same plane, different birds?

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
Passengers report scare on earlier US Airways Flight 1549
Story Highlights
Three say US Airways Flight 1549 nearly made emergency landing earlier last week
Two days before last week's crash-landing, passengers report loud bang on flight
US Airways refuses comment on report
One passenger says he sent a text message to his wife: "I love you"

(CNN) -- Two days before US Airways Flight 1549 crashed into the Hudson River, passengers on the same route and same aircraft say they heard a series of loud bangs and the flight crew told them they could have to make an emergency landing, CNN has learned.

He said the incident occurred over Newark, New Jersey, soon after the plane -- also flying as Flight 1549 -- had taken off from LaGuardia Airport in New York.

"It seemed so loud, like luggage was hitting the side but times a thousand. It startled everyone on the plane," Jeffrey said. "We started looking at each other. The stewardesses started running around. They made an announcement that 'everyone heard the noise, we're going to turn around and head back to LaGuardia and check out what happened.'

Expert Aviation Consulting, an Indianapolis, Indiana, private consulting firm that includes commercial airline pilots on its staff, said the plane that landed in the Hudson was the same one as Flight 1549 from LaGuardia two days earlier. See images from the rescue in last week's crash »

"EAC confirms that US Airways ship number N106US flew on January 13, 2009, and January 15, 2009, with the same flight number of AWE 1549 from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte Douglas [International] Airport in North Carolina," Expert Aviation said in a statement to CNN.

The company said it checked with contacts in the aviation industry to confirm that it was the same plane.

The National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the crash, did not return calls regarding this matter Monday. It has released the tail number of the downed Airbus A-320, which is N106US.

While overjoyed over the positive outcome, I reserve judgment on aviation incidents until the investigation is completed. Things are rarely as they seem and it's just prudent to let the facts play out. The media really grabbed ahold of this story and has run with it. I'm always skeptical when media outlets determine the precise cause of accidents the second they happen. It's always wild speculation involved and a good deal of sensationalism.

I always find the NTSB reports to be wonderful reads and I look forward to this one.

I just heard a short clip on the local news station about this. I bet people are just trying to cause trouble! They're just angry because they had to pay $2 for a bottle of water! :lol: I hope so anyway because that would be really embarrassing if the reports said there was a mechanical with the airplane. There have been a couple of times where we have had to divert or turn around and return to the airport due to a mechanical problem that happened during the flight but if there is a known problem most pilots won't fly it if it isn't fixed and I sure as hades won't be flying around on a broken airplane. I hate drama queens! I'm sure the reporters are loving it though and unfortunately there are a lot of people who believe anything and everything and now will think that US Airways isn't safe because a couple of pax are complaining to the media instead of actually listening to some factual evidence.

unfortunately there are a lot of people who believe anything and everything and now will think that US Airways isn't safe because a couple of pax are complaining to the media instead of actually listening to some factual evidence.

A little journalism 101 for you....There really hasn't been a lot of factual evidence to speak of. We've seen surveillance videotapes and heard a few news conferences from the various parties, but no official information is really out there beyond acknowledging that the plane hit the river and everyone survived. The investigation is just starting and we won't get "factual evidence" for a very long time. The NTSB will leak information at various stages of the investigation but, as of now, everyone is under gag order. They've interrupted the flow of information by stopping everyone from talking. In doing so, the media is deprived of new material. At this stage, with nothing new to report, they're going into that stage of the story where they start tearing each other apart.

Take with a grain of salt anything presented to you by the mass media. Reserve judgment. It's the intelligent thing to do.

A little journalism 101 for you....There really hasn't been a lot of factual evidence to speak of. We've seen surveillance videotapes and heard a few news conferences from the various parties, but no official information is really out there beyond acknowledging that the plane hit the river and everyone survived. The investigation is just starting and we won't get "factual evidence" for a very long time. The NTSB will leak information at various stages of the investigation but, as of now, everyone is under gag order. They've interrupted the flow of information by stopping everyone from talking. In doing so, the media is deprived of new material. At this stage, with nothing new to report, they're going into that stage of the story where they start tearing each other apart.

Take with a grain of salt anything presented to you by the mass media. Reserve judgment. It's the intelligent thing to do.

Precisely why I refuse to watch the news anymore. I'm so fed up with the media and their agendas. I don't believe anything they say. They just guess, speculate, and then try to tell me how and what to think. No thank you!

Wow, you lead an exciting life. Whatever happened to Danielle Steele novels? Hey, if you're 'into the NTSB horror thing' may I suggest Stephen King.

Later,
Eye

I like reading them because I'm a frequent flyer and I like to know what goes on. Our government spends billions of dollars on matters of aviation and I enjoy air travel. It's not about horror, it's about an interest in post-incident analysis of aviation accidents. I'm sure there are many people like me. I'm not going to apologize for being interested. American Airlines Flight 191 has always interested me. That involved the DC-10 engine mounting issues and was really interesting to read how a series of tragic, systematic failures led to such a horrific tragedy.

I like reading them because I'm a frequent flyer and I like to know what goes on. Our government spends billions of dollars on matters of aviation and I enjoy air travel. It's not about horror, it's about an interest in post-incident analysis of aviation accidents. I'm sure there are many people like me. I'm not going to apologize for being interested. American Airlines Flight 191 has always interested me. That involved the DC-10 engine mounting issues and was really interesting to read how a series of tragic, systematic failures led to such a horrific tragedy.

Bobster,

Hey, I get it. We live in a world full of control-freaks and know-it-alls that live to digest every kernel of information on the planet. That has got to be exhausting. I am a frequent flier myself and still enjoy the 'art of aviation.' Still, you won't see me cuddled up in bed reading an NTSB report. Sometimes it's best not to know all the gory details. You can always get the "Cliff's Notes" NTSB version via the news.

I am not a crew member and when I plunk my hard-earned dollars down for a flight I am entrusting the airline's crew to get me their safe. So far, so good.

Later,
Eye

I apologize for being intellectual and inquisitive, if that offends anyone. What interests me may not interest you. The technical competence and expertise that is evident in these reports makes me a more confident air traveler, if nothing else.

I wonder about this story. <_<

I just looked it up and that flight on the 13th didn't go back to LGA.

It left on time and arrived on time.

<_<
The article did not say they returned to LGA.

It said the crew stated that they might have to return to LGA, might being the operative word.

What would be interesting is if the logs (yeah, I know) show that the loud noise (probable compressor stall) was written up..... on landing.