Revenue "dis-synergies" Mergers can be ugly

You really think the CWA-AFA is better? Feel free to send your money to the CWA and see how little comes back to AFA to represent you. At least here you would have a say. I still think there would be no way that CWA-AFA wins an election at AA. I personally don't think there would even be an election. I think CWA-AFA would just give up after a single carrier designation. Just my opinion.

You have your opinion I got mine, I pay dues every month, I've called APFA maybe 3 times in 15 years, the last time didn't get a return phone call, then emailed again no response. Some kind of union, more like a country club in my opinion. Also AFA has staffed offices at their main hubs. Where's APFAs? You like APFA vote for them. I'm sure there will be an election. I can't wait!

We used to have an office in ORD. DFW did too, not sure if they still do. Not sure if others did. Wouldn't be surprised if they did. DFW does a Reps in OPS day as well. I guess I have better luck than you. Never had to leave a message during business hours while calling APFA HDQ. They answer and transfer to the correct person. Multiple desks available to answer any question you have. It is quite nice to get a quick answer. I guess if you want your base chair to answer your beckon call, then make sure they don't fly. They fly, thus they are unreachable at times. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they offer better service than CWA-AFA. I would prefer that my union be run by f/a's rather than customer service reps from Verizon. To each their own. Do you know that CWA-AFA carriers are hiring? Maybe you would be happier there.

There are a few out there who have a negative view on the merger, but not too many are going public. They're choosing not to comment at all.

A few of those who are public are simply looking out for the short term gains they can extract from a brief honeymoon period, some others truly believe it's the best move that either carrier can make right now. And then there are a few who just hate AMR so much that they want to see Horton punished, regardless if it kills what's left of the company in the process.

All 3 scenarios you listed are viable.

However, let's focus on the many analysts that have endorsed the merger. Where are they going wrong in their analysis?

Also, how can you endorse the Horton Die Alone plan moving forward? Where is the additional revenue going to come from? Where is the expansion? Why do we continue to shrink? How will outsourcing more of our flying to code share going to save us? Where is the plan to improve the operation and product?

Sorry, but all I have seen so far from Horton is a horrific paint job that they spent millions on to come up with. We will be back in bankruptcy in a couple of years if these boobs remain in Centreport.

You have your opinion I got mine, I pay dues every month, I've called APFA maybe 3 times in 15 years, the last time didn't get a return phone call, then emailed again no response. Some kind of union, more like a country club in my opinion. Also AFA has staffed offices at their main hubs. Where's APFAs? You like APFA vote for them. I'm sure there will be an election. I can't wait!

Your experience is similar to mine with one exception--Linda who usually answers the Contract Rep on duty calls has always given me not only the specific contract language, but also an example of how and when that part "kicks in." She even called me back about something yesterday that she and I discussed a couple of weeks ago. When she got an answer to my question, she called me.

All 3 scenarios you listed are viable.

However, let's focus on the many analysts that have endorsed the merger. Where are they going wrong in their analysis?

Also, how can you endorse the Horton Die Alone plan moving forward? Where is the additional revenue going to come from? Where is the expansion? Why do we continue to shrink? How will outsourcing more of our flying to code share going to save us? Where is the plan to improve the operation and product?

Sorry, but all I have seen so far from Horton is a horrific paint job that they spent millions on to come up with. We will be back in bankruptcy in a couple of years if these boobs remain in Centreport.

Well, the horrific paint job, and a complete poisoning of the well of employee relations. You must give credit where credit is due.

