Sea King replacement

You know I can''t resist my two cents worth.

May the best helicopter win. I could give my pro Eurocopter side of things, but why? Look at the competition, it speaks for itself.

A very good friend (since deceased) and an engineer, once said to me that he'd feel real safe in a helicopter when he heard the Captain yell to the FO, "feather no. 4"....and the FO replies,"Rodger Sir, which side?
9.gif
As he is now passed on, I'll speak for him and myself....."I'll take 3 engines over 2 ANY day and I don't give a 'crap' who makes the damn thing". Specially, if mission can be completed and the aircraft flown normally on 2 engines. Strap some MP's 'butts' into that aircraft and put them 125 miles out over a raging North Atlantic. Then we'd see how long the discussion about which helicopter to purchase would continue. They don't have to do that, so they don't give a 'shi*'. If they had their way, the CAF would still be flying S-55's.....with Garretts.

[SIZE= 14pt]Grits to keep Sea Kings[/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 9pt]
By [/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt]STEPHANIE RUBEC[/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt] - Sun Media[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]Tue, May 27, 2003[/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt] [/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 9pt]OTTAWA -- The federal government has secretly approved a $307-million maintenance contract to keep the aging Sea King helicopters flying for another 11 years, Sun Media has learned. [/SIZE][SIZE= 9pt][/SIZE]

Full story:[color=" #3333ff msobidifontsize 120pt"]
[url="http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/05/27/97011.html"]http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/05/27/97011.html
[/color][/URL]

[SIZE= 14pt]
Government chopper buy rigged: pilot[/SIZE]
Extended deadline said to aid Cormorant's competitors

The Ottawa Citizen
David Pugliese
Sunday, May 25, 2003

Even if aerospace companies can quickly deliver new choppers to replace the military's aging Sea Kings, the federal government doesn't want them.
According to the requirements for the Sea King replacement program, the government is stipulating that it will not take delivery of a new helicopter until four years after it signs a contract.
"This situation is ludicrous," said retired lieutenant-general Larry Ashley, a former head of the Canadian air force and a retired Sea King pilot.

Full story:
[url="http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=EEA52C4D-02CF-43ED-B1EE-A449042E05AB"]http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=EE...EE-A449042E05AB[/URL]

[url="http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2003/05/26/f181.raw.html"]http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2003/05/26/f181.raw.html[/URL]

[url="http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2003/05/26/95981.html"]http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/LondonFreeP...5/26/95981.html[/URL]

Interesting perspectives from Stephanie Rubec. She reads this forum and PPRune for her stories on aviation. Nothing wrong with that but a lot of what aviation folks say to each other in these forums is by no means private or unheard out in the public.

As for me, I''ll stick with Igor. (If youre a plank driver ask your helicopter friend to explain that one to you)

[SIZE= 14pt]Sea King makes emergency landing[/SIZE]
Canadian Press
Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - Page A6

Halifax — One of the military's aging Sea King helicopters made an emergency landing Monday after a warning light flashed on as it flew over Halifax harbour on a training mission.
Fire trucks rushed to the emergency-landing site, where the Sea King put down about two minutes after the pilot first saw the warning light.

[SIZE= 12pt]

[url="http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030603.wsea0603/BNStory/National/?query=helicopters"]http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/...ery=helicopters
[/URL][/SIZE]

Speaking of buying new helicopters, I heard you procured some old subs from UK, so you might as well put in a bid for Royal Norwegian Air Forces Lynx Mk. 86 and Sea king Mk. 43B, they''ll be phased out in another two or three years, im sure you''ll get a good deal...

Winnie

Those are two completely different stories.

The submarines are reasonable good submarines with a good useful life ahead. Some problems due to a few years of inactivity that can be solved as long as they keep working with them.

The helicopters are in the very end of their useful life. I would even say they are almost dead...

Norway recently bought 14 NH-90 (plus 10 options) and selected a specialized version of ITT Industries’ AN/ALQ-211 Suite of Integrated RF Countermeasures (SIRFC) which includes an Electronic Support Measures (ESM) capability along with some other very sophisticated stuff...

Do you know if they are British built Sea Kings ? If so, those Sea Kings may still be good for some heli-logging in BC provided they will be sold by the pound... (or the Kilo)
The Lynx's may be good for drill moving in the prairies but the cost of spare parts must be a nightmare... unless they also have lots of them, also sold by the pound...

Winnie

The submarines are reasonable good submarines with a good useful life ahead. Some problems due to a few years of inactivity that can be solved as long as they keep working with them.

The helicopters are in the very end of their useful life. I would even say they are almost dead...

Norway recently bought 14 NH-90 (plus 10 options) and selected a specialized version of ITT Industries’ AN/ALQ-211 Suite of Integrated RF Countermeasures (SIRFC) which includes an Electronic Support Measures (ESM) capability along with some other very sophisticated stuff...

Do you know if they are British built Sea Kings ? If so, those Sea Kings may still be good for some heli-logging in BC provided they will be sold by the pound... (or the Kilo)
The Lynx's may be good for drill moving in the prairies but the cost of spare parts must be a nightmare... unless they also have lots of them, also sold by the pound...

Winnie

Winnie

Winnie

Winnie

Winnie

Winnie

Back