Salt Lake City-Tokyo

Getting us back on topic again. SLC-NRT sounds like a very good addition. Another strong rumor is BOS-NRT. BOS has been screaming for service to Japan. I think DL will be first to the plate.

Getting us back on topic again. SLC-NRT sounds like a very good addition. Another strong rumor is BOS-NRT. BOS has been screaming for service to Japan. I think DL will be first to the plate.

there is a reason no one is doing BOS-NRT, can you guess why?? B/C it doesn't make money!!! Have at it, you will lose your arse, just like SLC-NRT... Most airlines tend to utilize a/c on their most profitable routes, so this wouldn't seem like a good idea.

there is a reason no one is doing BOS-NRT, can you guess why?? B/C it doesn't make money!!! Have at it, you will lose your arse, just like SLC-NRT... Most airlines tend to utilize a/c on their most profitable routes, so this wouldn't seem like a good idea.

Hi- Hi C

If I can give my 2cents...I can see both routes working. As you know the Tokyo Hub for NW has always been successful because of the huge Intra-Asia connecting resources. Therefore, it gives multi ways of filling the planes from let's say SLC/ BOS. Hell...we even made LAS NRT work until JAL and JAS jumped in.

NW stopped JFK /NRT because with the present ac/ the market was over saturated...profit margin thin to none. Because the BOS /NRT wide open....it could work.

BOS was even considered once before by NW prior to 9/11. Becuase of the NRT Hub, we have the ability to make city pairs work where others can not...i.e., Portland/ NRT. I believe with Delt'a large presence at BOS it very well could support a 787 daily to Tokyo. SLC as a HUB could pull the Western Mountain region traffic to ASIA not just NRT, just as I think Denver could for United (although UAL does not have the large connecting set up as NW because they have focused on non stops)

At the end of the day...it is about profit. If it is there...the route will happen.

to me it seems it would be a good idea to restart JFK NRT with a 747-400 initially because of the ability to connect Japan and Europe through the established international routes DAL already has present at JFK and feed BOS with enhanced shuttle service from JFK.. if their attempt is to create a global airline, JFK would be a good place to restart Asia(with combined routes/hub the post merger will offer at JFK instead of over fly JFK on NRT BOS nonstop).... maybe pull some 330 off intra Asia...put that at SLC and replace the intra asia with a 767...and then go and find some used 777(since the 787 is delayed for a while)
and utilize 777 on some routes offered with previously 747-400 service or vice/versa?

if they are making international flights successful at the SLC hub, it probably would be a good idea to offer and connect that hub with Asia, in my opinion.