Servant Leadership

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Talking to one of my buddies in maintenance. Many of the Airtran leaders are starting to take Management positions at their station overseeing them. This is going over like a lead balloon.

Talk of the good old days under Herb and "Servant Leadership" came up during the conversation.

Although contract positions are not being interviewed because of collective bargaining agreements should there should be the same expectation for management?

Why is the company not interviewing for those positions keeping in mind our classic style of leadership? Why are they are diluting of management under Airtran with no sense of history or knowledge as to what has made Southwest Airlines successful? Finally, we spoke of our positions without the "Classic" style of leadership of the past will make Southwest no more than just a place to punch a clock.

Are these fears unfounded?

Leadership expectations at Southwest: develop people, build great teams, think strategically, excellent results and the identification with the values of the company.

Based on these expectations it becomes clear how the theoretical approach to specific guidelines and principles of conduct was formulated. Therefore very careful attention is paid to whether potential employees meet the values of the company: "Hire for attitude and train for skill". The value system consists of three core values: "warrior spirit", as defined by the desire to get excellent results, "a servant's heart" or “to put others first”, as well as "a fun-loving attitude," which means not to take themselves too seriously. The executive’s purpose is also to create a very positive and familiar working environment. The "fun" image of Southwest has become an important part of the corporate culture. It´s also in the company´s best interests to communicate this to their customers. These are also characteristics of the behavior of a servant leader: active listening, empathy, healing and the formation of a community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_leadership

Reactions: 2 people
Talking to one of my buddies in maintenance. Many of the Airtran leaders are starting to take Management positions at their station overseeing them. This is going over like a lead balloon.

Talk of the good old days under Herb and "Servant Leadership" came up during the conversation.

Although contract positions are not being interviewed because of collective bargaining agreements should there should be the same expectation for management?

Why is the company not interviewing for those positions keeping in mind our classic style of leadership? Why are they are diluting of management under Airtran with no sense of history or knowledge as to what has made Southwest Airlines successful? Finally, we spoke of our positions without the "Classic" style of leadership of the past will make Southwest no more than just a place to punch a clock.

Leadership expectations at Southwest: develop people, build great teams, think strategically, excellent results and the identification with the values of the company.

Based on these expectations it becomes clear how the theoretical approach to specific guidelines and principles of conduct was formulated. Therefore very careful attention is paid to whether potential employees meet the values of the company: "Hire for attitude and train for skill". The value system consists of three core values: "warrior spirit", as defined by the desire to get excellent results, "a servant's heart" or “to put others first”, as well as "a fun-loving attitude," which means not to take themselves too seriously. The executive’s purpose is also to create a very positive and familiar working environment. The "fun" image of Southwest has become an important part of the corporate culture. It´s also in the company´s best interests to communicate this to their customers. These are also characteristics of the behavior of a servant leader: active listening, empathy, healing and the formation of a community.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they will be on the chopping block here shortly. Moving them over now, allow the CBA's to come together with confidence b/c the management team was brought over, then start slimming the fat off... This GK guy is pretty devious...

I was so pleasantly surprised to see a thread titled "Servant Leadership"!

Many could learn from studying him, good and bad.

How Full is Your Bucket?

Reactions: 1 person
My observation is, it is awful hard to get fired at SWA. Sometimes you wonder if there is any accountability in management.

Reactions: 2 people
Well that's great! This whole time, people have been parading around how great of a company SWA is and how wondeful it is to work there but to me it seems like it's just more of the same!! All this promise of a better QOL and instead it's starting to sound like Obama's presidency!! Not only is the crap upper management from AT going over and infecting SWA, but it's starting to sound like SWA already has a pretty infected management team already...

Well that's great! This whole time, people have been parading around how great of a company SWA is and how wondeful it is to work there but to me it seems like it's just more of the same!! All this promise of a better QOL and instead it's starting to sound like Obama's presidency!! Not only is the crap upper management from AT going over and infecting SWA, but it's starting to sound like SWA already has a pretty infected management team already...

All together now,,,

Kum ba yah! Kum ba yah :rolleyes:

AvTech

Your premise is adviserial. I can tell you, we are flawed, but the management people I know try to work hard had taking care of their people. We have a shared history though. Most know what Herb and Colleen have in mind when they advance to a leadership roll. If you haven't lived our history then you would not know that. Put a lot of years in here seeing the Culture "infected" would be a very sad thing indeed.

Comeover with a sense of humility you will go far. I don't say that because you or anyone else are coming over from Airtran either...I say that because I came over humbly from Brand X years ago.. The difference for me though is it took three interviews to get a 6.50 hr ramp job....I knew the opportunity that presented itself. I took it..... and it was very hard a first. But it was the people and leadership that got me through ...So I do worry about a team of leaders who share no common bond of those hardships because that is what ties us together....

You will not win any friends trashing the company who brought you in and have given you this opportunity with no questions asked. That in itself should be a say alot for our manangment team.

This thread is funny! As a SWA empoyee I can tell you that we are not perfect nor do we perceive ourselves to be, however that being said it is BY FAR the best airline to work for, PERIOD. I work with guys from EVERY other airline and it is the concensus. And as far as the AT "management" goes, been there seen that. @ lineguy I dont know what youve seen , but ive witnessed plenty of firings, enough to know they dont play. Also I have witnessed many "great additions" to the management only to be used as examples of how not to treat the front line employees. BYE BYE..... likely that a large portion of the transitional AT mgt. does not make the final cut. I have also seen people promoted to mgt. from unionized positions, and then when the protection is off, no whammies no whammies no whammies, GOODBYE.

Yeah - but look at what is happening within SWA now. We have managers over managers over managers, and each one coming up with their share of garbage rules and projects so that they can justify their existence. I don't feel like typing a book right now - but suffice it to say that the more the company gets away from letting the "grunts" at the bottom level use their brains and life experience to make their jobs more efficient and save the company $ - the worse we are gonna get. The "industry standard" is NOT what got us to where we are. Making "blanket" rules and procedures that ALL have to follow - even though each station may have it's own specific needs and circumstances - that is not what got us to where we are.
And just giving these AT people an equivalent job with better pay/benefits at SWA - just because they were lucky enough to have us buy them - WITHOUT an interview or probationary period???? Can you say "goin down in flames"????

Yeah - but look at what is happening within SWA now. We have managers over managers over managers, and each one coming up with their share of garbage rules and projects so that they can justify their existence. I don't feel like typing a book right now - but suffice it to say that the more the company gets away from letting the "grunts" at the bottom level use their brains and life experience to make their jobs more efficient and save the company $ - the worse we are gonna get. The "industry standard" is NOT what got us to where we are. Making "blanket" rules and procedures that ALL have to follow - even though each station may have it's own specific needs and circumstances - that is not what got us to where we are.
And just giving these AT people an equivalent job with better pay/benefits at SWA - just because they were lucky enough to have us buy them - WITHOUT an interview or probationary period???? Can you say "goin down in flames"????
I agree. I am not by any means damming anyone. I am very skeptical though.....I think the litmus test is to ask someone who crosses over, and in the managment spot, who Rollin King is....if they can answer that.....That should give you a good idea of how interested they are in our history...

I think I look at it this way to put it in the simplest terms. Our Airline and the way it has been run is like having the secret recipe for "Classic Coke" which has made us successful.....Now allowing folks into roles of leadership and have no Idea how we have brewed it up until this point will screw up the receipe and if you been around long enough we all know what a success "New Coke" was...

Latest posts