We used to have an office in ORD. DFW did too, not sure if they still do. Not sure if others did. Wouldn't be surprised if they did. DFW does a Reps in OPS day as well. I guess I have better luck than you. Never had to leave a message during business hours while calling APFA HDQ. They answer and transfer to the correct person. Multiple desks available to answer any question you have. It is quite nice to get a quick answer. I guess if you want your base chair to answer your beckon call, then make sure they don't fly. They fly, thus they are unreachable at times. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they offer better service than CWA-AFA. I would prefer that my union be run by f/a's rather than customer service reps from Verizon. To each their own. Do you know that CWA-AFA carriers are hiring? Maybe you would be happier there.
USED to have staffed offices to, USED TO is the key word, when is the last time you called them? a few years ago i did get an answer when i called (cant remember what that was about ) but thats all i got was an answer. I was told there was nothing they could do about whatever it was. My partner flies for United, thats how i know about the staffed offices AFA has. Ive actually been to the one in IAD with my partner, this was this past Sept. Your smart ass comment about my base chair being at my beck and call is unnecesary. I dont expect any union or company official to be at my beck and call. I am a flight attendant not a CEO! Are you a flight attendant? If so I hope you dont talk to the customers with that attitude but i wouldnt be surprised. Ive seen it many times from other flight attendants. NO union is perfect especially now and i dont expect perfection, just a simple return call would be nice. Or a return e-mail. If you find that acceptable then vote away, I have a little higher expectation of a union that is collecting my dues every month. Oh yea by the way I am happy here, (just not with the so called "union".maybe you should go to Verizon and apply, just clean up your smart ass attitude before the interview. Cheers!

Your experience is similar to mine with one exception--Linda who usually answers the Contract Rep on duty calls has always given me not only the specific contract language, but also an example of how and when that part "kicks in." She even called me back about something yesterday that she and I discussed a couple of weeks ago. When she got an answer to my question, she called me.
I guess maybe I should have tried again later, but it wasnt that important an issue I guess. It was about an occurence that I didnt know about from last January, I knew it was dropping off this month anyway so i didnt pursue it. Thanks for your reply. At least i know they do respond sometimes anyway.

USED to have staffed offices to, USED TO is the key word, when is the last time you called them? a few years ago i did get an answer when i called (cant remember what that was about ) but thats all i got was an answer. I was told there was nothing they could do about whatever it was. My partner flies for United, thats how i know about the staffed offices AFA has. Ive actually been to the one in IAD with my partner, this was this past Sept. Your smart ass comment about my base chair being at my beck and call is unnecesary. I dont expect any union or company official to be at my beck and call. I am a flight attendant not a CEO! Are you a flight attendant? If so I hope you dont talk to the customers with that attitude but i wouldnt be surprised. Ive seen it many times from other flight attendants. NO union is perfect especially now and i dont expect perfection, just a simple return call would be nice. Or a return e-mail. If you find that acceptable then vote away, I have a little higher expectation of a union that is collecting my dues every month. Oh yea by the way I am happy here, (just not with the so called "union".maybe you should go to Verizon and apply, just clean up your smart ass attitude before the interview. Cheers!
Who pissed in your Cheerios? Sounds like someone heard something that sounded a little too familiar to them. You are the one whining and crying about your lack of response. But you also failed to follow up as well. So be it, apparently you weren't that interested in getting an answer. It isn't hard to get an answer from APFA. You just need to call. I've found that the base chairs are the worst, but all you need to do is call back. I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but oh we'll, they fly trips and have lives as well. Like I said, if you call HDQ, you get better response times. As they have dedicated volunteers manning the phones who are trained in the department they are answering calls for. Some times in life you need to take a little initiative for yourself. I guess you would rather have someone do it all for you. Sounds entitled to me. So i take it by your "attitude" that the CWA-AFA is all peaches and cream and they return all calls and emails promptly? Never miss anything by accident? I get it, they are the best. I understand the type of person you are now. You are the galley complainer who is never happy, yet never does anything to help the situation. If you are so against APFA and for CWA-AFA, how many cards have you gotten signed for a representation election? Too busy? Or just not THAT interested? Out of curiosity, because I have no idea, what are UA's union dues per month?

