root cause of the problem

Well said. The past is over,done. We have what we have for 6 years. Take it or leave it. To come to work for the next 6 years miserable and complaning about what the company did is sad. Forget it. We need to move forward and make AA the best airline in the industry. We have no other option.

and the worst part...

5) You could be a great mechanic/clerk/agent and/or lifelong friends with your entire crew, yet the moment you take off the uniform and put on a tie, those same guys will treat you like a piece of crap and act as though you couldn't wipe your own ass without having an email from the MOD telling you which direction to wipe and for how long.

Management owns the first four items, but the last one is squarely in your court, guys. I've seen it happen too many times to be a coincidence or an isolated event.

Next time you're wondering why you can't get qualified supervisors on the front line, take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself what you do on a daily basis that might keep you from wanting to be in their shoes.

That only happens when the person who took the job was a POS worker who expects everyone else to be just the opposite of what he was when he was on the floor. I've seen guys who were good and respected workers go into management and still looked upon the same way, I've seen dicks go in and they are still looked upon as being dicks. Its the fact that now they have authority that illicits a different response from their peers. So, what was your experience? Some should look in the mirror before they take the job.

Reactions: 1 person
when danny martinez came up with the brain dead idea of just managers, and made supervisors interview thats when the nail was driven into the coffin. that's when any half way competent supervisor was run off

AGAIN IF COMPANY STOOGES ARE LISTENING HIRE COMPETENT SUPERVISORS NOT BROTHER IN LAWS AND DAY LABORERS........TO FILL JOBS YOU MADE SO UNDESIRABLE THAT'S ALL THAT WOULD TAKE THEM.

hey another suggestion stop the liers club where they all have to lie to protect their livelihood. try a little honesty lord knows you guys don't know too much about that....
And, Danny Martinez is laughing all the way to the bank with AAR doing the B checks.

The liars club will continue today, tomorrow, and 6 years from now. Frank Lorenzo destroyed EA....Carty, Arpey & now Horton will destroy AA. Liars club goes all the way up to the top. I have absolutely NO faith in AA management. When AA finally decides to cleans house of incompetent management...the union....and, the slugs we work with....only then will I have confidence in this company. Too bad I'll be dead by that time!!

Take a look at this chart here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp . Almost 50 VPs, good god, you've got to be kidding. Now take a look through there, and point out how many are just fluff jobs for empty suits. The first obvious waste is the "VP of diversity and leadership strategies" position - what a waste, and a complete failure. All these tools, and they still have to bring in outside consulting groups to tell them how to manage an airline. They better not bring Crandall back, because he would fire every one of them.

Well obviously they will need these and a couple more VPs. VP of outsourcing is a good start...........

Anyone know exactly how many VP's are at AA these days?

It is usually listed in the back of the annual report. Somewhere around 42-45, which is about the same as you'll find at WN and more or less all the other large carriers. That number will likely shrink from what Horton said.

It is usually listed in the back of the annual report. Somewhere around 42-45, which is about the same as you'll find at WN and more or less all the other large carriers. That number will likely shrink from what Horton said.
Since AA got rid of Arpey, Reding and Ford there are 47 left (including Horton) with one "open" slot.
There are another 4 at Eagle. WN has 36.
Both numbers off the websites

Since AA got rid of Arpey, Reding and Ford there are 47 left (including Horton) with one "open" slot.
There are another 4 at Eagle. WN has 36.
Both numbers off the websites

Yeah, but for all intents & purposes, the four hub VP's are really just glorified GMs. They don't determine strategy.

What's also interesting is that all but about four or five on that list are AA lifers. No view of the world other than red white & blue, which is why you need consultants... someone has to be able to say how it is done elsewhere in the world...

Yeah, but for all intents & purposes, the four hub VP's are really just glorified GMs. They don't determine strategy.

What's also interesting is that all but about four or five on that list are AA lifers. No view of the world other than red white & blue, which is why you need consultants... someone has to be able to say how it is done elsewhere in the world...

That tells me AA's been living in the 70s & 80s for decades.
Talk about nobody willing to make the tough calls & "correct the course". Just stunning to me...

Next time you're wondering why you can't get qualified supervisors on the front line, take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself what you do on a daily basis that might keep you from wanting to be in their shoes.

Are you suggesting that the mechanics are what makes a supe job unpleasant?

That is not what I hear from the supes with whom I am friendly. Quite the opposite, in fact.

How many line maint supes do you know?

No, the mechs/clerks/agents are not the only factor, Wrench... It all goes back to the "no single raindrop is responsible for the flood" concept, though... There's not much appealing about the job to start with, so if you know you're likely to take crap from being on the Dark Side (especially if you've given crap to guys who've done it), why would you be compelled to put yourself thru the same thing?

I used to know a few line supvs, but that was way back in the Crandall days and when I was still living in Fort Worth. I still know a couple L3 & L4's out on the ramp and in the terminal.

There's no avoiding the dynamics of a friendship changing when your drinking buddy becomes your boss. You simply can't openly discuss the same stuff anymore without putting one of you into an uncomfortable position (do I tell X that he's going to be fired, do I tell Y that one of the guys is sleeping with the admin manager's wife?)

While I was interviewing candidates to replace me at AA, half the guys in my department put in for the job. The first question I'd ask after the niceties (there were others in the reviewer panel) was "hey, I know you and XXXXX are lunch/drinking buddies. How would you go about telling him he was being let go?"

I didn't ask the question because I was a short timer in the mood to be a prick -- that situation is simply a reality of crossing the line between peer and supervisor. Some guys know that going in, probably moreso on the front lines than in management (although, after 14 years of regular purges of the bottom 5-10% in HDQ management, it was still surprising to see that a few had never considered that situation).

E you miss the point. Yea the jump is difficult enough do you also have to deal with the back stabbing and lack of backing from above?
I refer you to the article in the thread news flash aa worst managed .company....

E you miss the point. Yea the jump is difficult enough do you also have to deal with the back stabbing and lack of backing from above?
I refer you to the article in the thread news flash aa worst managed .company....

No, I didn't miss the point at all.... When you know you're going to get stabbed in the back from both sides, the only reason you'd either have to be really motivated or really ignorant to make the jump.

I could really care less about the Time article -- it's not worth wasting my time reading something written by a "journalist" who is less knowledgeable about the topic than a newhire airline employee...

Latest posts