RIP: JFK-CCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
JFK-Caracas is gone. Last flight is 30 September. American Airlines provided the only non-stop service between New York City and Caracas (Continental dropped the route last year).

Thats news, I just read the other day. It was being reduced to 5 days a week. Maybe had they ran it as a 757, instead of a 3 cl*** 767. They may have made it. Fares are so low in that market its not surprising. The economy sucks and with there elected dictator. No one knows what to expect.

We have at least droped by 1/2 the number of daily seats to CCS. Same number of flights, smaller planes.

I also read where SJU-CCS will be down to 3 days a week.

Yup, it has been reduced to 5x a week right now, and then it is a goner. Hopefully it will come back when the economy improves. AA has really cut back to Venezuela. On 15Dec01 (before 9.11) the scheds had 6x daily to MIA (one from MAR), daily to DFW, JFK, and SJU; and 5x a week to FLL. In October it's 5x daily MIA (one from MAR), daily DFW, and 3x a week SJU. SJU-CCS does go back to daily in December. And that's not to mention that Porlamar (Eagle from SJU) and Valencia have not been launched as planned. Too bad. The next hot-spot in LatAm is supposed to be Liberia, Costa Rica. Hopefully AA will be looking into it in '03.

Airport code is LIR. Interestingly, Northwest flies there nonstop from MSP on Saturdays during the winter season. If that can work, I'd imagine service from MIA---with feed from across the country, not to mention Europe---would be very successful. Costa Rica is a hot destination, certainly more so than Venezuela these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.