Sept 27th

AL-PS-PI-AW

Advanced
Aug 24, 2005
So the 27th of this month is slated as the day that the "new" US Airways will be born.
On that day can we expect that the America West name will be no longer used? Are all HP signage going to beremoved from airports(i know that will take time)? Will US Airways be used in all announcements?
If we are all going to be one US Airways, why arent HP flights showing as US in SABRE from October on?

AmWest era seeing its final days
By John Yantis, Tribune
September 10, 2005
The days of America West Airlines are dwindling to a precious few.
If all goes well, the merger of the hometown airline with U.S. Airways will close in less than three weeks.

America West’s name will be gone. The new company will be still be based in Tempe, but called US Airways.

The carrier that began 22 years ago with three aircraft and 280 employees will move from a regional to a national player, a development that may cause a few nostalgic pangs in the East Valley.

"We had a 20-year employee dinner last week," said Phil Gee, America West spokesman. "It was a really good time. It was the last one as America West."

The countdown to changing the company begins Tuesday when America West shareholders are expected to vote in favor of the deal. To avoid the ruckus caused at the last shareholders meeting by union heads and one angry stock owner who wanted to know merger details before they were announced in May, Tuesday’s vote will not be shown on the Web, and there will no questions taken from the audience.

A vote will be followed by hearing Thursday in a Virginia bankruptcy court. If the judge decides US Airways should exit from bankruptcy, the merger will close in 10 business days, or on Sept. 29, Gee said.

It appears America West is confident things will go its way.

A "Goodbye America West" celebration or employees and the public will be 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sept. 20 at its headquarters in downtown Tempe. Annex rooms will be filled with memorabilia.

The new US Airways will remember America West and other airlines that have gone into making the company through a logo that will be painted on every one it’s aircraft.

"There will always be an America West presence that will represented on every aircraft and we’ll even have a special aircraft painted just in the America West livery," Gee said. "You’re really giving kind of a homage to the past, where we all came from and where we’re going. There’s nothing wrong being proud of where you came from."

For passengers, the two companies will combine operations first at America West’s hub in Las Vegas. Banners will go up Sept. 21 and the two will begin sharing tickets counters and gates.

Signs at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will begin changing Sept. 20, but no date is set on when the two carriers will combine operations there.

"As far as airport confusion, we only have 38 markets that are dually served," Gee said. "That’s not too bad at all and it will be phased in over several weeks. The problem is, like for example in Phoenix, we’re in Terminal 4 and they’re in Terminal 2 , so you’ll have people that will leave from Terminal 2 and maybe come back and they’ll land in Terminal 4. Of course the airports will help with that and we’ll just shuttle people. A lot of the airports we serve are in the same area. We’ve got to merge those ticket counters."

An airline consultant says the companies have done a good job in heading off any confusion by using in-flight announcements on both airlines and sending e-mails to frequent fliers.

"They’re way out in front of the actual public face being combined," said Bob Mann of R.W. Mann & Co., an airline industry analysis and consulting firm in New York. "It was both necessary and good to see in the sense they’re banking on a lot of revenue synergy in the business plan that’s going forward. On the other hand, I imagine for some of the America West originals, it will be kind of a wistful moment, but, that being said, I think there’s a lot of look forward to."

Early next week, the company will release information concerning what passengers should expect when it comes to ticketing and luggage under the merged company.

It will take four days to take down the America West sign at its Rio Salado Parkway headquarters and put up the new name. The unveiling is expected to happen the week of Sept. 26, and it will coincide with the closing of the merger. The new company’s frequent flier program will be announced within a day of the merger’s closing, Gee said. Gee said the company will announce soon whether America West Arena will get a name change.

Will USAirways and AMerica West operate two seperate websites once the merger is finalized? Who is taking over the website, will they keep the USAirways website and their ecommerce department or is that all going to Tempe? I suppose if the company is going with America West's computer system the USAirways website won't be of much use to them anyway.

Was told by a US agent in PHX that all current US PHL,CLT and PIT flights will operate out of Terminal 4 beginning October 4th.
Whats that terminal like? Nice operations?

AL-PS-PI-AW said:
Was told by a US agent in PHX that all current US PHL,CLT and PIT flights will operate out of Terminal 4 beginning October 4th.
[post="298688"][/post]​

They have been remodeling terminal 4, and it is VERY pretty. You guys will like it! Except it smells like fried food late in the day, which is kind of icky. B)

AL-PS-PI-AW said:
If we are all going to be one US Airways, why arent HP flights showing as US in SABRE from October on?
[post="298669"][/post]​

you are still (technically) going to be operating two seperate airlines (with two seperate operating certificates) until fully integrated. You can't just automatically change all the flight numbers to US because it will create a logistical nightmare operationally. What they are trying to do is make it a seamless type service to the customer while everything in the background is still two seperate operations. Initially it will all start as a "codeshare" type agreement. US flights will show up in AWA system as a code share flight number and vice versa. The codesharing will be phased in to allow a slow transition to work bugs out. It should also ensure that we aren't double booking flights and the the transition of Shares talking to SABRE works smoothly. Dumping both systems into one another instantly would be a huge mistake.

You will need to keep the "codeshare" type of numberiing system until labor agreements are worked out. This allows AWA crews to fly AWA flights and US crews to fly US flights. Once all the contracts are settled they can work on a combined schedule for airplanes and crews. In the PI/US merger, we were "technically" merged in 1987 but operationally we didn't merge flights and schedules for almost 2 years.

There are issues with the Web and Kiosks that are being worked out. Each may have an icon that you will hit to check in for US or AWA. It will take time to transition these areas. It can't happen overnight. Short term pain for long term gain.

There is also a short list of stations that will be integrated and when. I thought I read that LAS would be the first station we would co-locate, but I can't remember.....I will have to look and see if I can find it

MarkMyWords said:
I thought I read that LAS would be the first station we would co-locate, but I can't remember.....I will have to look and see if I can find it
[post="298733"][/post]​

I recently spoke to a US TA in LAS who told me that LAS was the first station to be integrated. I was surprised that it wasn't PHL. :lol:

By the way, that TA is one of the nicest TA's at US and she is leaving the company soon. :down:

MarkMyWords said:
LAS will co-locate on Sept 21
SJO will co locate on Sept 27
PIT and PHL will co-locate on Sept 28
[post="298887"][/post]​
Have you heard anything about BOS? There are 3 open gates(1,2 &3). They were leased to Delta Shuttle and are now available. It would make sense.

nothing yet.....that was the short list from AWA's Plane News. I am sure there is a plan, but no dates yet. I know connectability is a top priority. I would expect BOS and DCA to be a top priority as well.

LAS Airport a few years ago went generic with it's gates, signs and computers so any airline could use any gate.
That makes it the easiest transition.

I think more and more airports want to try and go to common use gates. Seems to make sense. Then you aren't tied to any one airline. As airline stability fluxuates, the airports ability to adapt (cheaply) could help entice new airlines. Aren't the gates on PHL A-West Common use gates?

AL-PS-PI-AW said:
[post="298688"][/post]​

Here is a diagram of T4. http://www.gofox.com/flights/airportmaps/phx.gif
AWA has the 4 north concourses. Imagine how those alleyways look when flights are leaving and coming in at the same time! :shock: Now PIT has a perfectly designed terminal http://www.gofox.com/flights/airportmaps/pit.gif In and out like shi'ite through a goose! :up: