same plane, different birds?

Most of the 320 (IAE V2500) compressor stalls that I have been involved with relate to either a bleed valve failure/malfunction or an EEC failure, leading to a bleed valve malfunction. The engine will usually be recoverable in these cases but when MX investigates they will find a distinct failure mode.

It appears the CFM engine in question was boroscoped but no specific failure mode was identified. I.E. "could not duplicate"......

Here's The Link to the Associated Press Story

Article

So my question is how does a compressor stall 2 days earlier impact on the events of the 15th and our feathered friends that were ingested apparently by both engines?

Or does it?

PB, It doesn't. It's pure fodder

PB, It doesn't. It's pure fodder

Not sure if I'd go to that extreme of a conclusion either. I.E. Wait until said engine is torn down and looked at etc.....might be surprised what is found by the NTSB...

Maybe Nothing, Maybe something...

Most of the 320 (IAE V2500) compressor stalls that I have been involved with relate to either a bleed valve failure/malfunction or an EEC failure, leading to a bleed valve malfunction. The engine will usually be recoverable in these cases but when MX investigates they will find a distinct failure mode.

It appears the CFM engine in question was boroscoped but no specific failure mode was identified. I.E. "could not duplicate"......
A CFM56 compressor stall is a significant event. GE makes there engines with extreme compressor control (they are made to prevent stalls). These stalls usually occured at TOD or off idle. They are not built to withstand compressor stalls as PW's are. I know a stall at NWA was an instant borescope job, and a complete check of the compressor control system.

I remember the JT8's coughing and burping and all you had to do was a visual, plus pulling the bleed duct caps to check for blades!

I know a stall at NWA was an instant borescope job, and a complete check of the compressor control system.
I've got two deformed (due to compressor stall) prat blades to show you. Prat engines are no more bullet proof than any other.

Any compressor stall, in any engine, should demand a borescope, at least. Axial flow engines can take a lot of damage and still run. Doesn't mean they can take much further abuse.

Latest posts