S&p Downgrades Us Airways Again

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Reuters
S&P cuts US Airways debt ratings
Wednesday May 5, 12:30 pm ET

NEW YORK, May 5 (Reuters) - Standard & Poor's on Wednesday downgraded its ratings on US Airways Group Inc. (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News), citing increased competition from low-fare competitors.

The ratings agency cut its corporate credit rating on the company to 'CCC+' from 'B-'. The No. 7 U.S. airline's ratings outlook is negative, S&P said.

"The downgrade was based on the difficult challenge faced by US Airways as it seeks to rapidly lower its operating expenses in response to mounting pressure from low-cost competitors," said S&P analyst Philip Baggaley in a statement.

Jim

This news will obviously be addressed at today's Labor Advisory Council meeting where management is presenting the new business plan.

Time is short...

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Here is a more complete report:

S&P cuts US Airways ratings, outlook is negative
Wednesday May 5, 12:22 pm ET

(The following statement was released by the rating agency)

NEW YORK, May 5 - Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said today it lowered its ratings on US Airways Group Inc. and its US Airways Inc. subsidiary, including lowering the corporate credit ratings to 'CCC+' from 'B-', and removed all ratings from CreditWatch, where they were placed on Dec. 10, 2003. The rating outlook is negative.

"The downgrade was based on the difficult challenge faced by US Airways as it seeks to rapidly lower its operating expenses in response to mounting pressure from low-cost competitors," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Philip Baggaley. The company is seeking further major cost-saving concessions from its labor groups, who already took pay cuts in 2002 and 2003, and failure to conclude those negotiations successfully over the next several quarters could force US Airways to undertake significant asset sales and/or file for bankruptcy a second time. During this process there is also some risk that US Airways will, as part of its overall restructuring, seek to renegotiate public debt obligations. Near-term liquidity is adequate, with $978 million of unrestricted cash at March 31, 2004.

Ratings on US Airways Inc.'s various enhanced equipment trust certificates, excepting those that are insured, were lowered, as well. Downgrades were in most cases more extensive than the one-notch downgrade of US Airways' corporate credit rating, reflecting decreased confidence that the airline would be able to reorganize successfully if it were to enter a second bankruptcy proceeding. These obligations are, however, backed by modern technology Airbus aircraft that are considered good collateral.

On April 19, 2004, president and CEO David Siegel resigned and was succeeded by a member of the company's board of directors, Bruce Lakefield. Siegel's resignation was apparently due in part to unwillingness of the airline's unions to consider further labor cost concessions without a change in senior management. The turnaround plan being pursued by the new CEO appears to be broadly similar to that sought by his predecessor, and includes, in addition to cost cuts, changes in the airline's strategy and operations. Long-term prospects for US Airways remain difficult, given the company's limited route network and increasing exposure to low-cost competition. Accordingly, acquisition by another airline or some other form of close integration into a broader alliance remains the best ultimate solution for US Airways.

Ratings anticipate that US Airways will succeed in securing material labor cost concessions, and that it will retain access to committed financing for most or all of its planned deliveries of regional jets. Failure to achieve these, or a deterioration in financial results, could prompt a further downgrade.

Complete ratings information is available to subscribers of RatingsDirect, Standard & Poor's Web-based credit analysis system, at www.ratingsdirect.com. All ratings affected by this rating action can be found on Standard & Poor's public Web site at www.standardandpoors.com; under Credit Ratings in the left navigation bar, select Find Ratings, then Credit Ratings Search.

savyinvestor said:
Well Captain , CWA and IAM have nothing to give. AFA I'm not sure about. Looks like your $200,000 per year is about to become $100,000. Still not bad. Savy
That is a jerky thing to say. Quite frankly, the pilots should not be subsidizing any other work group. How can you look at somebody that's taken a 60% paycut (lost their pension) when you've taken maybe 20% paycut and say, "You need to give more?" That sucks! I think the pilots need to say we'll give, when you give. It has to be fair. Right now, EVERYBODY is going to have to chip in, like it or not. No one group should be expected to take the lion's share of paycuts. Put yourself in their shoes, would you?

With the ratings cut GE will probably wait until the announcement of the LOA 91 results to determine the future of the RJ financing. If LOA 91 is voted down I'd bet you'll see the financing pulled.

LOA 91 will pass OVERWHELMINGLY. It will be a landslided pass. To even speculate otherwise is wasting time.

EyeInTheSky said:
That is a jerky thing to say. Quite frankly, the pilots should not be subsidizing any other work group. How can you look at somebody that's taken a 60% paycut (lost their pension) when you've taken maybe 20% paycut and say, "You need to give more?" That sucks! I think the pilots need to say we'll give, when you give. It has to be fair. Right now, EVERYBODY is going to have to chip in, like it or not. No one group should be expected to take the lion's share of paycuts. Put yourself in their shoes, would you?
I have. Looks like the company wants to ELIMINATE the mechanics, CWA is already at poverty wages, and like I said I'm not sure about the AFA. So faced with that the only group left is the pilots. PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

savyinvestor said:
I have. Looks like the company wants to ELIMINATE the mechanics, CWA is already at poverty wages, and like I said I'm not sure about the AFA. So faced with that the only group left is the pilots. PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR
oh and lets not forget about the outsourcing of selected cities from mainline to the mainline express circus!!! i mean with a top pay (after 12 yrs) is only 13.00 an hr so how much was saved from that and then squandered away when two top dudes left and collected their millions???

It indeed might be hard to judge AFA. I know last vote, Pit Base was the only base to vote NO. But since this new Reserve Time Balancing Crap went into effect Nov. 1st, many if not all most all Reserves have taken a major hit. We have taken close to a 40% paycut all ready. Blockholders may vote yes, but they best beware, they could very soon find themselves on Reserve. From my understanding and of course you know how rumors are, if you are under 15 years, your are history. Also, a good friend of mine, told me this week, that she was told by a LEC member that come Oct. mainline Pit is gone. As always, since I have been here it is nothing more than WAIT AND SEE, over and over and over. I feel I am stuck in a TIME WARP. I wish those guys in CCY would quit playing with themselves. ENOUGH ALREADY!!! :shock: :angry:

Well, I don’t think any of this news is a surprise but certainly USA320PILOT response is lackluster why does this guy post this negative stuff then sugar coat it with don’t shoot the messenger.

USA320PILOT here is some news for you CWA will not give so if you think posting your add on babble (cut and paste) will scare us your wrong it will come from the pilots and USAIR will post it’s first profit maybe next quarter and if the fuel cost come down witch I don’t think they will it could be a great quarter.

OH and by the way if they hadn’t bought all those RJ’s we would have squeaked out a profit this quarter you should read the hole 1st quarter report.

You are the biggest gloom and doom guy I have ever had the misfortune of reading….

P.S …..I may buy a few shares just throw the dice and see what happens.

savyinvestor said:
Oh please, lets hold the melodrama down to a dull roar. "CWA is at poverty level." Give me a break. Many people would be thrilled to make $15.00-$18.00 an hour for a relatively unskilled positions. If you think you are at poverty level now, I hate to see you if U goes under and your out pounding the pavement. Not that I wish that on anyone but Please!