selecting a flight school

sumeet

Mar 29, 2006
Hi guys,

The queston is regarding my sis who is in India.

Now I went through lota schools and well my selection has boiled down to these 8 schools:

1.American School of aviation
2. Anglo-American School
3. Ari BEn Aviator
4.Epic Aviation
5. Europe American aviation
6.MAzzei Flying Service
7.Pheonix East
8. San diego Flight training

Now I have personally called them and they all say that they are good and they have Indian students.

But how do I really know which one is better and which one is not good and are dishonest , just trying to make some money.

Thanks guys
Sumeet

DUDE! I hope to heaven that you are going back to India or else where to fly airplanes cause your chances of getting a job here........slim to none! Well, then again you could get one of those fine jobs that AIRINC says is a JET JOB......CRJ co-pilot forever! 1000 dollars a month. Surely you are a smart person....take computer classes and start your own company building web sites and hosting....you will make much more money and be your own boss. Anyone that goes into aviation here in the states and wants a good job (in aviation) is just NUTS! I have twenty years at a major....I wish I had chosen computers!
If you choose airplanes.....you are asking for pain. Ruined dreams, hurt family and low wages for the rest of your life and no pension to boot! BE SMART>>>CHOOSE COMPUTERS!

[I think they are all good schools. Hopefully you can settle on one and enjoy a great and prosperous career in aviation. Starting off in aviation can be very difficult and frustrating. However, It is not always about making the big bucks, it is about doing what you love. I started off in the business world making 15K a year and made five times that 2 years later and was guaranteed nothing. Wish I would have been into aviation before College and I would have gone that route 100%, because that is what I love.

But if you go to a good school like Embry-Riddle i'm sure the job you get will pay a nice salary, right?

Guys - Don't listen to nwa400...just a typical cry baby airline pilot. boohoo my pension...boohoo my salary...boohoo work rules. Just poor planning on their part.

Go corporate - I fly a G550...work 10 days a month/150K year - benefits WAY better than airlines. Just stay positive, work hard, and don't become a cry baby pilot like that guy.

Guys - Don't listen to nwa400...just a typical cry baby airline pilot. boohoo my pension...boohoo my salary...boohoo work rules. Just poor planning on their part.

Go corporate - I fly a G550...work 10 days a month/150K year - benefits WAY better than airlines. Just stay positive, work hard, and don't become a cry baby pilot like that guy.

What exactly is corporate, is that flying for companies like Fed Ex and UPS? WHat company(s) do you fly for?

My dad said he's rather me not go into the airlines because they're not too stable and he said he'd rather me fly for ups or something like that. What do you reccommend.

Many corporations own their own jets to fly their execs to meetings, etc. Companies like Johnson & Johnson, Phizer, American Express, Citicorp, GE, Walmart, and thousands of others have fleets of jets. Execs don't want to deal with the security delays, etc that airlines experience. Biz Av is really doing well right now - you'll have more control over your own destiny and will be able to move laterally for more money and better schedule. I've done charter, airlines, and corporate - corporate is the way to go...stay positive, don't burn any bridges, and by all means - don't listen to bitter people who don't control their own destiny! Good luck kid. (PS - be passionate about it....it goes along way)

Many corporations own their own jets to fly their execs to meetings, etc. Companies like Johnson & Johnson, Phizer, American Express, Citicorp, GE, Walmart, and thousands of others have fleets of jets. Execs don't want to deal with the security delays, etc that airlines experience. Biz Av is really doing well right now - you'll have more control over your own destiny and will be able to move laterally for more money and better schedule. I've done charter, airlines, and corporate - corporate is the way to go...stay positive, don't burn any bridges, and by all means - don't listen to bitter people who don't control their own destiny! Good luck kid. (PS - be passionate about it....it goes along way)
Thanks Bond-
It's refreshing to see another side of the story of being a professional pilot. :up:
My question to you is how to build that quality time between flight schooling ending with a few hundred hours and landing the corporate job, no pun intended? Would you recommend getting the Turbo hours at a regional if you can live on rice and beans or what do you recommend? Any advice is welocome, please continue to be candid, it's appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks Bond-
It's refreshing to see another side of the story of being a professional pilot. :up:
My question to you is how to build that quality time between flight schooling ending with a few hundred hours and landing the corporate job, no pun intended? Would you recommend getting the Turbo hours at a regional if you can live on rice and beans or what do you recommend? Any advice is welocome, please continue to be candid, it's appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

