Senate Plans to Debate FAA Reauthorization Bill + 16 DCA Beyond Peremiter Slots

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
This week the Senate Plans to Debate FAA Reauthorization Bill, plus the authorization of 16 additional lucrative DCA Beyond Perimeter Slots. If US Airways is successful at obtaining some of these slots I understand the company is interested in flying an additional DCA-PHX round trip flight, DCA-SAN, DCA-LAX, and DCA-SFO trips, which are expected to be high yield markets.

Democrats push aviation bill as jobs program

See Story

Another Story

For more information US Airways' efforts to obtain these slots click here:

US Airways Capitol Connect

In my opinion, before US Airways can merge with another legacy carrier to provide US Airways' employees with industry leading pay, benefits, retirement, and career job security the Slot Transaction talks must conclude one way or another, the FAA Reauthorization Bill with the additional slots signed by President Obama (with DOT allocation) must be complete, and the pilot seniority integration must be finalized. I believe if the seniority integration is not complete it is unlikely that any carrier would want to merge with US Airways because the Tempe-based cannot integrate.

Therefore, is USAPA's seniority integration fight preventing US Airways from merging and jeopardizing the job security of 31,000 employees if a "shock event" occurs like the potential problem in Egypt because the Tempe-based company is the most vulnerable hub-and-spoke airline? Is USAPA playing Jeopardy or Russian Roulette with your career and are US airways' employees tired of never having career job security?

This week the Senate Plans to Debate FAA Reauthorization Bill, plus the authorization of 16 additional lucrative DCA Beyond Perimeter Slots. If US Airways is successful at obtaining some of these slots I understand the company is interested in flying an additional DCA-PHX round trip flight, DCA-SAN, DCA-LAX, and DCA-SFO trips, which are expected to be high yield markets.

See Story

Another Story

US Airways Capital Connect

In my opinion, before US Airways can merge with another legacy carrier to provide US Airways' employees with industry leading pay, benefits, retirement, and career job security the Slot Transaction talks must conclude one way or another, the FAA Reauthorization Bill with the additional slots signed by President Obama (with DOT allocation) must be complete, and the pilot seniority integration must be finalized. I believe if the seniority integration is not complete it is unlikely that any carrier would want to merge with US Airways because the Tempe-based cannot integrate.

Therefore, is USAPA's seniority integration fight preventing US Airways from merging and jeopardizing the job security of 31,000 employees if a "shock event" occurs like the potential problem in Egypt because the Tempe-based company is the most vulnerable hub-and-spoke airline? Is USAPA playing Jeopardy or Russian Roulette with your career and are US airways' employees tired of never having career job security?
[edited] usa 320,

I think the company has trumped usapa as the hold up with their request from the courts regarding confirmation of whether they must use the nic or usapa's list.

I remember when Rocky and Bullwinkle (Rakesh and Wolf) were here and our contract was under negotiation. I got questions from dispatchers, and other employees about why we were holding up negotiations and threatening the viability of our company. The bottom line is we caved in to the pressure (as a group) and ended up with loa 93, we gave up many pilot. jobs and for every pilot job that left approx. 8 other employees left the property and managment wasted every damn penney we gave them.

There will always be some catastrophe in this business real, imagined, or just plain manufactured by airline managements or some airline ANALyst so I think the best thing all of us can do is not let these distractions panic us otherwise we will always be going backwards. We should just let our union whether it be alpa, usapa, ibt or whatever get us the best contract they can and they company will accept it if they can afford it Of course they will never admit they can afford it because of the situation in Greece, or Egypt, or Europe, or the cost of fuel , or sun spots, or volcanoes, floods, famine, pestilence, you get the idea.

Regards,

Bob

Reactions: 2 people
It's just a perimeter rule look... Don't use fear and doubt to make your case... It doesn't sit well.
we have all given up so much and most people don't care if they shut this place down at this point.

USAPA is executing their plan very well.

ALPA Sux

See Story

Another Story

US Airways Capital Connect

The anwer is yes to your question....if you want to sacrifice the bottom 75% of the East
pilots on the alter of NIC. I don't think so. Go back in your hole.

