden retirement." Just wondering.

Junior,
The "golden life "as you put it, has in the past, been a REAL job. However, it is apparent, it is not REAL,
anymore.
It is a joke. Yes times are hard, but the upper escelon are not suffering, apparently.
Every one else is garbage.

Check out your 401k today, down over 20% plus. Who is responsible?
You are cr**.
Yes, DA. be proud.
They do not care about you. At one time, it was a brilliant business plan, however, it is apparent, not any more.

Yeah, that's what happens. CS for 37 years and retired 1/1/2005.

Retirement dropped from $1975.20 to $1167.80 the month I hit 62.

Best part is SS makes up for the drop plus another $600.00.

Fed tax taken went from $143.78 to $36.35.

It's called the Level Income Option: If you retire before reaching your Social Security Commencement Date, this option allows you to have your monthly payments adjusted so they are higher in the years before you reach your SS Commencement Date and lower during the remainder of your lifetime. This way, your combined income from this plan and SS will be generally level throughout your retirement.

If you elect this payment option, US Airways will determine your SS amount and SS Commencement Date according to the Social Security Act in effect on the "freeze date" of your plan or when you retire, whichever is earliest.

Junior,
The "golden life "as you put it, has in the past, been a REAL job. However, it is apparent, it is not REAL,
anymore.
It is a joke. Yes times are hard, but the upper escelon are not suffering, apparently.
Every one else is garbage.

Check out your 401k today, down over 20% plus. Who is responsible?
You are cr**.
Yes, DA. be proud.
They do not care about you. At one time, it was a brilliant business plan, however, it is apparent, not any more.
The original poster was lamenting the fact that USair did not offer them the "golden retirement" that evidentally they assumed was their due. People can no longer expect the gov't to take care of them once they hit 65, and for the most part can't expect a company to take care of them in their golden years. They must take care of themselves and plan and save for that rainy day. Guess what? It's raining. :rolleyes:

The original poster was lamenting the fact that USair did not offer them the "golden retirement" that evidentally they assumed was their due. People can no longer expect the gov't to take care of them once they hit 65, and for the most part can't expect a company to take care of them in their golden years. They must take care of themselves and plan and save for that rainy day. Guess what? It's raining. :rolleyes:

In the fall of 1968, I decided to trade my college education for an airline career at the ripe, old age of 19. I was promised a decent pension, paid health insurance after retirement and travel benefits. I gave US 33 years of hard-earned service.............US gave me several pay cuts, unemployment after 9/11 with 3 days notice, a frozen pension, unpaid health insurance and travel benefits. Employees shouldn't have to worry about their golden years, they shouldn't have to worry about CEO's who have no moral principles or scruples, CEO's who promse the world, drop the ball, and then flee with millions of dollars. Yes, people should plan for a rainy day, and it is pouring buckets right now, but there's two sides to every raindrop.

The moral of the story: Don't give up your college degree for an airline career and watch out for CEO's who wear red suspenders. ;)

In the fall of 1968, I decided to trade my college education for an airline career at the ripe, old age of 19. I was promised a decent pension, paid health insurance after retirement and travel benefits. I gave US 33 years of hard-earned service.............US gave me several pay cuts, unemployment after 9/11 with 3 days notice, a frozen pension, unpaid health insurance and travel benefits. Employees shouldn't have to worry about their golden years, they shouldn't have to worry about CEO's who have no moral principles or scruples. . .
What do you mean you traded your college education? You mean you made a decision to forgo college to begin earning money right away? Again, your decision (was it a good one?), and what do you mean you were "promised a decent pension, paid health insurance. . " Who made this promise to you? Where is it documented? And who determines what "decent pension" is? You? The company? A judge?

. " Who made this promise to you?

The terms and conditions of employment from the company when they were hired and thru out their career. US/PI would issue a print out every year with the assured pension and benefits. We all know your useless exhausted point. death and taxes

It's called the Level Income Option:
This a call shortchanging the funds set aside for the employees. The percentage amount of offset is very high on the old Piedmont plan. You do not see upper management have this BS OFF SET

What do you mean you traded your college education? You mean you made a decision to forgo college to begin earning money right away? Again, your decision (was it a good one?), and what do you mean you were "promised a decent pension, paid health insurance. . " Who made this promise to you? Where is it documented? And who determines what "decent pension" is? You? The company? A judge?

In regards to my college degree........

Was it a good decision? NO. Hence my moral of the story quip.

Do I regret it? Of Course! but 19 year olds don't often make wise decisions. In fact, the portion of your brain which regulates your decision making abilities doesn't fully mature until the age of 25.

In regards to documentation of my benefits..............

john john answered that question very nicely. Thank You, john john. :)

Who said anything about a "golden retirement." That should not have been their only savings obviously. People need to think and plan for taking care of themselves.

A ticket agent's salary doesn't necessarily point to a golden life, or a golden job with a golden paycheck. . .so why as you put it should they have a "golden retirement." Just wondering.
Industry Consolidation and Protecting Employee Rights
Since 9/11, the state of the airline industry has been tumultuous. For workers, the intervening years have been especially difficult. Nearly 200,000 aviation industry employees lost their jobs as a direct result of the economic fallout from 9/11.

Carriers have continued their practice of outsourcing jobs to the lowest bidder and have used the bankruptcy process to gain onerous concessions from their workers and destroy pension plans. It appears that consolidation and potentially more bankruptcies will be considered. As airlines contemplate mergers or acquisitions, the interests of workers must be protected.

As Congress considers consolidation Congress need to give all workers the fair opportunity to organize and join unions. Aviation workers play a fundamental role in our complex aviation system and must be part of any debate over reauthorization.

Transportation labor enhances aviation safety, protects aviation employees, supports good jobs and boosts aviation trust fund and general treasury funding to ensure a sound aviation system.

Back