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Sounds like someone heard something that sounded a little too familiar to them. You are the one whining and crying about your lack of response. But you also failed to follow up as well. So be it, apparently you weren't that interested in getting an answer. It isn't hard to get an answer from APFA. You just need to call. I've found that the base chairs are the worst, but all you need to do is call back. I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but oh we'll, they fly trips and have lives as well. Like I said, if you call HDQ, you get better response times. As they have dedicated volunteers manning the phones who are trained in the department they are answering calls for. Some times in life you need to take a little initiative for yourself. I guess you would rather have someone do it all for you. Sounds entitled to me. So i take it by your "attitude" that the CWA-AFA is all peaches and cream and they return all calls and emails promptly? Never miss anything by accident? I get it, they are the best. I understand the type of person you are now. You are the galley complainer who is never happy, yet never does anything to help the situation. If you are so against APFA and for CWA-AFA, how many cards have you gotten signed for a representation election? Too busy? Or just not THAT interested? Out of curiosity, because I have no idea, what are UA's union dues per month?
Get a life, first of all you are making a few too many assumptions, I dont whine about anything as a rule, im pretty happy with my job, i get lots of good letters, and quite a few applause certificates, even tho i dont turn them in, they are crammed in a drawer. I non rev to Europe alot and I know your type, grouchy, cranky, bitter messed up hair, no makeup, sit in the last row and overall seem to hate their job and the pax are afraid to ask for anything, Ive noticed you seem to be in a bad mood and constantly need to argue with someone on this forum. Maybe you need to get laid or something but with your attitude good luck!! APFA is a crappy union you need to get over that, get therapy or something! BTW I dont need to pass out cards with the merger comimg we will have a vote, this aint my first rodeo. Anyway you are joining WT on the ignore list so find someone else to argue with you cranky POS!

My main concern is that I happen to believe it's a labor relations time-bomb.

The current situation right now with AMR,...... is a labor relations time bomb. Contracts or not....its really bad. Labor being sold to the lowest bidder will haunt this Airline and the only cure is new Leadership period.

The current situation right now with AMR,...... is a labor relations time bomb. Contracts or not....its really bad. Labor being sold to the lowest bidder will haunt this Airline and the only cure is new Leadership period.

The only cure is good contracts. New leaders under bad deals won't be able to motivate us any more than the bad ones we have. We aren't kids willing to listen to anyone's fairy tales any more. No deals, no wheels.

It appears someone has taken their medication tonight. Sweet dreams!
Why is it if you question someone's wihning and complaining, they get overly defensive and start to blab about all their supposed good deeds in life? All while putting themselves on a pedestal while taking pot shots at what they think you represent. I guess if you are unhappy in life it is easier to put others down instead of focusing on your own flaws and areas that need help. I don't understand that mentality. If you were really that good of a person, you wouldn't feel the need to promote yourself. Those that do are usually the problem in most organizations. They are usually the irritating, whining and obnoxious coworker who is so miserable to be around that people try to avoid them like the plague. I'm sorry you feel like I'm arguing with you when I point out your flawed logic and laziness when it comes to finding answers. If I see unwarranted complaining and total made up facts, you will hear about it. If it makes you feel better to "ignore" me on here, great! I hope your day is that much better. It still doesn't help correct any/all the problems you have. Trying to have a rational conversation with someone on here is the least of your problems at that point.

The only cure is good contracts. New leaders under bad deals won't be able to motivate us any more than the bad ones we have. We aren't kids willing to listen to anyone's fairy tales any more. No deals, no wheels.

And yet, there are all these people who believe that US, who has long lead the industry in terms of low pay, is suddenly going to wake up and start paying more?

Sorry, don't buy that.

As for the revenue issue... We are in a recession, and a merger isn't going to stop that. Companies are reducing headcount, part timers are seeing hours reduced to avoid the 30 hour definition as full time due to Obamacare, people are already spending less due to the reinstatement of the social security tax rates, and it's hard to imagine that taxes won't be going up in general at the state and local levels to fund all of the unfunded public pension obligations or whatever spending stops flowing out of DC and to the states.

All of that leads to less and less growth activity by business, and less disposable income for consumers. Bad signs for any airline.

A merger won't fix any of that. It eliminates a brand. That's it.

I suspect US joining oneworld would have the same revenue impact as a merger, and with far less disruption.

Latest posts

Back