This is a little late to respond, sorry. However, Now is the time if you want to fly jets. You no longer need to waste time flight instructing. You can get a multi-commericial rating and either buy 300 or so flight hours to get a total of 500-600 total hours with 100 multi or get a CFI and instruct for the time. Either way you only need 5 or 600 hours to get a jet FO job and you don't need to flight instruct for a thousand more hours. The turbine time is more valuable than the dual given time when you find the corporate job you want. In short get the turbine time and its not rice and beans time. Year one $20,000 year two $30,000 plus. It is no longer the 12 and 13 thousand dollar range. These low hiring minimums at the regionals won't last forever.

FACTS: CHECK THIS OUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayMaswju1A
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1fOl-_hgwc...ted&search=
CRY BABY? I dont think so. My only reason for attemting to speak some TRUTH is to help out the younger guys and gals and not have them go into this with visions of grandure! So I guess the TRUTHS that I have spoken about career expectations/salaries/pensions is crying (to you)? To you.....it may be but if it were you that had spent 20-38 years only to watch it all go away at the hands of some greedy person.....I believe you would want the young people to watch out for these things also.
Be my guest and go right ahead and spend the money and time. One thing you are not telling this person seeking to become a pilot is that your job. "G550" "150K a year" is that your job is very very very rare! 150K a year/10-12 days a month flying/all the extra perks/ great bosses/home holidays.....Dude, you are a one in 100,000 and good for you! It is great to hear that someone in aviation has a great job but because you have a great job....dont try to twist facts! Be honest and tell this person the truth and dont just go on emotion about flying airplanes. In the end the feeling of flying airplanes or "LOVE" of flying airplanes can be found flying your own in stead of flying someone elses. Will the "LOVE" of aviation help when your wife leaves you? Will it pay your bills? Will it take away the pain of being gone 18 Christmases out of 20?
Ok, "PLEASE" go and talk to MANY regional guys that have been with the company for more than a year and ask them! I also flew corporate for 2 years. Go ask the corporate guy that is flying his rump off and waiting hours on end in airport lounges and eating garbage out of machines. PLEASE go and ask the others who you want to be like. If you see the job you want.....go and ask them how they feel about it. Be informed. Dont just listen to me either. I am one voice out of 50,000 airline guys. Go ask a few more. If the "LOVE" of aviation could be enough then there would be many still married/many who did not take their own lives/ many whom still have their kids around them/many who have memories of being at home for holidays, birthdays, plays, sporting events of their children.
You have heard two guys sides of aviation. If you are smart (which I believe you are) get the facts! I am not putting anyone down. Mr. Bond however seems to think that others opinions are not valid and CRYING. Mr. Bond is a sharp guy no doubt if he is flying a G-5 but when guys have those kinds of jobs they are a bit out of touch with the rest of aviation. I dare to guess but if Mr. Bond would lose his job due to cut backs and then not be able to find another job making 150K a year or enough to keep his home/feed his family/keep his kids in school I would bet that he would be telling you, "GET THE FACTS" know that aviation is not all ritz.
No Crying here. Just the facts. I dont trust in my job for happiness. If you would like to speak to my son or daughters 21,18, 15 or my wife. Send me a pm and I will let them talk to you. If you still intend to get your flying.....you do not need a degree anymore. COMPASS AIRLINES is hiring with a GED. If you are seeking a college degree with flying......look up Southeastern Oklahoma State University. They have a good program and it is much cheaper than ERU. Good luck.

Well. What can I say! I'm glad I deal with the end result
Glad you figured it out and thanks for your business.
I just noticed your post. What version are you running?
this is great. This must be a lot of work.

iphone software