NICDOA
NPJB

I thought they fired you for posting catcrew infromation on the internet for everyone to see, if I were you I would not go near a computer!!!!(again)

[edited] usa 320,

I think the company has trumped usapa as the hold up with their request from the courts regarding confirmation of whether they must use the nic or usapa's list.

I remember when Rocky and Bullwinkle (Rakesh and Wolf) were here and our contract was under negotiation. I got questions from dispatchers, and other employees about why we were holding up negotiations and threatening the viability of our company. The bottom line is we caved in to the pressure (as a group) and ended up with loa 93, we gave up many pilot. jobs and for every pilot job that left approx. 8 other employees left the property and managment wasted every damn penney we gave them.

There will always be some catastrophe in this business real, imagined, or just plain manufactured by airline managements or some airline ANALyst so I think the best thing all of us can do is not let these distractions panic us otherwise we will always be going backwards. We should just let our union whether it be alpa, usapa, ibt or whatever get us the best contract they can and they company will accept it if they can afford it Of course they will never admit they can afford it because of the situation in Greece, or Egypt, or Europe, or the cost of fuel , or sun spots, or volcanoes, floods, famine, pestilence, you get the idea.

Regards,

Bob

I agree wholeheartedly with your very diplomatic reply. I wanted to say these same things, but I would not have been as nice about it!

It's just a perimeter rule look... Don't use fear and doubt to make your case... It doesn't sit well.
we have all given up so much and most people don't care if they shut this place down at this point.

USAPA is executing their plan very well.

ALPA Sux

Exactly. Let's focus on only the pilots for a change. When we try to "save the airline" for everybody else, we end up getting screwed by the company. If it shuts down, it shuts down. Time to move on. Life goes on post-US Airways.

The Captain cares...his ego requires this job.

Sad. Likely true, but very sad.

I thought they fired you for posting catcrew infromation on the internet for everyone to see, if I were you I wouold not go near a computer!!!!

ALPA got him his job back. But I think part of the deal was the sale of his soul to ALPA. Hence, he's the perennial ALPA apologist.

Back on topic,

My understanding of the perimeter rule was to force long range traffic to larger airports such as IAD and JFK to reduce congestion, but at the time, it was also a performance issue, as early jet aircraft loaded with enough fuel for a 2000 mile plus flight couldn't use a 7000 foot runway safely.

It seems like part of the equation has changed, making the rule unnecessary, however, the congestion issue still remains.

Maybe it's time to relax it finally...except I think you'll have an easier time of it at DCA than you will LGA.

Back on topic,

My understanding of the perimeter rule was to force long range traffic to larger airports such as IAD and JFK to reduce congestion, but at the time, it was also a performance issue, as early jet aircraft loaded with enough fuel for a 2000 mile plus flight couldn't use a 7000 foot runway safely.

It seems like part of the equation has changed, making the rule unnecessary, however, the congestion issue still remains.

Maybe it's time to relax it finally...except I think you'll have an easier time of it at DCA than you will LGA.

Pretty much all of the equation has changed. The aircraft do have far superior performance now, and there is no earthly reason to "force" traffic to the "less used" IAD, JFK and EWR (since those airports are now equally congested as DCA and LGA.)

As far as congestion goes, eliminating the perimeter rule would have little impact on either DCA or LGA, as they would remain slot controlled (a totally unrelated subject.) What you would see is far, far fewer Dash 8s, Canadairs and Embraers at those airports. LCC uses Dash 8s on mainline slots at LGA to keep the slots active. I'm not certain if that's the case in DCA, but likely. Other carriers probably do the same on a smaller scale than LCC. Those mainline slots would quickly move to mainline aircraft if the perimeter rules were dropped.

Dropping the perimeter rule at DCA sounds much more likely than LGA, because the rule at LGA is imposed by the PANYNJ. If it is possible to imagine a bureaucracy that is slower, less flexible, less attentive and more intransigent than the federal government (which controls DCA,) then you have imagined the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Latest posts